Ikea

sodiumnightlife

Sweet Virginia
I was at ikea yesterday, and it got me thinking...is there a general consensus in design about ikea? is it viewed as a good thing or a bad thing?

I guess it's never that simple, but any knowledge/personal opinions appreciated.

swears

preppy-kei
There's some lame ad campaign they're running at the moment, some bollocks about taking back your home from estate agents, putting up signs that say "Not for Sale". It makes me fucking cringe. Like that one about not having to work as long to buy their stuff, 'cause it's cheaper. I hate all these caring, sharing adverts, they're ridiculous. Give your stuff away for free if you "care" that much, lol.

you

I was obsessed by IKEA for a long time and produced a project about them.

I really admire everything. So disposable, flat, sterile, utopic, devoid or personality or opinion or culture.

swears

preppy-kei
I was obsessed by IKEA for a long time and produced a project about them.

I really admire everything. So disposable, flat, sterile, utopic, devoid or personality or opinion or culture.

Yeah, I do like the glossy blandness that a lot of their products have. They should play this up more in their advertising, IKEA: CONFORM.

IdleRich

IdleRich
"I really admire everything. So disposable, flat, sterile, utopic, devoid or personality or opinion or culture."
Who is Jo Wiley?
Sorry, I thought we were playing Jeopardy for a minute.

Numbers

I worked briefly for a manufacturer of design furniture when living in Italy. The general attitude towards Ikea was very despising. Not so much because Ikea-design is bad, but mostly because 1) of the rubbish material used, 2) not being Italian.