new rock bands that don't suck

zhao

there are no accidents
I'm a bit overwhelmed. after discovering Oxbow a few months back I've just stumbled upon 2 more good to great sounding groups:

Ulan Bator

Turzi

both happen to be french. anyone else here like them?

big satan

HA-DO-KEN!
i wouldn't call oxbow or ulan bator "new".

der tpk
blues control
los llamarada
times new viking
tall firs
clockcleaner
heavy winged
thunderbolt pagoda

i wouldn't call oxbow or ulan bator "new".

der tpk
blues control
los llamarada
times new viking
tall firs
clockcleaner
heavy winged
thunderbolt pagoda

Los Llamarada are fun. Is there something new from Clockcleaner? I only know one EP (forgot the name, it has a woman with bees coming out of her mouth on the cover) from ca. 3 years ago, but that's quite nice.

Noah Baby Food

Clockcleaner are good...I think their new album is called "Nevermind". nice. return to the sleaze-infested dodginess of the Big Black days, which is fuckin alright by me boss.

Pissed Jeans aren't new but their new album is great.

Personally I'm getting right back into old noise-rock, hardcore and thrash metal. God Bullies, first two Agnostic Front LPs, Bad Brains, Sodom, Exodus are some of my current favourites.

What new bands would I like then? I love Flipper, the Stooges, Angry Samoans, early Butthole Surfers. Help me out.

Noah Baby Food

tell you what as well, maybe too 'mainstream' for yez or what have you, but i think the Grinderman album is pretty damn good. It's indicative of how ABSOLUTELY FUCKING WANK, RETRO AND BEREFT most 'popular' guitar music is when a bunch of hoary old 40-somethings kick the fucking arses of all these little 80s wannabe posh young shavers.

Clockcleaner are good...I think their new album is called "Nevermind". nice. return to the sleaze-infested dodginess of the Big Black days, which is fuckin alright by me boss.

Yes, reminded me a lot of Big Black and Jesus Lizard, they sound like real assholes :D

What new bands would I like then? I love Flipper, the Stooges, Angry Samoans, early Butthole Surfers. Help me out.

There's tons of good rock of the noisy variant out there, in a myriad of forms. From the bands you mention you seem to be more into the trashy punkish stuff, which isnt't exactly my specialty, but you should check out DJ Rick's Art for Spastics show, he plays a lot of stuff that could suit your taste.

sing_minimal

"thunderbolt pagoda"

i first thought those were two bands..then i remembered it's lightning bolt so im thinking this indeed is just one band. that pagoda album that came out this year has couple of decent songs on it as well. it's that michael pitt dude from last days, dreamers..

i checked los llamarada and i love what i heard so far..they remind me of some argentine band i forgot name of haha.

i love bardo pond, though they've been around for quite a while..

vibracathedral music and volcano the bear are awesome as well, though they probably don't fit into the rock thing.

there are lots of splendid japanese rock bands as well, though i mostly know of those noise oriented or psychedelic ones..

edit; that argentine band is reynols ofcourse!

Last edited:

zhao

there are no accidents
bands that i SHOULD like (from description, theory, and "what they do") but don't at all:

Lightning Bolt, Wolf Mother, Motorpsycho, Acid Mothers Temple, Boris, Charalembide (spelling?)...

even the great bardo pond whom i used to like a lot wears terribly thin these days... it's the same shit over and over again :(

i should look into volcano the bear. and thanks for other suggestions.

dominic

Beast of Burden
even the great bardo pond whom i used to like a lot wears terribly thin these days... it's the same shit over and over again :(

argh! bardo pond -- probably the worst live show that i ever paid money to see in my life, back in 97 or thereabouts, at the now-shuttered side door club in st louis mo -- the lead singer was so depressed/depressing. i suspected she was on the outs with the other band members or something. or just sick of the schtick.

and so that brought an end to my brief flirtation with the mid-90s sonic youth bardo pond vein of music

bruno

est malade
i heard one called unicorn love a few months ago, it didn't suck at all. that's it, i'm not very up to date on this front.

Last edited:

sing_minimal

thunderbolt pagoda sound a bit like bardo pond but leans more towards drone doom which is an excellent thing. i shall look into this, cheers!