Celine and Julie Go Boating

IdleRich

IdleRich
Anyone seen this film? Watched it yesterday and to be honest in some ways at least I found it a bit of a chore to get to the end. On the other hand it certainly had something about it, the dreamlike feel that is so often attributed lazily to many films was actually apparent here and it must surely have been an influence on David Lynch (for Mulholland Drive especially). The sundappled streets of Paris look beautiful and magical and the close friendship between the two protagonists has an exciting and conspiratorial fairy-tale innocence to it that makes you long for childhood. The beginning is long and slow after the famous Alice In Wonderland inspired chase that introduces the girls/women to each other and it seems to take hours of nothing much happening before the girls discover the magic sweet that takes them to the haunted house or magic stage set or whatever it is.
After this the constant repetitions of scenes from different angles and (sometimes) with slightly different protagonists is confusing and frustrating but also strangely sinister - particularly once you realise how the play/story/whatever ends.
The ending of the film when Julie and Celine do actually go on a boat trip (apparently the title is a play on words, in French to "go boating" is something equivalent to going on a wild goose chase) I found incredibly creepy. If you can stick the slow dreamlike nature of the film and the confusing lack of explanation for what is happening at any given point it's really quite rewarding. I keep thinking about bits of the film today and I can imagine that I may do for some time.
Apparently some bits of the film are improvised which probably explains the disjointed nature of the film, also there is a lot of wordplay which inevitably suffers in translation.
I've never seen any of Rivette's other films, are they like this? Are they good? What should I watch?

Townley

I felt the same when I watched it - it's not fun watching the same thing over and over - BUT - it has stayed with me and I seem to have warmed to it in retrospect... I'll need to watch it again.

I liked Paris Nous Appartient (sp?) more - it's by the same guy - much earlier but is similar in some respects (they stage a play in it for example) It's a kind of existentialist cold war thriller I suppose!

But you know if you liked Celine & Julie Go Boating then what you should really watch next is Desperately Seeking Susan which features Madonna looking gorgeous!

IdleRich

IdleRich
"But you know if you liked Celine & Julie Go Boating then what you should really watch next is Desperately Seeking Susan which features Madonna looking gorgeous!"
I think I liked it. I read that it was an influence on DSS as well. I've never seen DSS and I don't know anything about it so on the list it goes. Did you think C&J was an influence on Mulholland Drive?

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
My friend used to lecture on this film to undergrads (and is a huge David Lynch (and Madonna) fan too), so I'll ask him what he thinks.

Seems like there must be a mini-canon of massively overlong French films to be formulated by someone - La Maman et La Putain, this one, the recent one about that girls' school in a post-mortal dreamscape (whatever that was called)...

dHarry

Did you think C&J was an influence on Mulholland Drive?
I think there's an inescapable influence there, given Lynch's love of, and habit of quoting from, cinema history, and the structural similarities - two women in a world which blurs fantasy and reality and involves the mysterious death of a girl/woman. Also worth considering is another Rivette film Pont du Nord (1981), which also features two women working against a conspiracy - from this review of MD:
The tone of Celine and Julie is playful; it is a film about storytelling where the women remain in complete control. Solving the mystery is a game. In Mulholland Drive, Betty starts out on her adventure in this spirit, but she is soon overwhelmed by what she discovers: she is not a real character in a fictional scenario, but a fictional character dreamed up by Diane and pitted against a very real evil which she cannot survive. She has to turn back into Diane.

If Lynch mourns his characters' inability to transform themselves into fiction, in Pont du Nord Rivette demonstrates that this can also be a trap. Pont du Nord is the dark mirror image of Celine and Julie. Whereas in the earlier film the heroines appear in charge of their stories and the fictional personae they creat for themselves, here they appear grimly possessed by them, any identity or contact with reality draining away until they seem to be nothing more than images of old stories or movies, empty yet somehow movingly monumental figures.

Celine et Julie can be slightly difficult at first viewing, but I think Rivette is trying to question the familiar conventions of narrative and editing, and offering a fresh version of cinematic time and structure. The other narrative which C & J observe and interact with in the old house is like another film style of traditional, stilted and stagy realism (which style, by the way, Rivette had actually used straightforwardly but not very successfully in my opinion, in La Religieuse in '67), and he is in some ways commenting on how out of date it is by comparison with his New Wave stylings.

IdleRich

IdleRich
"I think there's an inescapable influence there,"
Yes, me too. The fact that both feature two girls escaping (or at least leaving) reality through an immediately intimate friendship is an obvious surface similarity. The way that both (in my opinion) successfully capture a dream feel is another. But it's not just on the surface that it's similar, both films seem to have had the same effect on me in some way.

"Celine et Julie can be slightly difficult at first viewing, but I think Rivette is trying to question the familiar conventions of narrative and editing, and offering a fresh version of cinematic time and structure."
I reckon it's something like that. The unhurried feel certainly questions "cinematic time" - there is a feeling that where somebody else might hurry a scene or cut an unimportant one to get the film down to two hours that's not even a consideration here. Rivette just thinks "I want it to happen exactly like this and so it will however long it takes". This also helps to immerse you in the film I think, because, counter-intuitively in such a dreamlike film, it makes it seem more real.

"The other narrative which C & J observe and interact with in the old house is like another film style of traditional, stilted and stagy realism (which style, by the way, Rivette had actually used straightforwardly but not very successfully in my opinion, in La Religieuse in '67), and he is in some ways commenting on how out of date it is by comparison with his New Wave stylings."
Yes, the old house appears to be a play rather than another world and a badly acted one at that. On the other hand it still manages to get across an oppressive air of melancholy. Also, there is something creepy about it of course although that is dispelled somewhat by the way the girls giggle when they return to reality.

*****SPOILER*******

The second but last scene when they take the girl boating and see all the characters from the house on another boat was very powerful. I don't know why but it seemed suddenly terrifying and sad as the two boats pass each other both staring significantly at each other. It was a real "hairs on the back of my neck rising" moment when you follow the girls' gazes to the other boat.

I've put all the other Rivette films that are available on my lovefilm list so no doubt they will be dropping through my door sooner or later.

jed_

C&J, as dHarry suggests in his post, is actually a much better second or third time round. it's not that it makes any more sense but that you can just relax and appreciate the humour in it more when you are re-watching it. most scenes in the film are completely superfluous (getting dressed up in catsuits to steal the spell book or when celine meets her nurse maid from childood in the old house) but i don't think that means that the film is too long. the extreme longueurs of the film are part of its overall draw for me and what makes it compelling and funny 2nd time round.

IdleRich

IdleRich
I watched Inland Empire the other day and seeing it so soon after C&J the similarities were striking.

rubberdingyrapids

i saw this today for the first time. i was actually really tired so not sure if that had an impact but after the first hour or so, just after the first cabaret act scene with the young boy, i found it got quite tedious. and that feeling stayed with me pretty much all the way through the house scenes until the last half hour or so when they went into the house.

to be honest i dont quite know what to make of it but i found it incredibly comic/absurd at times, a little like bunuel, if not HAHA funny (though of course, one person in the audience had to show just how clever they found it by laughing quite loudly at several points), and the two actresses i found half sweet, half annoying - they reminded me very much of this french comedy series that was on bbc2 last year (called 'women' i think?), i know theyre meant to be childlike but its also a fairly detached performance.

i will probably end up thinking about it but i only liked about 1/2 of it overall. for all the carroll/borges allusions, it didnt feel quite as magical or surreal as expected, so i never got 'lost in the film' like people have written. cant help thinking that this is another exercise in film form challenges that has lost some of its impact over time. probably a film where the impact is quite context based.

and yeah, it is obv an influence on mulholland drive, even if its just down to the two girls/one dark haired, one light haired, both kinda in love with each other dynamic. i would rather watch mulholland dr and inland empire again than this, though the first time i saw inland empire, i hated it, the second time i think - and still do - that its lynchs best movie.

it reminded me quite a bit of raul ruiz....

Last edited:

IdleRich

IdleRich
I feel I should be able to add something seeing as I started the thread but it was so long ago... I'm sure I watched at least one other Rivette film since then though.