The barely replied to Mark Perry thread

martin

----
I've been listening to loads of his ATV / solo / Door & The Window stuff recently. Just wondering, beyond 'The Image Has Cracked', 'Snappy Turns', 'Vibing Up the Senile Man'* and 'Detailed Twang', does anyone have any other recommendations for his stuff? Preferably the more scathing / experimental / lo-fi arty stuff, but am open to any suggestions

* - PS, if anyone has this on CD, with all the bonus tracks, could I blag a copy please?

bunnnnnn

the good missionaries live album ('fire from heaven') is bloody great - the version of 'radio story' / 'strange looks' makes my hair stand on end.

h-crimm

bringing home the war to Deptford

at the twee-er end of things, the other two from the door and the window were in 49 americans who had a couple of reissues recently. They were a big ensemble featuring vivian goldman, steve beresford, viv albertine attempting to hijack London Musicians Collective in a punk direction.

they appear to have a myspace... somehow

http://www.myspace.com/the49americans

STN

sou'wester
You can get 49 Americans CDs fairly easily too - aren't they also linked to The Avocadoes? I quite like that lot.

I'm a bit in love aith Viven Goldman if truth be known.

john eden

male pale and stale
I've seen Mark Perry live twice and he was excellent.

Once was I think at Chats Palace and he did a lot of ATV material and (iirc) did some action paintings during the set as well. Or someone else did.

Second time was in some place in New Cross and there was just him and a black and white film of London.

I haven't got any of his records tho.

martin

----
Thanks for all of these suggestions.

I love the way he managed to blaze through so many variations in such a short period - proto-Oi! pub rock clashing with experimental weirdness, and the way he made mundane observations sound really humourous, beautiful, eerie and threatening - he could go from utterly depressing and disturbing on "Death Looks Down" to muckabouts like "Love Lies Limp" and "Life", which is the narkiest, most piss-taking, anti-self pity song ever. Probably. And "Still Life" is just stunning cranked up loud.

I always thought the intro to "Life After Life" sounded like the Bergerac theme tune though.