Web site traffic

Leo

a dumb question from a non-techie but here it goes...

is there a free online resource for finding traffic statistics (ie, number of readers/vistitors) to various web site? working on a project where i have to estimate the number of reader impressions received for a particular story that's been covered on web sites around the world. ideally, i'd like to be able to enter the site name or url of a site and get an answer like "XYZ web site has 34,652 unique visitors per day."

did some googling and aware that there's lots of disagreement about how/if this is possible. alexis is confusing (give tracking as % of total global internet traffic as calculated from thier toolbar [aka, spywae?]) and trafficestimate.com simply gives a figure for visitors per month with no explanation of methodology, etc.

any help/suggestions greatly appreciate.

borderpolice

a dumb question from a non-techie but here it goes...

is there a free online resource for finding traffic statistics (ie, number of readers/vistitors) to various web site?.

are you talking about websites that you own/have access to the html? in that case you could use google analytics or some comparable service. Easy to use and comprehensive.

Leo

are you talking about websites that you own/have access to the html? in that case you could use google analytics or some comparable service. Easy to use and comprehensive.

thanks, but this is different from what i need. i want to find out the readership (average # of unique visitors per day or something) of a few dozen different news/business media web sites around the world. not things i own/run.

Dusty

Tone deaf
I don't think what you are asking is possible without breaking some kind of data privacy rules, you are basically trying to poach information from their server. Statistics are built up from logs of IP hits to the site and the pages served to those IPs. That data belongs to the sites owners. You could try asking the sites to give you the info... although there are good reasons why they may not want you knowing how (un)popular they are.

Leo

thanks. not looking for anything confidential, just general readership demographics that any print magazine would provide (# of subscriptions and newsstand sales).

for the bigger media sites, i've often been able to find a media kit in the "advertiser with us" section that provide general traffic figures for ad sales purposes.

thanks again.

Leo

thank you, sir. yeah, i tried them (mistakenly called it "alexis" in my initial post), it provides site rankings and traffic as a % of total global internet users. had to do that calculation to get an estimate on average # of visitors.

appreciate the help.