Joe Zawinul RIP

Woebot

Zawinul.JPG

redcrescent

zaw00.jpg

Thanks polystyle, I wanted to write about these sad news here but then realized most of my Dissensus contributions are on RIP threads. Don't know what this says about my musical preferences :slanted:

Fond memories of Joe Z, a real Urwiener who made it big in 'Amerika' but never forgot his roots in the Viennese working class district of Landstrasse. Without a doubt, Austria's most significant contribution to jazz. Some lows of course, but the highs, and there were plenty, were truly phenomenal.

Had the good fortune of seeing the Zawinul Syndicate play a hi-energy set with Carlos Santana in '93/'94 in the days before the Supernatural mega sell out, about 50 hippies in the audience, almost all of whom were passing out with delight (and hasheesh and sunburn).

Christian Fennesz playing both sides of the In a Silent Way LP midway through a relaxed afternoon dj set at the Vienna Rhiz a few years back was a deeply touching moment and an inspiration for me (and a smart move on CF's part as he nipped off to the bar for a quiet beer or two).

Sadly JZ got a lot of flak in recent years for his Birdland club in Vienna which somehow never got off the ground even with some modest municipal subsidies and his grandma's famous paprika chicken dish. With the man gone its days are probably counted.

RIP Joe.

zawi3w.jpg