The return of Einsturzende Neubauten...

Benny Bunter

Anyone else here looking forward to EN's forthcoming new album Alles Wieder Offen

Judging from some of the stuff I've heard through their supporters site, and an amazing live performance at this years ATP festival, its promising to be a cracker.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Wasn't their last album a special release you had to download, by being an official 'supporter' or something? Was it any good? I really like the one they released 3 years ago (that came out on normal CD). I'd certainlt be interested in hearing their new one, anyway.

I heard they recently 'recreated' one of their legendary early live shows at the ICA, and although the obvious lack of spontaneity and surprise the second time around must have taken the edge off it a bit, I bet it was still great...

Edit: 're-enactment, according to this - http://www.nemesis.to/icalive.htm

Last edited:

Benny Bunter

Their last public album release was Perpetuum Mobile about 4 years ago and since then they've been doing subscriber-only stuff. They've been releasing one 'miniature' track per month to download for supporters called 'jewels' - very experimental stuff mainly.

The new album, out in October, was funded by the supporter project.

I think EN have just got better over the last few years, especially since 'Silence is sexy', thats an amazing album too. Blixa's voice has really matured I think...

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Yeah, I've got Perpetuum, it's a very cool record. If they're carrying on in that sort of direction, brilliant.

wonk_vitesse

radio eros
I heard they recently 'recreated' one of their legendary early live shows at the ICA, and although the obvious lack of spontaneity and surprise the second time around must have taken the edge off it a bit, I bet it was still great...

Edit: 're-enactment, according to this - http://www.nemesis.to/icalive.htm

naah, it was done by others as a staged 're-enactment', trying to look back to '84, they weren't involved,

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Ah, right - 'tribute band' seems to sum it up.
Wouldn't mind seeing them do a proper show, though.

polystyle

Blixa's ENB

As much as i respect Blixa and generally dig whatever EMB may be doing by now,
Alot of firepower was lost when Chung and Mufti left the group.
Watching those old vids of Live perf of Hazelwood's "Sand" on YT the other week only reminded us how great the outfit was.

Mufti's new group was fun to watch at the show we caught in Lyon May tho'

polystyle

Hmm , I believe it was simply called by his other name - 'FM Einheit' .
Lineup was FM on a long , tall thick metal spring that stretched floor to ceiling ,
a bassist , guitarist , kyboard.
Basically FM on metals with a bit funky , bit electronic band sound.
They were fun , hadn't seen FM in ages so t'was a good time enjoyed by the crowd .

zhao

there are no accidents
just put on perpetuum mobile. great as i remembered.

(side note: T, you ever check out that evil d+b - low profile...?)

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
just put on perpetuum mobile. great as i remembered.

(side note: T, you ever check out that evil d+b - low profile...?)

Oh yeah! Actually I was listening to it on my MP3 just this morning, great stuff. REACHING OUT INTO OTHER WOOORLDS... :)
Didn't I ever say cheers for sending me the link? If I didn't, thanks, it's wicked!

zhao

there are no accidents
for the past few hours, since i made last posting on this thread, just let my neubauten collection run its course while working - went through Perpetuum, Faust Musik, Tabula Rasa, Verbrannte Erde, and entire 2 disks of Silence is Sexy is just now drawing to a close.

what is in-credible is not many dull moments at all over 4 albums. a couple bad quality live extras i deleted, but even the Fuastmusik with the theater play is listenable.

last song side one of Silence is Sexy -- very good.

zhao

there are no accidents
yeah Low Profile Darkness for me is the ultimate DB of late 90s... in a sense. the most distorted and fucked up as you can get without losing the funk, the bounce. the most tricked out you can go without going overboard and having a clumsy clutter-fuck. and a few years on the dude starts making horendous puke

Benny Bunter

Saw EN at ATP, and thought that Blixa was one of the most charismatic frontmen I had ever seen, it had a much greater impact than the records, as fine as they are.

He's so bloody intense, he was giving the poor soundman a proper rollicking throughout the set. You just couldn't take your eyes away from him for a minute.

Also love the fact that they record every single show they do, immediately burning them onto cds to sell after their gigs.

zhao

there are no accidents
record every single show they do, immediately burning them onto cds to sell after their gigs.

that's pretty great. i saw them in... 1998? in Dallas, Texas of all places. i didn't really know about their music, but was just into "industrial" stuff at the time - wasn't what i expected, but absolutely blown away... playing springs, egg beaters, and weilding jack hammers on stage, i heard a new sound world that night... and was very impressed by the powerful, sombre mood and how musical everything was - i walked away not knowing what had just happened, but knew i had to find out... changed that 16 year old's life forever in some small but significant way.

edit - what the fuck am i saying 1998... it was more like 1991.

Last edited:

Benny Bunter

Blixa said recently that EN aren't going to do any more US tours, mainly because of the logistics of transporting all their various pipes/air compressers/sheets of metal etc...

STN

sou'wester
He's so bloody intense, he was giving the poor soundman a proper rollicking throughout the set. You just couldn't take your eyes away from him for a minute.

QUOTE]

I thought he looked like a little South Park-type cartoon with his fists clenched, screaming at the soundman. I think he even stamped his feet at one point!

Wicked set though. The best word I could think of to describe it was simply 'deep' it was very full and meditative. Even the assembled altcountry-lovers I was with thought they were amazing.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Bah, I'm so jealous of all the people here who've seen them live.
I remember seeing tickets on sale when I first came to London nearly 8 years ago, and almost buying one just because they had such a cool name. Really wish I had, in retrospect.