Shackleton remixing Simian Mobile Disco

tryptych

waiting for a time
Not exactly sure when this is coming out, but it's mighty - further down the minimal techno route. And Shackleton's first ever track with a straight 4x4 kick, so I've been told...

nomos

Administrator
he's got some really wonderful stuff down around 120 bpm that will hopefully be trickling out soon.

Slothrop

Tight but Polite
Ooh, does this mean there's going to be a 17 page thread on dubstep forum about how shit it is that people from whatever scene Simian Mobile Disco are supposed to represent will be jumping on the dubstep bandwagon, mostly posted to by people from the dnb scene who jumped on the dubstep bandwagon some time last year?

sodiumnightlife

Sweet Virginia
haha man i never post on that forum anymore. i'm too much of a dissensus snob now. i don't suppose there's audio of this anywhere is there? jesse rose has done a remix of hustler as well, is there some remix package coming out?

dHarry

Shackleton is such a fantastic name for an experimental dubstep producer, isn't it?

Shackleton the explorer, and not just any explorer, but of the frozen treacherous wastes of the antartic. And it's composed of "shackle" - confinement by metal restrictions - and "ton" - extremely large weight measurement - suggestive of gravitational drag and obviously bass weight, the opposite of freedom and exploration, which nicely echoes the tension between torpor/drag and fluidity/danceability in dubstep. It even sounds onomatopoeically like dubstep percussion - the sibilance of the "sh", the metallic rattle of the "ackle" and the sharply defined consonant ending of the "ton". You'd imagine if you cut up a sample of it you could make a great rhythm out of the parts.

It's almost as if some bands/acts have to be great because they've got such great names - Howlin' Wolf, Velvet Underground, Led Zeppelin, Sex Pistols, Sonic Youth, My Bloody Valentine, the Prodigy, Public Enemy...

Slothrop

Tight but Polite
Shackleton is such a fantastic name for an experimental dubstep producer, isn't it?

Shackleton the explorer, and not just any explorer, but of the frozen treacherous wastes of the antartic. And it's composed of "shackle" - confinement by metal restrictions - and "ton" - extremely large weight measurement - suggestive of gravitational drag and obviously bass weight, the opposite of freedom and exploration, which nicely echoes the tension between torpor/drag and fluidity/danceability in dubstep. It even sounds onomatopoeically like dubstep percussion - the sibilance of the "sh", the metallic rattle of the "ackle" and the sharply defined consonant ending of the "ton". You'd imagine if you cut up a sample of it you could make a great rhythm out of the parts.
I always associate it with the Mighty Boosh and Biggie Shackleton references...

nomos

Administrator
^^ haha. it's not just about the old geezers like skream and chef any more :p

really? :cool: could he be related to Ernest?!

likely. a distant cousin of mine has the last name shackleton. he's done a lot of family history research and claims that they all originate in the same valley in yorkshire or lancashire. fwiw, appleblims can trace their heritage to a flemish group that settled the outer hebrides :p

Last edited:

tryptych

waiting for a time
hmmm, i heard Pinch might have been doin a rmx for them as well...

Sadly the Pinch mix didn't make it onto a proper release. There are some European 4 track promos floating around if you can track them down... the track's called "I Believe".

ThinKing

Sadly the Pinch mix didn't make it onto a proper release. There are some European 4 track promos floating around if you can track them down... the track's called "I Believe".

ah, didn't realise you commissioned the mix, shame it didn't see the release. Will have to squeeze Pinchy for a copy.

elgato

I just dont know
the 4 track promos were in Sounds Of The Universe yesterday, but with no Shackleton. They had Switch, Pinch, Lindstomm (i think, one of the big Scandinavian disco producers) and Joker mixes

didnt buy it though, first Pinch tune i've heard that i didnt really rate, it was ok but nothing on his usual

and i bought the bloody 7" for the Joker so now feel a fool buying it again :/ bit annoying, would've preferred the other mixes and a 12 really

Last edited:

tryptych

waiting for a time
Sorry - the Shackleton remix is of "Hustler" and is out in Oct/Nov. I'll post an mp3 as soon as possible.