105 Bpm

zhao

there are no accidents
making a mix at the mo around 105 -- like the uppest of uptempo hiphop, or the downest of downtempo house. it seems this is a really good groovy party dance tempo -- energizing yet sexy and mellow at the sametime. a lot of 70s soul funk floor fillers are in this range, as is a lot of cumbia niceness.

but it seems that modern dance music producers don't usually do this tempo. seems strange. can you think of any modern dance music that uses this?

Chris

fractured oscillations
That's a good question... all I can of think that's coming out these days is some of the new cosmic/italo style disco stuff like Lindstrom et al.

I can't really think of much dance since the 80s or early 90s that's used that tempo either... most italo did I believe, definitely a lot of new jack swing, some early 90s dancepop like Snap! - "The Power" etc, some hip house, maybe the occasional freestyle song...? Def a fun tempo.

I'd be interested to hear that mix when you're done!

smn

You should check the first track on Sascha Dive's The Basic Collective EP (Part 1 of 3): http://www.discogs.com/release/950480

The whole EP is great but that track in particular is super deep and super funky and comes in somewhere down around the low 100s I guess. Nice spoken word vocal too :cool:

zhao

there are no accidents
word up for the suggestions!

just realized most reggaeton is around this time, but not too much reggae or dancehall... save for, of course, the BamBam riddim. and ha, shaolin tempo riddim is also 105 -- if i want to take the mix to a murderous psychotic place!!! err....

elgato

I just dont know
too true! i would love to hear the mix

Theo Parrish for sure, along with the other detroit house bunch... Moodyman, Omar S etc. Even the faster stuff would work pitched down too i reckon

as Chris says too, there's loads of nu disco stuff at this tempo, but maybe its not quite the vibe you want i dunno

a few oddities i've come across around this tempo...

Abe Duque - Untitled (ADR008)
Rekid - Tranzit - his Lost Star EP is awesome too, and quite downtempo
Spandex - Tepid Water

a bit faster, but could probably be happily pitched down...

Toe Jam - You Can't Hurt Me (Toe Jam & JD73 remix)

also, did you hear Dixon's recent Resident Advisor Podcast? again, it was maybe a little faster, but still

Last edited:

Chris

fractured oscillations
Oh yeah, on the older tip... a lot of "baggy" stuff was around that tempo range too. Primal Scream, Happy Mondays, etc, especially old Andrew Weatherall remixes from around that time... if you're into that sort of thing. ;) (me... hell yes if I'm in the right mood)

Last edited:

barry_abs

lil' beyutch
coincidentally, i was thinking this yesterday..i kinda know it as a slow disco / fast hiphop tempo.. can really work for me though, like in the shogun assassin theme and Talaagh.. i started something myself in 105 yesterday (mystic blade on my myspace) - s'alright, but i'm tempted to speed it up a touch and dump certain elements.

elgato

I just dont know
not that im at all an authority, but in the contemporary disco thing, a lot of which is slower tempo, i would say to check out Quiet Village, he's been killing it for my money. and Metro Area if you haven't already, along with the various works of Morgan Geist, Darshan Jesrani and Kelley Polar (and maybe Daniel Wang too)

i also have this awesome and very eclectic set by bristol-based Sell By Dave, a lot of which is probably around that tempo, its mostly not new stuff, but really good

Sell By Dave - NYE@Trinity

1. L. Pierre – Gullsong (Melodic Records)
2. Chris Carter – Moonlight [Tonic Re-Edit] (Mindless Boogie)
3. Anders Weiderwoller – Belladonna [Tangoterje Re-Edit] (Balearic Biscuits)
4. Felix Laband – Whistling In Tongues [Todd Terje Remix] (Compost Records)
5. Earth, Wind & Fire – Drum Song [Edit] (white label)
6. Paul Simon – Can’t Run But (WEA)
7. The Justified Ancients Of Mu Mu – Burn The Bastards [Excerpt] (KLF Communications)
8. Orange Juice – Rip It Up [Long Version] (Polydor)
9. Chris Rea – On The Beach [Megamix] (Balearic Biscuits)
10. Mudd – 54B [Original Version] (Rong)
11. LSB – Original Highway Delight (Eskimo Recordings)
12. The Osmonds – I,.I, I [Quiet Village No Edit] (Eskimo Recordings)
13. Weirdo Police – Full Moon & Thunder [Floor Mix] (Redux)
14. Roxy Music – Same Old Scene [Glimmers Remix] (Virgin/EMI)
15. The Turtles – Happy Together [Wade Nichols Edit] (Mindless Boogie)

swears

preppy-kei
Darshan Jesrani and Kelley Polar (and maybe Daniel Wang too)

i also have this awesome and very eclectic set by bristol-based Sell By Dave, a lot of which is probably around that tempo, its mostly not new stuff, but really good

Sell By Dave - NYE@Trinity

1. L. Pierre – Gullsong (Melodic Records)
2. Chris Carter – Moonlight [Tonic Re-Edit] (Mindless Boogie)
3. Anders Weiderwoller – Belladonna [Tangoterje Re-Edit] (Balearic Biscuits)
4. Felix Laband – Whistling In Tongues [Todd Terje Remix] (Compost Records)
5. Earth, Wind & Fire – Drum Song [Edit] (white label)
6. Paul Simon – Can’t Run But (WEA)
7. The Justified Ancients Of Mu Mu – Burn The Bastards [Excerpt] (KLF Communications)
8. Orange Juice – Rip It Up [Long Version] (Polydor)
9. Chris Rea – On The Beach [Megamix] (Balearic Biscuits)
10. Mudd – 54B [Original Version] (Rong)
11. LSB – Original Highway Delight (Eskimo Recordings)
12. The Osmonds – I,.I, I [Quiet Village No Edit] (Eskimo Recordings)
13. Weirdo Police – Full Moon & Thunder [Floor Mix] (Redux)
14. Roxy Music – Same Old Scene [Glimmers Remix] (Virgin/EMI)
15. The Turtles – Happy Together [Wade Nichols Edit] (Mindless Boogie)

That is well balearic. Nice one.

ripley

yeah, sorry I missed this. I woulda chimed in that tons of hyphy is at this speed.

Frontline - Take That
E-40 - Flamboastin'
San Quinn - Dumb
Turf Talk - Do the Robot

also Ghislain Poirier has a slew of tunes at around 105

maybe there should be a companion mix.. or part 2?

Freakaholic

not just an addiction
i sometimes do a whole set at this range. usually 105-115 somewhere in there. and when i do, its to spin a lot of the 90s dance and late 80s electro stuff that is slow.

the one name i can pull out off the top of my head is Snap - I got the Power. Its gotta be down there pretty close.

Ditto on the reggaeton. What is weird though, is that most dub is either at hip hop speeds (90ish) or at dubstep speeds (130-140, or more likely half that).

I find the electro such as Dub Dis and Bomb the Bass tend to be in those lower regions, as well as some industrial (a Pig song that i cant remember the name of for sure).

The main problem with my memory is that i know exactly what chunk to reach for in my crated for stuff of that speed, but i cant remember any names.