Dubstep Anthems

Slothrop

Tight but Polite
What are people's thoughts on the current crop?

I have to admit I'm really loving Cockney Thug - it's just so upful and I love the way it has really funky garage inflected percussion over a real knuckle dragger of a wobble and cheesefest trumpets. Plus it has swearing in which we all know is both big and clever.

Night I'm still not 100% on - it's not got much to it afaict apart from a cheesy hook. OTOH it is one of the greatest cheesy hooks in recent years, and it does come with the implication that you can still do pretty much anything within the dubstep context. Is it just me, or is there a strand of dubstep that's moving towards a sort of open ended maximal bass heavy house thing?

Not really feeling Coki's latest round of wobblers though, that might be partly because I've not heard them on a big system, but you also have to wonder how far down the road of increasingly wobbly wobbles you can actually go...

Cockney Thug is good raucous fun. It's going to do quite well isn't it? Probably not a good thing for dubstep overall though. :eek:

Night - it's probably better than I give it credit for, but what a horrible hook. Nearly as bad as Crazy Frog or something. :mad:

Peverelist - Roll With The Punches. That's just as much an anthem as far as I'm concerned.

Also really fond of Kromestar's Rainy Dayz, although it's basically dub.

Yeah, what's an anthem?

I quite like those mentalist wobblers. 3kout is alright too. Shake your head business.

ifp

request line is an anthem! i still play it all the time, propper classic!

Logos

Ghosts of my life
I love the kromestar one with the 'get up' sample, not sure if that qualifies as an anthem or not.

Skankage.

hint

party record with a siren
RSD - Pretty Bright Light is the last dubstep tune that got me really excited.

Slothrop

Tight but Polite
Cockney Thug is good raucous fun. It's going to do quite well isn't it? Probably not a good thing for dubstep overall though.
Yeah, I mean, it'd be a bad thing if it lead to wall to wall cheese. Although I guess I'd rather have wall to wall maximalist cheese than wall to wall trudge. But in terms of basic visceral response I love it anyhow - it kind of reminds me of Basement Jaxx from the days when they were actually fun.

Night - it's probably better than I give it credit for, but what a horrible hook. Nearly as bad as Crazy Frog or something. :mad:
It's the sheer fuck-offness of it that I find quite entertaining. I'm not sure how much else it's got going on, though...

Peverelist - Roll With The Punches. That's just as much an anthem as far as I'm concerned.
Yeah, goes without saying. I'm also really feeling Vaccine's & Intex's stuff atm, but I wouldn't call much of it 'anthemic'.

ramadanman

even if you took out the main lead sound ("do do do do doooooooooooooooo") out of night, it would still be a sick tune

UFO over easy

online mahjong
night is heavy.

it's so deliciously wonky.. you'd never get anything that bizarre achieve anthem status in drum and bass.

it's just over battered.. it was really nice not to hear it once at dmz last night haha

Sick Boy

All about pride and egos
night is heavy.

it's so deliciously wonky.. you'd never get anything that bizarre achieve anthem status in drum and bass.

it's just over battered.. it was really nice not to hear it once at dmz last night haha

Actually we weren't as lucky as I was hoping.

Plastician played it during a set that made me so depressed I had to leave.

hopper

Why's that? I only caught first 20 minutes of his set before I was too tired and had to go home. Selection was a bit normal but his quick mixing kept it fairly interesting for me. Bloody loved Goth Trad's set yesterday

mos dan

fact music

yeah i really don't want to be negative, cos i had a great night, but in that (supposedly) holy trio of kode9-plastician-oneman that had dragged me back to dmz for the first time all year... plastician was just a massive let-down - so so boring.

he played what felt like six identikit coki/coki-esque banal wobblers IN A ROW at one point. it wasn't music, it was just.. an indistinct rumble. then - to show how he still reps grime - he played, as he always plays, 'intensive snare', 'real tings' (briefly), and 'cha'. all of these are huge tracks, of course. but they've been his three token grimey tracks for over a year now. also seems to imply that he thinks there's no good grime out there that isn't by him. ha!

oneman on the other hand, who has been dj-ing for about a quarter of the time that plastic has, and hasn't - for example - had his own radio 1 show, completely and utterly blew him off stage, in terms of mixing and most of all in terms of selection. shows you how arbitrary success is in the dj game really.

furthermore, oneman's selections of request line and neverland just reiterated for me the incredible warmth and depth that is so singularly lacking from a lot of the more popular dubstep tracks around right now.

kode9 proved, as ever, that new dubstep can be good dubstep - he emphasised the drum, not the bass, and what a blessed relief that was - the man gave us something to dance to, not just the sound of a broken washing machine. plastic's selection has just gone wrong , i swear. macho flatulent bass bullshit.

i had a fantastic dmz, but it was despite, not because, a lot of the new dubstep tracks out there.

mos dan

fact music
Why's that? I only caught first 20 minutes of his set before I was too tired and had to go home. Selection was a bit normal but his quick mixing kept it fairly interesting for me.

yeah tbf his mixing is as tight and clever as ever, i should add. i just want him to apply his skills to some half-decent records!

ifp

^ what he said.

loved the kode9 set, especially the wonky casio refixes.

got to say i was pretty disappointed by dmz too, selection just didn't do it for me. really not feeling those "mechanical"/industrial wobblers.

sodiumnightlife

Sweet Virginia
alicia by mala - i swear that man is god. totally anti everything that's wrong with dubstep, not that there isn't a load of good stuff out there still...