'you are what you own' - how rap just reinforces the status quo

gumdrops

thought some ppl here would find this interesting...

http://music.guardian.co.uk/urban/story/0,,2158038,00.html

You are what you own

Rap doesn't undermine social values, but does suggest that flaunted wealth means success

Dreda Say Mitchell
Wednesday August 29, 2007
The Guardian

If the nation's youth are going off the rails - and a flip through the newspaper archives suggests they have been since the 1950s - then clearly something must be to blame. The usual suspects are, in no particular order, capitalism, liberalism, consumerism, and family breakdown. But particularly after the shooting of young men at the Notting Hill Carnival on Monday evening, the debate inevitably turns to music.
Ask any youth in our cities, irrespective of ethnic background, about rap and you'll get a roll of the eyes - they're more than familiar with this argument - and you'll be told you're taking it too seriously, it's just showbiz. No one's embracing a gun and gang culture because of anything they've seen on television or heard on their MP3, there are other forces at work. Nor, sadly, do they think there's much anyone can do about it, it's just "how it is".

Music, along with many other factors, helps to set the tone for what is considered acceptable behaviour in our society. But there's no doubt that our "culture" in its broadest sense legitimises, or otherwise, certain actions or attitudes. Music does form an important part of youth culture, so it's a fair question to ask whether music has an influence. But it's always been easier to assume there's a link than actually demonstrate one. Few people now would want to blame poor old Bill Haley in Rock Around the Clock for teenagers trashing cinemas in the 1950s, but people certainly did at the time.
Rockers have had their day as a threat to the nation's young. If you're bang up to date, you're blaming rap, specifically gangsta rap, for guns and gangs. And at first sight you might seem to have a point. When news crews shoot footage of the latest tragedy on our streets, the youths involved look like characters from rap videos, they use the same slang and they seem to echo the same attitudes. So is it case closed?

But rap is not homogenous - there are individual rappers and the music they make. Some of the music is so relentlessly "positive" that it would get the thumbs up from any worry coven. At the other end of the spectrum, there's no denying that a minority of rappers, often under commercial pressure to be "badder" than the rest and believing their own hype and publicity, do end up in murky waters.

In fact there's very little violence or guns in mainstream rap. Spend an evening watching rap videos (and it's difficult to believe that many people who worry about it actually have) and a fairly standard image starts to emerge. There'll be the stars by a swimming pool, in a fast car or a flashy club, wearing designer clothes and jewellery, surrounded by a half a dozen, purely decorative, "honeyz." The message (in as far as there is one) that you'll pick up from this is simple - that if you're not loaded, you're not happening. And it's not hard to see why record companies and other corporations don't have a problem with that, because that's exactly what they believe too.

The real problem with rap is that far from undermining society's values it's reinforcing them, and the most fundamental of all our society's values at the moment is that you are what you own. Commercial rap's money and success ethic won't do any harm to middle-class youth; they have access to the professions and property where they can participate in it. For working-class youngsters, taught by our culture since the 1970s that they're losers and failures, it's part of a profoundly poisonous cocktail of attitudes. Pride and self-respect are at the heart of this debate and it's the lack of those, or the wrong sort, that's really driving the violence on our streets.

Respectable society expects those involved in street culture to start taking responsibility for what they do, and change their behaviour and attitudes. No argument there, but it's equally true that the rest of us might want to think about taking responsibility for what we do, and changing the behaviour and attitudes that creates the environment our youth live in. In Britain in 2007 though, that's an unfashionable attitude. Most of us think we're stuck with the society we've got because "that's how it is ..."

· Dreda Say Mitchell is the author of Killer Tune, published by Hodder
www.dredamitchell.co.uk

swears

preppy-kei
Loads of pop music is about money and success, or projects an image of it as being desirable, since at least the sixties. Are we all supposed to only listen to nice millionaires like Chris Martin that don't flaunt their wealth?

Octopus?

That's what always bothers me about the Rap = bad articles. While they seem to go out of their way to mention that, y'know, not every rapper does this, they do fail to mention that everybody's receiving exactly the same message of materialism from pop music, movies, television...hell, almost everywhere.

Slothrop

Tight but Polite
That's what always bothers me about the Rap = bad articles. While they seem to go out of their way to mention that, y'know, not every rapper does this, they do fail to mention that everybody's receiving exactly the same message of materialism from pop music, movies, television...hell, almost everywhere.
Well, he does say at the end Respectable society expects those involved in street culture to start taking responsibility for what they do, and change their behaviour and attitudes. No argument there, but it's equally true that the rest of us might want to think about taking responsibility for what we do, and changing the behaviour and attitudes that creates the environment our youth live in.

Edit: I take your point in general, though.

Last edited:

gek-opel

entered apprentice

Hip hop video culture is merely a garish and cartoony amped up version of everything else, the real problem, the grotesque bleeding great fuck off pale pachyderm squatting in the room is consumer capitalism, and what the lusts and drives it creates do. For some people it might mean working ridiculous hours to own a flat screen hi-def TV, for others slinging drugs for ice. The interesting strategy would probably seek to exploit the entrepreneurial spirit of young Hip Hop influenced youths, to harness it to something other than the drug markets.

Gavin

booty bass intellectual
Hip hop video culture is merely a garish and cartoony amped up version of everything else, the real problem, the grotesque bleeding great fuck off pale pachyderm squatting in the room is consumer capitalism, and what the lusts and drives it creates do. For some people it might mean working ridiculous hours to own a flat screen hi-def TV, for others slinging drugs for ice. The interesting strategy would probably seek to exploit the entrepreneurial spirit of young Hip Hop influenced youths, to harness it to something other than the drug markets.

This does actually happen all the time, everyone I've come into contact with who is "street" (bad term, but basically distinguish from my friends who went to college) has entertainment companies, promotional companies, fashion and music labels, etc. A DJ I know not only has a label/DJ collective, but also distributes short stories about black life through the collective's website. Everyone's got all these affiliations between groups and labels, their own ways of flipping jeans & hoodies, their own mp3s on whatever distributor, but drugs are the only things making money these days. These are dudes who used to make a fair bit of money selling 12-inches locally before the market for that collapsed.

Really drugs are the ultimate consumer commodity, they aren't going anywhere.

Gavin

booty bass intellectual
Oh, and OTM whoever mentioned that these articles, even when reaching for a larger perpective, ignore that ALL MEDIA CULTURE promotes the same stuff that hip hop does, just without necessarily using young fly & flashy black bodies that seem to disturb people so much.

If rap really enforced the status quo completely than why does it continue to piss so many people off? I think that it has been co-opted to a large degree, but this doesn't make it a stable source of dominant ideology.

Slothrop

Tight but Polite
Really drugs are the ultimate consumer commodity, they aren't going anywhere.
The junk merchant does not sell his product to the consumer, he sells the consumer to his product. He does not improve and simplify his merchandise. He degrades and simplifies the client. He pays his staff in junk.

gek-opel

entered apprentice
If rap really enforced the status quo completely than why does it continue to piss so many people off? I think that it has been co-opted to a large degree, but this doesn't make it a stable source of dominant ideology.

Um asides from the obvious???

gek-opel

entered apprentice
I was invoking a Godwinian argument to demonstrate the inherent absurdity of yr point as regards Mozart. (as in no-one is slating hip hop per se here... or claiming that necessarily reflecting yr times is a bad thing, or certainly not a worse thing than the more general character of those times themselves...)

Gavin

booty bass intellectual
The junk merchant does not sell his product to the consumer, he sells the consumer to his product. He does not improve and simplify his merchandise. He degrades and simplifies the client. He pays his staff in junk.

Ok then, drug addicts are the perfect consumer.

gek-opel

entered apprentice

Indeed. Good quote BTW.

swears

preppy-kei

William Burroughs, innit?

I remember reading a really good cyberpunkish sci fi story years back about large companies marketing various recreational pharmaceuticals like you would market perfume or chocolate, with brand names and fancy packaging. I wonder if we'll ever see this in our lifetime?

Gavin

booty bass intellectual
William Burroughs, innit?

I remember reading a really good cyberpunkish sci fi story years back about large companies marketing various recreational pharmaceuticals like you would market perfume or chocolate, with brand names and fancy packaging. I wonder if we'll ever see this in our lifetime?

Yes

nexium-452390.jpg

istockphoto_154085_the_green_pill.jpg

StockDesignPrescriptionBags.jpg

Not exactly fancy yet, but give it a few years.

swears

preppy-kei
Sort of...but there is still supposed to be a medical application there. I mean flogging valium or whatever over the counter as something to be taken for kicks.