"Chav - the Musical"

bun-u

Trumpet Police
spotted this from Johann Hari in The Independent earlier this week on a vile new Edinburgh Fringe play, which seems a good companion piece to some of k-punk's (and friends) excellent recent posting on class

....but this looks like Sondheim compared to the most obnoxious show on the fringe: Chav – Its'a a Musical, Innit?' at the Underbelly. The only way to describe this show is to explain that a bunch of rich kids have put on a show for more rich kids, to ridicule a particular branch of the poor, because they talk and dress differently to them.

Two sub-human "chav" girls waddle on to the stage, talking like this: "I ain't had a period in three months, Precious."

"You know what that means, Destiny?"

Her face crumples: "It means I'm dying, don't it?"

"No, you're pregnant."

"Oh yeah, OK, I'll go nick a pregnancy kit."

"Yeah nick me some lip gloss an' all."

The expensively dressed audience gurgles with glee.

Imagine an hour of it. With Little Britain and Catherine Tate, we do not see the effect of this undiluted class hate, because it is dispersed across a thousand television screens. But here, it is concentrated into one audience, and I spent most of the show watching them, their faces contorted with chuckling hatred for the voices, clothes and even the names of people who live on estates. Those people who say hatred of "chavs" is not hatred of the poor should hear the punch lines here: "I want to spend my life with you/ and our little baby too/ in our council home," sings one girl, and that's it; that's the joke – living in a council house. Oh, how the audience roars.

This "musical" exemplifies the contradictory abuse directed at "chavs". For much of the play, they are sneered at as BNP-supporting racists. But then – another hilarious punch line – they are jeered at for having actually having sex with black and Asian people and producing mixed-race kids, when one of the characters sings upon seeing "his" newborn baby: "There's nothing here of me/ It's a brown baby." What will the company stage next – Wog – The Musical?

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Oh, good God. Spot-on article tho - worked briefly in the same office as Johann Hari a few years back, and he seemed like a genuinely nice guy, so it's good to see him putting the knife in (alas, not literally) to the kind of twats who perform and watch this stuff.

swears

preppy-kei
I don't like chavs, but then again I don't like middle class Indie heads, I don't like upper class trutafarian twits with names like Jeramiah and Tabatha, I don't like lad mag readers, I don't like "artistic" types that are more interested in looking eccentric rather than actually producing any art, I don't like moneyed designer label eurotrash... But to be fair I'm not too keen on myself either. If working class people themselves ridiculed chavs in a sort of "pull yourself together" way, I wouldn't really have a problem with it. This sounds cliched at the moment more than anything though.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Can't help thinking that a play ripping the piss out of (as you put it) trustafarian nitwits named Tabitha would have people on here cackling with glee. This forum tends very strongly towards inverted snobbery a lot of the time, I find.

swears

preppy-kei
I don't have a problem with a humourist that can take the piss out of people from all walks of life, whilst not coming across as too petty and mean about it. Humourists like Peter Cook, Woody Allen, Paul Whitehouse, I think they do it well.

swears

preppy-kei
Although satire is there to mock the ruling classes more than anyone. Fuck Tarquin and his tribal tattoos, trust fund and sandals, smoking weed in his parent's huge house while they "weekend" in Tuscany.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Can't help thinking that a play ripping the piss out of (as you put it) trustafarian nitwits named Tabitha would have people on here cackling with glee. This forum tends very strongly towards inverted snobbery a lot of the time, I find.

But isn't the ultimate point that the 'satire' in this play has gone beyond perceived ways of acting, to mocking people purely for being poor (and hence not being able to afford a home in Bloomsbury)?

And besides, I don't always see much wrong in preferring satire that targets the 'haves'. As has been said, this is the point of satire to an extent - using words to make your point from a position of relative powerlessness. When those with power and money poek fun at those who don't have it, then this 'satire' seems a very different beast.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Although satire is there to mock the ruling classes more than anyone. Fuck Tarquin and his tribal tattoos, trust fund and sandals, smoking weed in his parent's huge house while they "weekend" in Tuscany.

Sure, that's an easily hateable stereotype, and I'm sure if I met Tarquin I'd think he was an absolute tosser and worthy of any mockery that came his way - but does anyone actually know someone like that? I mean, really? Whereas fat teenagers with pink velour tracksuits and hoop earrings listening to R&B on their mobiles are to be found at bus-stops throughout the entire country...

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Sure, that's an easily hateable stereotype, and I'm sure if I met Tarquin I'd think he was an absolute tosser and worthy of any mockery that came his way - but does anyone actually know someone like that? I mean, really? Whereas fat teenagers with pink velour tracksuits and hoop earrings listening to R&B on their mobiles are to be found at bus-stops throughout the entire country...

I've met (thankfully don't know) enough people like that. Some are genuinely nice people, but the majority are wretched, IMHO.

swears

preppy-kei
I 've met a few fellas basically like that. One guy called me a conformist recently for working in an office. (Some of us don't have much choice, pal)

My point being that there are just as many middle and upper class types with no taste. Take Paris Hilton, she looks bloody awful.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Never heard anyone refer to Paris Hilton (or any of her doubles who wander round Mayfair or wherever) as a chav. She fits all the supposed aspects of the stereotype perfectly, except - she's not poor, and she doesn't live on a council estate....

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
But that's the thing - so many people make the equation 'poor = chav', and I don't think that's true.
Sure, many of them are, but there are poor people who are not chavs and there are chavs who are not poor. I knew examples of both of these groups at school, for example.

swears

preppy-kei
Very true, very true, Tea. But I think this play is laying into people for being poor, uneducated, etc.

bun-u

Trumpet Police
Not too long ago things like mobile phones, burberry clothes and jewellery used to be the preserve of the upper classes – so it can’t be these things themselves that the chav-baiters find tasteless, it’s the cheek at being poor (and flaunting it)

IdleRich

IdleRich
Well that's the thing isn't it? Those who think that the term is acceptable say that they are describing people like Paris Hilton, Posh Spice, that one out of East Enders etc not just the poor. Those who say it's not acceptable point out that most of these "rich chavs" are normally from working class backgrounds (not Paris Hilton though) and that it is still a kind of snobbery aimed at vulgar people who have money but not the breeding to have taste.
From the review of that play (which I haven't seen) it seems as though it's very much "poor chavs" or just people who live on council estates who are the targets which makes it a lot nastier.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
But that's the thing - so many people make the equation 'poor = chav', and I don't think that's true.
Sure, many of them are, but there are poor people who are not chavs and there are chavs who are not poor. I knew examples of both of these groups at school, for example.

But it's precisely because so many people see the equation poor=chav (and use it as such as a term of vilification), that it's such a noxious term.

swears

preppy-kei
And how lame, obvious and unoriginal is it to make a play about "chavs", when there are already loads of people doing comedy about this topic already. They couldn't even come up with a decent title.

I'm still waiting for the indie version of Spinal Tap. That's a comic goldmine, right here.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Very true, very true, Tea. But I think this play is laying into people for being poor, uneducated, etc.

Sure, having a go at people just for being poor is a pretty shitty way of getting a laugh. But why are they uneducated? Because it's 'sad' and 'gay' to do well at school. Although of course it's no-one's fault if they arrive at school and that attitude is already the norm in the school culture, and so round it goes, the people guilty of propagating and sustaining that culture being the very people who are its victims...

Edit: yep, you're spot on swears, it is if nothing else a remarkably cliched and unoriginal idea.

Last edited: