Re-versioning of rhythms in grime

Diggedy Derek

Stray Dog
Something I noticed the other day is that there's been a bit of a trend of grime producers re-doing a rhythm using their own kit- for instance a half-speed Katie Pearl tune, with a [possibly overproduced] guitar sample has been redone by IMP batch in very cheap but rather cool style. When Ghetto and Kano were doing their set on Pirate Sessions, they were surprised enough by the re-lick to go "oi, I didn't know about this!". Also, Unorthodox's No Help No Handouts has been redone, and although it just sounds like they've used the presets on their sound module, it sounds fresh.

I like this trend a lot. I think it's good to be non-precious about production, and it's cool to have more than one version of a track in circulation.

Dunno how producers feel about it though. What happens if a really top producer starts taking popular tracks and making them beefier and harder? We'd be in Bunny Lee and Studio 1 territory!

Logan Sama

BestThereIsAtWhatIDo
People just sometimes do remixes of their own tunes. the Ghetto Kyote instrumental has been around for ages, and many artists di versions, including Kano. the "remix" was done by FT, who produced Crazy T's Singalong track.