Six Foot Under

Woebot

Really enjoying this.

Coming to the end of the 2nd season.

How long does it stay good?

john eden

male pale and stale
Six Feet Under?

Goes up and down, but basically stays good until the end.

I think we have em all on DVD if you want a borrow.

mind_philip

saw the light
The first three seasons are absolutely peerless - the final episode of season 2 being particularly beautiful and excoriating at the same time. I really hate Brenda as a character though...

Woebot

thanks guys. john i may take you up on that offer.

@phil: yeah brenda is SUCH a twat.

our feeling (wife and i) is that it's becoming steadily more controversial for its own sake, i'm a pipe and slippers kind of dude and i'm not sure where the whole drugs/sex/violence angle is leading. sort of preferred it when it was a bit more muted...but nevertheless, great stuff

john eden

male pale and stale
thanks guys. john i may take you up on that offer.

@phil: yeah brenda is SUCH a twat.

our feeling (wife and i) is that it's becoming steadily more controversial for its own sake, i'm a pipe and slippers kind of dude and i'm not sure where the whole drugs/sex/violence angle is leading. sort of preferred it when it was a bit more muted...but nevertheless, great stuff

It does get quite heavy in places but I it is ABOUT DEATH on several levels. I think the actual relationships and the way they develop are much more interesting than the violence/sex/drugs tho yes.

Brenda is more interesting than Nate tho.

Channel 4 stopped showing this about 2 years ago, a big shame really, it was going into a decline but it was a sin to axe something as good as this. As far as I know the Americans (and maybe Sky) had an extra series or two to watch.

Channel 4 seem to want to kill high profile TV shows off. Nip/Tuck was relegated to 11 O' clock with the second series, two episodes in a row. Then they can complain that there's not enough viewers. I swear the last episode was at midnight, scheduled after a B movie midweek. Sometimes I think the terrestial channels know they're fighting a losing battle with sky and so are giving up.

Oh and nate is a nob, it's hard to sympathise with him. "boo hoo my wife is dead and i was too busy shagging left right and centre to mourn her passing"

jed_

channel 4 showed all 5 seasons of it. i know cos i watched them all on ch4, not having access to any other digital channels or torrents (until v recently). i'm not surprised you missed the last 2 seasons though, it got relegated to later and later time slots.

zhao

there are no accidents
i think brenda's one of the strongest characters in the show. totally believable. I've known a few chicks like her... :eek:

N

nomadologist

i think six feet under loses some ground after the first few seasons, but it's well worth watching anyway. it can get a little too alan ball circa american beauty at times...

brenda does represent a very typical american archetype, though i did find her awfully annoying myself...

zhao

there are no accidents
i don't find brenda annoying at all. she makes me a little nervous with the balls-out audacity; a little scared with the going-straight-for-jugular when she's pissed off; but mostly interesting and charming with the self deprecating sense of humour and the constant overly-analytical meta shit. y'know sumfin nomad... nevermind i better not. ;)

Jonesy

Wild Horses
In our house we have every box. For me it dipped in series 4 but even the greatest of athletes get a bit puffy before the final strait.

It's interesting to see what people think of Brenda. At the end of the series you really feel differently about some of characters, especially Nate and Brenda - or at least I did. The strength of the writing is how we get to know the characters through their behaviour as things happen to them and they act, rather than just a group of people and a sequence of events.

N

nomadologist

i don't find brenda annoying at all. she makes me a little nervous with the balls-out audacity; a little scared with the going-straight-for-jugular when she's pissed off; but mostly interesting and charming with the self deprecating sense of humour and the constant overly-analytical meta shit. y'know sumfin nomad... nevermind i better not. ;)

i, however, have never had sex with my brother. especially not while pregnant.

OOPS 6th season spoiler alert!!

P.S. what i find annoying about her is mostly that she'd date someone like Nate! he is SUCH the "still finding myself at 35 and shitting all over anyone in my path" type of Northern Cali cliche...i have known children of the double-shrink parents, and they are actually much more fucked up than Brenda...

Last edited:

zhao

there are no accidents
balls-out audacity; going-straight-for-jugular when she's pissed off; self deprecating sense of humour, constant overly-analytical meta shit.

add to that inability to admit that she is wrong shall we? (see Boozeless Cold Remedy)

what i find annoying about her is mostly that she'd date someone like Nate!

agreed... i know the reasons script writers have for it, seeking a semblance of balance and simplicity and all that, but it's still annoying