best house music post-1992

dominic

Beast of Burden
i realize this is not the most sporting of questions, and dissensus may well not be the appropriate forum for the question, but what do people reckon are the top 20 or so house tracks post-1992? let's say broadly within the "deep house," "trad garage" and "nu disco" categories . . . .

some of my faves =

daniel wang, "look mama no drum machine" (1993)

lindstrom, "i feel space" (2005)

rekid, "transit" (2005)

foremost poets, "open season" (2002)

rok and kato, "jungle kisses" (1993)

simbad, "gospel golpe" (2005)

and a 2-step ringer =

m-dubs, "over here" (1998)

errr, yes, if it's not obvious, after spending years tracking down old uk rave and early 80s/70s disco/oddities, i think i'm going to start collecting modern house music. and there's like a yawning abyss -- from 1993 to 2003 -- or even 2007, frankly -- where i have very little knowledge of the records and artists, though please try to avoid obvious stuff like basement jax, daft punk, derrick carter, mark farina, dennis ferrer, felix housecat, none of whom i particularly dig, and please also steer clear of uk broken beats and 2-step terrain . . . . and please also avoid detroit stuff, minimal stuff, etc

basically, i'm seeking pointers on the best chicago, the best new york, the best san fran from the 93 to 07 . . . . records from those years that stand the test of time

Gabba Flamenco Crossover

High Sierra Skullfuck
Mood II Swing - Do It Your Way

George Morel - Lets Groove

Delacey - Hideaway (obvious one but a bloody fantastic track)

DJ Skull - The Graveyard Orchestra

Russ Gabriel - Back In Charge

Glenn Underground - Beyond

DJ Spen - The Casbaah

Crime - Rhythm Graffiti

Thats off the top of my head - might update this if I get time to dig through tomorrow.

crackerjack

George Morel - Lets Groove

I was gonna nominate that one - sends shivers up & down my spine, that tune does.

Perhpas not too cool, but I think Faze Action's In The Trees still sounds ace.

Noah Baby Food

Anything on Relief Records

Almost anything on Radikal Fear Records

and the 'Future Sound Of New York' stuff for some deeper action...The Dhao, Tenaglia's 'Bottom Heavy', that kind of thing...doesn't get much props these days, surely due a reappraisal...

dominic

Beast of Burden
Anything on Relief Records

i'm partial to cajual records . . . .

relief is too technoid and "hard stomping," cajual's got more soul AND more sass

and the 'Future Sound Of New York' stuff for some deeper action...

don't know this label, will investigate

The Dhao, Tenaglia's 'Bottom Heavy', that kind of thing...doesn't get much props these days, surely due a reappraisal...

i like some of the early tenaglia stuff -- things like soul boy's "harmonica track" and cocodance's "angels of love" and soul verite's "chain me to the beat" -- but this is all 1991, early 1992

the dhao "surrender yourself" -- eh, this is where the artsy side of nu groove went -- of course, i think nu groove is massively over-rated -- but yeah, the tenaglia remix is perhaps unfairly forgotten -- maybe it does deserve reappraisal?

henry s

Street Fighting Man
16b - Sounds From Another Room LP
St. Germain - "Alabama Blues"
Shazz - A View Of Manhattan EP
Moodymann - "I Can't Kick This Feeling When It Hits"
Stardust - "Music Sounds Better With You"
River Ocean - "Love And Happiness"
Fire Island - "There But For The Grace Of God"

Chef Napalm

Lost in the Supermarket
French house! All that Crydamoure, Roule, and Fiat Lux stuff is the bomb.

Highlights:

Santa Claus - Le Knight Club (Crydamoure)
Unplugged - DJ Falcon (Roule)
Lovers - Rawman (Crydamoure)
Come Back - Superfunk (Fiat Lux)
Spaced Out - Play Paul

Nice to see you back, henry.

ripley

It's pretty funny that I'm posting on this at all, since generally I hate house music, or come from hating house music (and now kinda feeling the "blog house" crunchy breaky thing that Starkey et al do so well).

but here are two tracks I do love

Cajmere remix of DaJae's U Got Me Up. more like this would make me happy - any suggestions welcome!
In high school and mid-college times I would go to any parties that would let me in (in Boston there were very very few parties, and most were 21-and-over) and occasionally some of this style stuff would come up. But not often enough for me to find out more about it.

NOHA - Balkan Hotstep

sodiumnightlife

Sweet Virginia
i feel the need for someone to make me a mix of this stuff...i know a little bit about contemporary stuff and a little about the beginning but nothing about the middle.

Chef Napalm

Lost in the Supermarket
It's pretty funny that I'm posting on this at all, since generally I hate house music, or come from hating house music (and now kinda feeling the "blog house" crunchy breaky thing that Starkey et al do so well).
Everybody needs a little house now and then.

Cajmere remix of DaJae's U Got Me Up. more like this would make me happy - any suggestions welcome!
What is it that you like about it, ripley? That remix is pretty stripped down, IRRC. Not much more than a wailing diva over a drum track.

henry s

Street Fighting Man
good to be back, John...sorry about dropping the ball on the tape swap review...still have the tape, and still dig the mix...

and now, back to your regularly scheduled thread:

Kim English - "Nite Life"

turtles

in the sea
French house seconded. My fave roule would definitely be together - so much love to give

Plus there's all the real obvious big tunes, but hey they were big for a reason:

daft punk - around the world, da funk, one more time
stardust - music sounds better with you (you know you love this!)

ummm i'm sure there's more but can't think right now. also what about basement jaxx? rendez-vous (still probably my fave), red alert, where's your head at.

oh and luomo - tessio! one of the all-time greats.

mixed_biscuits

Oh yeah, and:

Sphinx - What Hope Have I

ripley

Everybody needs a little house now and then.

What is it that you like about it, ripley? That remix is pretty stripped down, IRRC. Not much more than a wailing diva over a drum track.

it is stripped down, but it works so well somehow! nothing extra, but plenty of implied swing.

I wouldn't say the vocal is a wailing diva, it's a pretty low-fi sounding swing/blues sample of a woman singing "come on now", no melisma, no wailing... and there is also a 1930s swing clarinet solo that loops through. it's bouncy and skippy but minimal. It makes me think of the earliest mickey mouse/betty boop cartoons when the whole landscape bounced along to the music.

man, i think it's the perfect house tune.