Ryan Leslie

Blackdown

nexKeysound
One of the best US producers out there. First "Me & U" and "Long Way 2 Go" by Cassie, now "Rock U".

Anyone else feeling the pitchbent grimey synths?

mos dan

fact music
That's wicked, cheers.

I spent most of 2006 arguing with myself about which I preferred, Long Way 2 Go or Me & U. I never did decide. But Cassie's album was terrific... I dunno which other tunes on there were Leslie's..

New Cassie and Leslie track 'Sometimes' here:

http://www.myspace.com/cassiemyspacemusic

Timberwho?

Blackdown

nexKeysound
Timbaland's gone Europop. Don't try and tell me "Way I Are" isn't - close your eyes and listen, it's so clearly straight outta Deutchland, ja!

"Me & U" was my single of the year last year. Has anyone else noticed the strange parallel between Harlem's Ryan Leslie's "Rock U" and east London's Icekid's amazing "No the Levelz?"

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Just another journeyman producer following the oh-so-obvious path of going into hip-hop via Harvard...

I'd side with Long Way 2 Go over Me & U...the space on the latter is of course amazing, but the way that the beat for the final verse changes completely on Long Way 2 Go to those rising synths is amazing... Sometimes is great too, but even better than all of them is 'Don't Go Too Slow'.:)

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Indeed they do, sir. Can anyone tell me why my favourite RnB producers of the last few years (Leslie, Tim n Bob) seem to have such short discographies?

sodiumnightlife

Sweet Virginia
I was thinking actually...i'm interested in how these people come to actully be kinda poppy R and B producers...I mean what's the process? It's not like they get signed is it?

Blackdown

nexKeysound
I was thinking actually...i'm interested in how these people come to actully be kinda poppy R and B producers...I mean what's the process? It's not like they get signed is it?

maybe leslie discovered/worked with Cassie and when she got signed to Bad Boy, he made lots of money, connections and a name for himself...

mos dan

fact music
who knows 'can't do it without you'? love that tune. dunno if that's a ryan leslie joint or not, but it's a standout on cassie's album

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound

I just been reading 'Third Coast - how hiphop became a southern thing' and in there, pretty much all of the producers who aren't street hiphop all had family in the music business, it's quite weird reading it, how huge America is and how nepotistic the music scene seems to be. The RnB producers seem to be the ones from more middle class backgrounds.

gek-opel

entered apprentice
"Me & U" was my single of the year last year.

True dat. "Me & U" is probably my favourite R&B song ever actually... The album was slightly more mediocre but a clutch of superb tracks.

Loving the pitch bending synths on the chorus to this new tune.

N

nomadologist

I just been reading 'Third Coast - how hiphop became a southern thing' and in there, pretty much all of the producers who aren't street hiphop all had family in the music business, it's quite weird reading it, how huge America is and how nepotistic the music scene seems to be. The RnB producers seem to be the ones from more middle class backgrounds.

oh man, it's so bad in the south. Atlanta has a whole cottage industry set up to serve the needs of the spoiled teenagers raised by music mogels. (cf any episode ofMy Super Sweet Sixteen I've ever seen on MTV) they're the sort of black children who make it into ivy league schools where affirmative action succeeds in getting black students a leg up, but unfortunately overlooks the black students who actually need the help in favor of those with privileges that seriously rival their rich white peers.

+ rylan leslie is an obvious genius

petergunn

plywood violin
hey're the sort of black children who make it into ivy league schools where affirmative action succeeds in getting black students a leg up, but unfortunately overlooks the black students who actually need the help in favor of those with privileges that seriously rival their rich white peers.

paging Jim Goad...

hint

party record with a siren
i'm nuts about ryan leslie right now but this makes him look like a twat. like any, self obsessed ego-producer. *sigh*

True. It's his greatest trick though. He's been putting these videos up for quite a while now, giving people an insight into the process and steadily building his rep with the pop crowd.

Just check the comments - the guy plays a few notes on a pocket trumpet and scrolls through the presets on his synths and people respond to that. His real talent is in production and arrangement, of course, but he's carefully (and successfully) crafting an image of himself as a musician and performer. I guess that it's no longer enough to be the guy in the background, making money but staying low key.