Distribution in North America for grime...

Logan Sama

BestThereIsAtWhatIDo
Where would you say the main hubs would be for Grime followers in North America, and are there any stores that you know of that try and push the records out there?

I'm trying to help a few people get their records and DVDs into the States and Canada and would find it helpful if you could let me know some places to try contacting regarding exports.

carlos

manos de piedra
i would guess toronto and nyc

i notice Forced Exposure has a bit of dubstep in their catalog (Rag & Bone, A.R.M.Y., Subtext) - i would think getting Forced Exposure to distribute some of these labels would be a start- they seem to have done well spreading Kompakt / euro minimal techno throughout the usa

i don't dj (well, not in a conventional sense) but i do buy vinyl- it would be nice to see some of these records you all keep talking about in stores or at usa mailorder places- i would buy them

Keith P

draw for the drumstick
yeh we need to get you on the distribution lists logan. And make sure these people don't throw them into the breaks or hip-hop section. I've seen distributors like syntax throw j sweet tunes into the breaks section. I will try to get you some contact info for US distribution lists. Like I've always said. If u send stuff out I'll bring it right down to the local shop.

Last edited:

Dubquixote

Submariner
Hey Logan. In New York you would probably have some luck with Turntable Lab:

www.turntablelab.com
TURNTABLE LAB HQ
20 jay st #1014 brooklyn, ny 11201
toll free: 877.776.8207
STOREFRONT
120 east 7th st new york, ny 10009
tel: 212.677.0675

There's also a chance that the Brooklyn hip hop mecca Beat Street could carry some vinyl, but you'd have to show up in person to really hype it....

www.beatstreet.com
Beat Street Records, Inc.
494 Fulton Street, Brooklyn, NY 11201 tel.718.624.6400 fax.718-624-7468

Also, I know that Joe Nice in Baltimore has really sparked a nice dubstep following there, so you might want to contact him about places there which might be interested in carrying vinyl.

And in Philly, Diplo plays grime, so it's worth dropping him a line to find out if there are opportunities there...
diplo@hollertronix.com

Good luck man!

mms

sometimes
Logan Sama said:
Where would you say the main hubs would be for Grime followers in North America, and are there any stores that you know of that try and push the records out there?

I'm trying to help a few people get their records and DVDs into the States and Canada and would find it helpful if you could let me know some places to try contacting regarding exports.

try contacting

fe@forcedexposure.com <fe@forcedexposure.com> or arthur@ same address who is a label manager, both very good people

they distribute and sell records from their online shop. they also send records to canada
they will probably do it, i know they are excited about grime etc

Kuma

The Konspirator
mms said:
dude, forced exp have actually been distributing labels for a year or so now..

True, poor wording due to multi-tasking at work. I guess I'm just differing betwene those who do strictly distro to the shops as opposed to folks that do distro *and* mail order..

nomos

Administrator
Toronto seems like a logical base for Grime in Canada given the way the Jungle scene developed there. Then again the shops haven't been doing much for it. Play De REcord and Blackmarket should be carrying it but I don't think they are. Rotate This is the best bet so far (you can find contact info here ).

Captain Easychord will be able to give you more info.

In Ottawa, Organised Sound has been stocking the XL stuff and some 679, along with Sov, Mark One, Plasticman, etc. I think they're doing as good a job as anyone in TO. Here's the info:

Organised Sound
591-A Bank St.
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
K1S 3T4

Phone: 613-233-4900

Talk to Linus. He was doing some distribution at one point.

Logan Sama

BestThereIsAtWhatIDo
Thanks!

You guys have been really helpful. Keep the info coming.

I'm just looking to help people get their music released abroad, rather than set up some big world wide record export business. Glad you guys are willing to give help spread the music to the needy ;)

ripley

Hook us up on the West Coast too!

Dunno who you would go to, since the dnb fell off and the ragga junglist west coast kinda disappeared up their own machismo or something..

But those of us djs out here are finding it hard to go mailorder all the way from the UK..

oh and hello, y'all. new member Ripley here.

Actually, I have bought dubstep direct from a store in America: It was Kim's, in New York City. That's where I got the first Subtext and some A.R.M.Y. stuff. Probably that's I-Sound, who I'm sure keeps up with the stuff, ordering from Forced Ex or Groove Dis, but still it was nice to walk into a shop in America and see stuff. Actually, Other Music in NY and Amoeba out here in California cary it as well (but don't you dare try to listen!)

So yeah, NYC heads, check Kim's from time to time (True to form, they don't have a site).

C

captain easychord

i saw this two 12" set that was like a white label with a couple of loefah tracks here in toronto....

if grime's gonna blow anywhere it's here, this city is notorious for its anglophilia.

Pearsall

Prodigal Son
One thing to do maybe would be to send some instrumentals to reggaeton dj's here in the States? That's a pretty big thing now in the Hispanic community, and they're already jacking someone else's music (the Jamaicans) so they'd probably be open-minded enough to listen to it. Couldn't tell you who would be the right people to send it to, though.

Keith P

draw for the drumstick
One thing to do maybe would be to send some instrumentals to reggaeton dj's here in the States? That's a pretty big thing now in the Hispanic community, and they're already jacking someone else's music (the Jamaicans) so they'd probably be open-minded enough to listen to it. Couldn't tell you who would be the right people to send it to, though.

hip-hop, dn'b, and dancehall heads

reggaeton is swag :D

Last edited:

Pearsall

Prodigal Son
Keith P said:

Some of it's good, but most of it's poor...but the point is that I could see them actually playing it.

Can you really see like Hot 97 playing grime? I can't.

C

captain easychord

Keith P said:

the only good reggaeton i've heard has been bootlegs using hip hop acapellas. there's got to be some good stuff out there though, right?