Trance

Troy

31 Seconds
Who else here is into TRANCE, the greatest genre of all time??

I searched the dissensus threads and none of the titles contained the word "trance", so I decided to start this one...

Noah Baby Food

hahaha! i can smell the air pie already! ...records like "Age Of Love" were good though, and I suppose that was trance.

I'm surprised some dissensusites aren't into it just to be contrary, though. I kind of admire the pure fucking numbness of trance but I can't go there.

noel emits

a wonderful wooden reason
I quite like the first Skinny Puppy LP.

I found a copy of Abfahrt - Come Into My Life in a charity shop today. The sleeve said it was the David Holmes mixes but it wasn't, there was an Orbital mix. I didn't buy it because I felt the £1.99 was £1 too much. I am fond of that tune though.

I once went to a trance night at Brixton Academy where the decks were skipping like mad all night, I thought it was quite innovative until I found out it wasn't deliberate.

Last edited:

sodiumnightlife

Sweet Virginia
i have to say i have a soft spot for some trance. There's a trance nation cd mixed by ferry corsten that me and a friend used to listen to ALOT.

swears

preppy-kei
I heard they had some good trance in the olden days. ;)

All I remember about trance is it being fucking massive and really bland around 99/2000, although the definition of it changed in the late 90s I guess ...

noel emits

Who else here is into TRANCE, the greatest genre of all time??

I searched the dissensus threads and none of the titles contained the word "trance", so I decided to start this one...
The Man closed down your other Trance thread didn't he?

noel emits

I've got a Pete Namlook 4-Voice record that I quite like - it's pure trance but I have to admire the analogue fetishism.

DJ PIMP

Loving lots of the new stuff that hearkens back to Age of Love era trance and early Harthouse.

Trance is a funny name though... anything half decent captures your attention.

Logos

Ghosts of my life
Hasn't it just infiltrated 'minimal' now...I used to go to gatecrasher when I was just starting out clubbing (18) during the crasher kids/dutch trance heyday and some of that just sounds not a million miles from Boka Shade (althought they preserve some flair and panache, not something thats generally possible with a million bezerk drum rolls flying at you). As for that Aril Brikha release on Kompakt...well isn't that just System F or Airwave for 07? ;)

Chris

fractured oscillations
I like the idea of "trance music"... but wouldn't all house and techno be trance music? I'd reckon (actual) minimal stuff like Villalobos and Basic Channel would be the most truly trance-inducing, rather than melody-and-build/breakdown-centered trance. Tho there probably is something to be said for the way those galloping, unresolving, melancholic melodies can create a sense of forward-motion, "importance," journey towards the center, etc... which would add to that tranced-out, "spiritual", tunnel-vision feel.

I guess the emphasis on dramatic melodies was about creating that whole "spiritual journey" and "emotional rapture" vibe, which made for a very romantic, emotional style of techno. Emotional techno as a concept though was just too easy to be translated into a pop-formula... Just cheese it up a bit, add bubblegum vocals and lots of builds and breakdowns, and you have late 90s anthem trance... Kind of a shame what that did to it's image, because I don't think it was all quite as bad as people made it out to be (IMHO). I don't really hate all trance, it's kinda fun, and I do like "trance-iness" when it crops up in minimal techno/house or ebm, or is anticipated in kraut/kosmische.

and faults aside, I'll still take epic/progressive/euro-trance over goa/psych trance any day!

Last edited:

Chris

fractured oscillations
Yeah, sometimes I've wondered if minimal's going to evolve into a less bloated form of trance, kind of been crossing my fingers actually, but there's alot of nu-deep sounds seeping in now too, which is also nice.

Last edited:

Gabba Flamenco Crossover

High Sierra Skullfuck
As a producer, I'm currently getting quite a lot of mileage out of doing tracks that are structured like trance with dramatic builds and dropouts, but using gnarly, distorted untrancelike sounds. I think my main problem with trance was always the limited sound palette - I always quite liked the kinetic structures, even in the late 90s super cheese era.

I find the same thing now with a lot of minimal - the sound palette is too limited, it's all very pretty and decorative. But the tracks are often structured like 90s minimal techno. Minimal at it's nadir combines the worst of trance (sounds) with the worst of 90s minimal techno (loopy repetitive structures) to create brain-numbing wallpaper music.

I've said before that when trance got really big in the north in the late 90s, I was anticipating a progression into an experimental mindfuck stage analogous with darkside hardcore in '93. Never happened though.

A lot of that early 90s German/Dutch techno that has that big, open, optimistic sound, where trance came from - like Sun Electric, Alter Ego, Jam & Spoon, Oliver Leib, Speedy J - that is still amazing music.

echevarian

babylon sister
Would this be the right place to mention Psychick Warriors Ov Gaia?

Cause I'm not sure what kind of music they made, but people called it trance back then.

Too deep, too much swing to be anything like what trance is now though.

noel emits

Awww - Psychick Warriors! Amazing.

Their live sets were pretty phenomenal huh? I caught them at Megadog and Final Frontier in London. Seriously intense.

The Psychick Rhythms tracks still sound great I think. That's definitely trance music.

echevarian

babylon sister
I'm too young to have caught them live, I was about 8 or 9 at their peak in 93-94.

I've got a copy of Psychick Rhythms sitting next to my turntable right now, I think I like Maenad a little better than that release.

Or the Kala mix of Challenge.

noel emits

Damn I knew that would make me sound old. :eek:

But you know, when you've grown up a bit you'll appreciate why Psychick Rhythms > Maenad.

;)