The Klaxons

sodiumnightlife

Sweet Virginia
they really didn't deserve it. First couple of singles i really liked, but nah, the album was shit. mercury's a joke though innit?

Mr Jeg

suck your thumb
saw this coming from a mile off, in fact, my mate owes me a tenner now.

awful lineup of acts for an awful award.

mms

sometimes
yeah crappy post modern nonsense, indie band wth a couple good tunes and alot of pretentious window dressing.

tox

Factory Girl
...and they kept saying "we make forward music" to jo wiley. argh makes me wanna smash up my tv!! I don't understand how they could give the prize to Klaxons this year, but not to Hot Chip, who were against a much weaker crowd, last year.

on the strength of tonight's performances I'd say the only person who deserved to win was Winehouse... effortlessly amazing voice.

I know I shouldn't let it bother me, and its just a horrible PR-love-in, but the whole thing makes me feel horrible inside! Still its judged by Lauren Laverne, so what can you expect???

noel emits

a wonderful wooden reason
I know I shouldn't let it bother me, and its just a horrible PR-love-in, but the whole thing makes me feel horrible inside! Still its judged by Lauren Laverne, so what can you expect???
Lauren Laverne is The Decider.

spooky girlfriend

Wild Horses
i almost cried, i just couldn't take my eyes off the screen though. this public schoolboy prat prancing about gargling into the microphone and declaring 'we started out as a joke'. You still are, mate.
i watched the Mercury awards for Dizzee, and 'grime' may be a dirty word in his press interviews now but he's a damned talented musician trying to do SOMETHING.
i liked the Young Knives, they're from old town and they are very watchable.
the obligatory jazz ensemble this year took it all in their stride..'we know we're not winning shit but it doesn't matter cause we're the only real musicians in the fucking room'
i dunno man the Awards have never been much cop despite giving grime it's brief time in the sun (not to mention Gomez and M People haha), but you can see who's pulling the strings now.
So a panel of judges including Lauren fucking Laverne deemed an over-hyped top 10 pop band worthy of a WAD OF CASH and even MORE publicity. and did anybody else find their already dull sound relies entirely on it's clean, big studio production?
what a crock of shit.
a GENUINE charity that would donate to new music or pay for some new studios in the right places would be so much better.

mos dan

fact music
So a panel of judges including Lauren fucking Laverne deemed an over-hyped top 10 pop band worthy of a WAD OF CASH and even MORE publicity.

the whole thing is just *infuriating* isn't it?? at least the brits is vaguely consistent and has CRITERIA, jesus christ.

it drives me crazy that every year it's like "shall we go for the popular choice? the outsider choice? the critical choice? the token choice? talvin singh, or m people, or arctic monkeys?"

THERE IS NO RHYME, REASON, OR LOGIC TO ANY OF IT!!!!

that bothers me way, way more than the klaxons winning. who, incidentally, sounded so pathetically reedy/weedy in their live performance that surely the mercury's tv producers must've been at least slightly ashamed? like, if that's one of the highlights of the BEST album of the year, well then... :rolleyes:

Sick Boy

All about pride and egos
Amy Winehouse should've won that award for so many reasons that its basically daylight robbery that she didn't get it.

crackerjack

Amy Winehouse should've won that award for so many reasons that its basically daylight robbery that she didn't get it.

Agreed. Hard to know whether they overlooked her because they wanted to avoid the obvious choice, avoid the Drug Star Wins £££ Scandal headlines, or because they're just tone fucking deaf.

Gabba Flamenco Crossover

High Sierra Skullfuck
the klaxons... who... sounded so pathetically reedy/weedy in their live performance

I thought all the acts sounded terrible actually, really thin. And I thought the Young Knives guitar player was miming (and badly, at that).

I'm not convinced about Winehouse - sounds like she's a frighteningly accurate pastiche of old jazz singers, as Joss Stone was of 60s soul divas - and rehab was self-referencial rock-star bobbins. TBF I haven't heard a lot of her other stuff though.

The Arctic Monkeys are a Jam tribute band... tell me I'm wrong?

I'm glad they've won it, the things a curse.

Word. The 'previous winners' montage was a proper where-are-they-now file.

swears

preppy-kei
I think this year's line up is the perfect example of why making music should be banned in this country. Even if we stop good new music from being made, it would be worth it to stop the endless torrent of garbage releases coming out every week.

It's for our own good.