Tune ID

IdleRich

IdleRich
Just watched Century of the Self and there is a piece of music I want IDing - it's got a kind of surf/exotica guitar and it has library style electronics in the background. The credits don't mention it and everywhere on the internet lists only four pieces of music (Brahms, Louis Armstrong, Raymond Scott and Arvo Part) none of which are it - although it sounds as though it ought to be Raymond Scott.
Anybody got any ideas?
Cheers

IdleRich

IdleRich
Er, maybe, I'm completely useless with computers and I haven't got a computer or a telly - but it would help wouldn't it. I'll see what I can do...

IdleRich

IdleRich
No, you're right. It was stupid to ask without a soundfile. I'll get one of my friends to do it for me. I was just hoping that someone might have it at their fingertips having investigated on watching the programme.
For what it's worth, it's not a Joe Meek one I recognise and from what I remember it hasn't got any reverb, echo or compression. Martin Denny is a good guess I reckon but then there could be loads of good guesses.

N

nomadologist

almost every recording has some amount of echo, reverb and compression. especialyl if it was recorded post-1985

IdleRich

IdleRich
"almost every recording has some amount of echo, reverb and compression. especialyl if it was recorded post-1985"
Well, maybe so but the reason I mentioned the lack of reverb etc was to suggest that it probably wasn't by Joe Meek as he was known for sticking all of that kind of stuff all over his productions to a fairly extreme degree.
I'm guessing that the record was made before 1985 anyhow, although I could very easily be wrong.

N

nomadologist

I'm trying really hard to think of what sounds that convincingly reverb, echo, etc. free...we don't get that program in the US so I can't hear it anyway :(

IdleRich

IdleRich
I'm trying really hard to think of what sounds that convincingly reverb, echo, etc. free...we don't get that program in the US so I can't hear it anyway
I think that I'm expressing myself very badly here, I don't mean to say that it was notable for its lack of compression, just that it wasn't notable for having lots of compression which would be something I would expect if it were a Joe Meek production.
This is the most pointless thread ever. Sorry.
On the other hand, it's really worth watching the programme, if you do ever get the chance to check it out it's very interesting even if you don't subscribe to everything (or anything) he says. No doubt discussed at great length on here somewhere....