4 Cathedral – In Memorium
5 Esoteric - Metamorphogenesis
6 Boris - Absolutego
7 Sleep – Dopesmoker
8 Electric Wizard - Dopethrone
9 EyeHateGod - Dopesick
10 SunnO))) –The Grimm Robe Demos

jd_

In Memorium's the best.. nice one! I'm no good at top tens, but other than the ones you mentioned I think Trouble "The Skull" and Candlemass "Epicus Doomicus Metallicus" need in there. Other good ones: Warhorse "The Priestess", Burning Witch "Crippled Lucifer", the Naked City doom sounding one "Leng T'che" is pretty awesome, the first Khanate, Goatsblood, Weedeater, Thrones ..so many... and I just heard a song from a new Southern Lord signing called Graves At Sea that's wicked too.

SLEEP - Holy Mountain is the most classic one for me I think, that never gets old even though Jerusalem/DS is heavier. You heard the OM stuff that's floating around yet? It's Sleep without Pike, supposed to be like Jerusalem stuff. 2005 is going to be a good year.

jd_

Man... In Memorium's sooooo slow. I wish I had that here. I couldn't believe they were speeding things up when they did Forest Of Equilibrium. Do you have the new version? It's supposed to have a bunch of extra crap stuck on it but I've never heard it.

francesco

Minerva Estassi
jd_ said:
I'm no good at top tens

Neither am i, Candlemass and Trouble or S. Vitus or Melvins or Gore and everything also you mentioned should been in a Doom top ten too, but it would been a top ten with 30 entry, so you just make nonsense cut choises, or decide to just put what you feel is the most extreme now, that's what i think have done. You know top ten or desert island disc list are only jokes, but i like the idea for starting a discussion on Doom, if someone is interested, just also to see Doom not to be confused whith Black, Death, Nu, Classic, Epic, Thrash... (ok there is overlapping sometimes, but that's in every genre division)

jd_ said:
Naked City doom "Leng T'che" is pretty awesome

totally agree, and is Bill Frisell on guitar!! Have to buy that Naked City complete Box they are issuing now, should be awesome, and i'm not a Zorn fan.

jd_ said:
You heard the OM stuff that's floating around yet?

Not yet i'll check. Also my In Memorium CD is the 4 track one.

ciao da francesco

jd_

Nothing else I've heard from Naked City is anything like that one. You probably know that already, but just a word of warning in case you didn't. Before you bought a whole box set and regretted it.

UFOMAMMUT's from Italy aren't they? Have you seen those guys ever? I guess they qualify as doom.

rishaug

Doom Rules!!

francesco said:
1 Black Sabbath – Black Sabbath
2 Atomic Rooster – Death Walks Behind You
3 Earth – 2
4 Cathedral – In Memorium
5 Esoteric - Metamorphogenesis
6 Boris - Absolutego
7 Sleep – Dopesmoker
8 Electric Wizard - Dopethrone
9 EyeHateGod - Dopesick
10 SunnO))) –The Grimm Robe Demos

That's a nice looking list, I’d add the following however:

1. Agalloch – Mantle
2. Katatonia – Dance of December Souls
3. ISIS – Panopticon
4. My Dying Bride – Angel and the Dark River
5. Skepticism – AES
6. Sunn O))) – 00 Void
7. Evoken – Quietus
8. Anathema – Pentecost EP
9. Tiamat – Wildhoney
10. Ulver - Nattens Madrigal

Can we count Opeth as doom metal?

redcrescent

For the Doom top 30 (or 50?): Winter Into Darkness, early My Dying Bride, Pentagram, the Obsessed, Spirit Caravan, some Penance, Malasangre (from Italy), dISEMBOWELMENT...

francesco

Minerva Estassi
jd_ said:
You know what? I've never heard of Gore. They're heavy?

Imagine early Swans without the singing, they were Dutch i belive, and were active in the late '80. Their records are obscure, i don't have a copy but a friend had the first, HardGore and the third double Wrede. Wrede were one piece for side of repeating Godheavy slow thrash riffs. Very art metal also but nobody cared of them, sell next to nothing and disappears. Even searching on internet you find nothing. Once one person who read Brain at Brainwashed.com wrote to me that tUMULt records was keen on reissue them, but since Andee now have to run the aQuarious record shop i think tUMULt will be very little active in the future. Yes they were heavy, wish I have taped the records...

jd_ said:
UFOMAMMUT's from Italy aren't they? Have you seen those guys ever? I guess they qualify as doom.

Heard of the but never heard them yet. About Naked City thanks for the kind advice, imagine a 5cd box full of sludge like Leng'tche...... I love Naked City first one, and the problem with genres that Zorn frustratingly tried to expose with it. Loving, like me, all those different kind of music schizophrenically, mixing it but without merging it, but then also beautiful versions of Lonely Woman or Il Clan dei Siciliani or Chinatown. Also Grand Guignol/Torture Garden is terrific. The only one never listened is Radio.

Rishaug and Redcrescent you both know about Doom Metal much more than me, i will have in the future check some of the records you list, never heard at all of some of them. Opeth i have Orchids, sound GothMetal (and a little Prog) to me that one but Goth and Doom often overlap (My Dying Bride, Paradise Lost,...) and are regarded by many as quite the same genre (except very extreme Doom or non metal Goth). Isn't Natten Madrigal anyway tipically Black Metal?

Last edited:

puretokyo

Mercury Blues
ryan17 said:
you peeps are forgetting all of Wino's old bands like Spirit Caravan and the Obsessed.

Its drawing a pretty fine line, but I always felt Spirit Caravan etc were always much more on the Stoner Metal side of things, I guess mainly due to the fact that he writes songs, sings etc, rather than just groaning in the Proper Fashion as practiced but Electric Wizard etc.

rishaug

francesco said:
Rishaug and Redcrescent you both know about Doom Metal much more than me, i will have in the future check some of the records you list, never heard at all of some of them. Opeth i have Orchids, sound GothMetal (and a little Prog) to me that one but Goth and Doom often overlap (My Dying Bride, Paradise Lost,...) and are regarded by many as quite the same genre (except very extreme Doom or non metal Goth). Isn't Natten Madrigal anyway tipically Black Metal?

Natten Madrigal probably is more black metal than doom. But it’s an album which has had a formative influence on bands like Agalloch who I’d really recommend. Besides, Ulver has always been doomish in content even if they’re later records display a non-doom form. Perdition City and so forth...very doomy.

jd_

Is everybody falling more on the Sabbath/stoner side of it? I always get the impression the stoner stuff's not respected as the real deal, that true Doom's the more gothy stuff and more progressive, but it seems to have taken over in the same way all the droney stuff now makes up a good part of what people praise as doom which I think's pretty recent--maybe becasue of Sunn0)))? Am I making that shit up?
Oh, and if Isis gets a nod I think ENemy Of The Sun by Neurosis deserves mention. I didn't think of that one but it's good and slow.

rishaug

jd_ said:
Is everybody falling more on the Sabbath/stoner side of it? I always get the impression the stoner stuff's not respected as the real deal, that true Doom's the more gothy stuff and more progressive, but it seems to have taken over in the same way all the droney stuff now makes up a good part of what people praise as doom which I think's pretty recent--maybe becasue of Sunn0)))? Am I making that shit up?
Oh, and if Isis gets a nod I think ENemy Of The Sun by Neurosis deserves mention. I didn't think of that one but it's good and slow.

I would say that Doom needn’t be Goth, but that the 2 often overlap. I mean gothic is a matter of content and not form. People overlook this because both gothic metal and Doom metal tend to have similar formal characteristics, i.e. song of epic length, slow in tempo and largely in a detuned register. Take Neurosis: they’re certainly not gothic, yet the same features can be found in a band as overtly gothic as say, Virgin Black. At the same time, The Sun that Never Sets is one of the most doomy albums I know.

Anyway – it ain’t false to say that sludge has taken place of those gothic elements. It’s just more acceptable isn’t it...I mean even My Dying Bride have had to re-configure themselves so that the whole folk-acoustic elements are seen as a more than a novel inclusion. You hear their last album? The omission of gothic elements isn’t just progress – the whole idea of ‘doom’ just can’t incorporate them any longer.

francesco

Minerva Estassi
Apart from the connesion made beetween '80/'90 Goth and '90 Metal/Doom, it had to be noted that the firsts real '70 doom albums, the first Black Sabbath (expecially the title track), Death Walk Behind You by Atomic Rooster,Black Widow, Hight Tide, Quatermass and other obscure Doom/ProgRock groups where Heavily Gothic... songs and LP covers inspired by Hammer films, HP Lovercraft or Poe novels, trace of spiritism and various kinds of occultism, witchcraft...
... when did the SludgeDrone enter with so great force to erase all the gothic ovetones? Was after grunge? Was all because Earth 2? Overcoming of the drone minimalism and refuse of mysticism (which was in various grade and tones present in Death and expecially obviously in Black Metal) is all of what we now call Underground Metal?

But wait a minute, this deep darkness pit of extreme sludge, hypnotic, the black drone, this absence of everything else except murk metal trasmission, the time perception distorsion, this lightless lethargy, has spiritual dimension, right? Vibration it is. Sounds to watch the abyss by.

Last edited:

jd_

Maybe because SLeep + Cathedral were on Earache they converted DM/Grindcore guys (that's how I got into it anyway). I don't know about EHG, but that's what I would think happened, they definitely seem to have a similar sound they go for although they about something different than a band like E Wiz. I'm just guessing though. I think Melvins "Lysol" was a really important one too.
That's from my perspective though, it could be if I was older I'd see it all as coming from Trouble and Vitus.

I'm curious about the gothy/sad ones just because I really don't know anything about them and it seems so huge. is it fair to say that the divide is a North America/England vs Europe thing where that's concerned? I didn't know they were starting to change because of the sludge sound, I always thought they were like a proper metal genre with loads of fans all over Europe or wherever and the stoner stuff I liked was just some bastardization.

I always have to throw a shout out to Thorr's Hammer when doom comes up.

It looks like my fave track by them is at least an mp3 clip here too: http://www.southernlord.com/hammer.htm

That track "Norge" just pwnz me for slow doomy fairly black metallish stuff ... sludgey viking doom with witchy female vocals grabs me a little more than the stoner end of it, but of course you can never front on 666Black666Sabbath666, true original gangstaz. WHere's the 'ludes?