Current 2 step?

tryptych

waiting for a time
Is there anyone making contemporary good 2 step? I have no idea where I should be looking, so any pointers would be good... But not dubstep!

elgato

I just dont know
most current 2step i hear is terrible. even from masters like mj cole. ive seen the occassional interesting bit come through from techno / house and glitch breaks. but mostly its the rhythm / techniques recontextualised, with different vibes

But not dubstep!

why?

Last edited:

leamas

for what it's worth i just finished a 2step thing recently. have a listen here.

also check out the hessle audio stuff. there's a hungarian artist called trg who makes great modern sounding 2step.

in the right hands 2step could be due a proper renaissance. it's a shame that the groove chronicles stuff, to my knowledge, hasn't really moved on much since hits like stone cold and buck n bury. there was a time when some of the minimal producers were succesfully trying their hand at 2step beats, eg akufen (see his remix of massive attack 'special cases') and thomas melchior. equally some of the uk bass lot have made decent 2step style tracks, eg milanese 'vanilla monkey' and various neil landstrumm bits.

all my favourite old 2tep producers, eg wookie and mj cole, are making souful house now.

tryptych

waiting for a time

Because I have dubstep coming out of my ears, bored with tedious halfstep and I miss the shuffle and bounce of 2 step.

Milanese, Ardisson etc are ok - but a bit too sonically harsh for my current taste... I guess I should probably be digging for old stuff.

elgato

I just dont know
yeh ardisson is good, try SOTEG too, and a few Si Begg/Buckfunk tracks. again, maybe a bit abrasive sonically but sick still

but i reckon dubstep is a lot more than boring halfstep, there are producers in the scene who are bringing the shuffle and swing. a few artists/tracks i see as carrying the torch in some sense...

TRG is very good, as leamas says
Shonky makes some sick stuff on a kind of Ghost tip. Warning is live
Martyn - Shadowcasting
Martyn - Everything About You
Peverelist - Erstwhile Riddim (Forsaken Remix) (scroll down)
Peverelist - The Grind
Shackleton - You Bring Me Down
theres a very deep Pinch track with amazing swung percussion on this Appleblim mix at about 1hr18, although its quite meditative. there are amazing new tracks from TRG and Peverelist on here too
and i always think that Mala's stuff is really garagey in the rhythms

but as you say, if what you really want is 2step, then maybe its about digging back

Last edited:

leamas

Nice little tune. Try and put a few more rhythmic break into your next tune, that would be my recommendation. Did you sample the vox or got singers in?

thanks for checking out the tune borderpolice, yr input is much appreciated. vox snippets are off jodeci freak 'n'you.

if you were going to resurrect 2step how would you go about it?

it'd be difficult because 2step is so inseperable from those old skool sounds (organ basslines, the standard breaks, etc). i liked that beeper tune that sinden did, that seemed to capture some of the essence of speed garage (less 2step) with a modern edge.

outraygeous

thanks for checking out the tune borderpolice, yr input is much appreciated. vox snippets are off jodeci freak 'n'you.

if you were going to resurrect 2step how would you go about it?

pick up the phone and ask DEM2 to make some tunes, the the list of phone calls would grow

noel emits

a wonderful wooden reason
yeh ardisson is good, try SOTEG too, and a few Si Begg/Buckfunk tracks. again, maybe a bit abrasive sonically but sick still

but i reckon dubstep is a lot more than boring halfstep, there are producers in the scene who are bringing the shuffle and swing. a few artists/tracks i see as carrying the torch in some sense...

TRG is very good, as leamas says
Shonky makes some sick stuff on a kind of Ghost tip. Warning is live
Martyn - Shadowcasting
Martyn - Everything About You
Peverelist - Erstwhile Riddim (Forsaken Remix) (scroll down)
Peverelist - The Grind
Shackleton - You Bring Me Down
theres a very deep Pinch track with amazing swung percussion on this Appleblim mix at about 1hr18, although its quite meditative. there are amazing new tracks from TRG and Peverelist on here too
and i always think that Mala's stuff is really garagey in the rhythms

but as you say, if what you really want is 2step, then maybe its about digging back

Darn, why did I sleep on that Martyn record - it's ace, where can I get one? And isn't it time Shonky had some stuff out?

noel emits

Yeah there's all kinds of tasty hybrids coming through, it's a good time - the best stuff is always hard to label.

elgato

I just dont know
yeh for sure, some good stuff round the periphery as always. and in fact still loads of good stuff coming from the central bunch. but anyways, this thread wants 2 step, so we should avoid turning it into another argument about dubstep!

Noel, Shadowcasting is on 12" with Broken on Revolve:R, and is still about online in quite a few places, and Everything About You is on Tempa Allstars 4 which dropped on promo but not full yet. i think its a shame its on Allstars, cos the 5 other tracks are dull (and in some cases thats to be kind)

UFO over easy

online mahjong
Noel, Shadowcasting is on 12" with Broken on Revolve:R, and is still about online in quite a few places, and Everything About You is on Tempa Allstars 4 which dropped on promo but not full yet. i think its a shame its on Allstars, cos the 5 other tracks are dull (and in some cases thats to be kind)

Yep... it's a massive shame, and it grates because I'll still end up buying it for Everything About You, although I do like the benga tune a lot as well. This one and volume 3 are both really disappointing. 2 ranks alongside the best dubstep releases ever though.

elgato

I just dont know
dont think i can stretch to pay that much for that track, given the number of records i want elsewhere :/ it is good though

1 and 2 are ridiculous. talking of good 2 step, Basic G from 1 is very much underrated i feel... Arthur Smith was about 4 years ahead of the curve on the techno/garage/dubstep crossover, listening to his Grain stuff its pretty mindblowing really. definitely one of my musical idols

Last edited:

noel emits

but anyways, this thread wants 2 step, so we should avoid turning it into another argument about dubstep!

Yeah don't mean to derail, just tryptych being so emphatic on the 'no d******' front kind of invites discussion about d******. :D

elgato

I just dont know
no of course, i was the one that started it!

i just didnt want to stifle anyone bringing anything interesting to the table from other places!

Johnny Dark is another obvious one. i read somewhere that he had a new collaborative project coming? does anyone know any more?