favorite musical moments in film.

bnek

this scene from the beginning of THE KILLER. (the clip stops just before the gunfight unfortunatley)

the scene in 'man without a past' when the renegades - my heart must do the crying is playing. cant find that on youtube but the music in that film is great throughout - heres another scene...

shigeru umebayashi's Yumeji's Theme from 'in the mood for love'.

and of course caetano veloso singing 'cucurrucucu paloma' in habla con ella.

what you say?

zhao

there are no accidents
Tarkovsky's Stalker: the 3 men in the trolley car on the rail going toward the Zone, and the hypnotic sound of the rail becomes the rhythm while drums are added and gets increasingly dubbed out. starts half way though this clip afriad without the context of silence before and after the scene it's not as powerful. good music in this scene as well

some good lynch music moments: isabella Rosalini lip synching "she wore blue...", similar to the caberet scene in Twin Peaks. the seemingly endless shot of car winding through the hills during opening credits of Mulholland and the dreadful, sinister heaviness of the theme... and of course the (portugese?) song in the theater.

i've mentioned this before but (the young) Kurosawa's Cure has amazing micro-sound / industrial / drone type music/sound design. sheets of grey-scale static and the dude flicks the lighter and cut to abrupt silence -- one feels himself dropping into a bottomless abysmal pit...

the black metal which erupts as the bees come out of the giant hive and covers the singer sitting alone in the room growling into the mic in Cremaster... II was it? forget who the band is supposed to be.

and... Motorhead doing Ace of Spades in that episode of the Young Ones :D

Last edited:

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
What Zhao said about Mulholland Drive. Think the song - Silencio? - is in Spanish, IIRC.

First scene of Nowhere to Hide (Korean thriller by Myung-Se Lee) choreographs a brutal murder on the Forty Steps in Inchon to the Bee Gees' 'Holiday'. It's an absolute John Woo-type masterpiece. The rest of the film is a relative disappointment.

'Fucking Amal'/'Show Me Love' recontextualises Foreigner's 'I Want to Know What Love Is' for a key scene quite brilliantly.

Then there're the more straightforward ones - most of the songs in 'Les Demimoiselles de Rochefort' (feat Catherine Deneuve and her beautiful sister, Francoise Dorleac), The Doors in Apocalpse Now (obviously), the opening of the Wicker Man to 'Corn Rigs', The Wailers' 'Burnin and Lootin' at the beginning of 'La Haine'........

Great thread idea.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
i've mentioned this before but (the young) Kurosawa's Cure has amazing micro-sound / industrial / drone type music/sound design. sheets of grey-scale static and the dude flicks the lighter and cut to abrupt silence -- one feels himself dropping into a bottomless abysmal pit...

Is this Kurosawa as in Kiyoshi? If so, finally got hold of the release of Pulse on DVD; had been looking forward to it for ages but was actually really disappointed....

While we're on Japanese cinema, 'Woman of the Dunes' ' s/t is very highly regarded.

IdleRich

IdleRich
"Tarkovsky's Stalker: the 3 men in the trolley car on the rail going toward the Zone, and the hypnotic sound of the rail becomes the rhythm while drums are added and gets increasingly dubbed out. starts half way though this clip afriad without the context of silence before and after the scene it's not as powerful. "
Love that scene (and the one afterwards when it suddenly comes in to colour).

tox

Factory Girl
Nice thread!

First scene of Nowhere to Hide (Korean thriller by Myung-Se Lee) choreographs a brutal murder on the Forty Steps in Inchon to the Bee Gees' 'Holiday'. It's an absolute John Woo-type masterpiece. The rest of the film is a relative disappointment.

I remember watching Nowhere to Hide back when I was at school and regularly think of it as the worst film I've seen to date. Is it worth another look with more mature eyes?

The burning man scene in Daft Punk's Electroma, set to Sebastian Tellier's Universe is a good-un.
Jaan Pehechaan Ho, or at least its use in the Ghost World credits is another gem.
That long steady-cam shot in Donnie Darko with Head Over Heels playing in the background always gets me, as does the Under The Milky Way bit.

zhao

there are no accidents
Is this Kurosawa as in Kiyoshi? If so, finally got hold of the release of Pulse on DVD; had been looking forward to it for ages but was actually really disappointed....

While we're on Japanese cinema, 'Woman of the Dunes' ' s/t is very highly regarded.

Pulse was not good. Cure however... is a lifeless blank stare into the void. (yes that means good)

of course Woman of the Dunes... Toru Takemitsu's Film Music box sets vol. 1 - 60 (I'm exaggerating. a LITTLE) are some of my most prized possessions...

Gavin

booty bass intellectual
More Lynch: Lady in the Radiator song:
Opening scene in Belly (not a great movie, but sort of fun to watch):

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
I remember watching Nowhere to Hide back when I was at school and regularly think of it as the worst film I've seen to date. Is it worth another look with more mature eyes?

I would never try to defend the rest of the film, but that first scene blew me away. Of course if you're opposed to the idea of cinematic violence as ballet (in that kind of Hard Boiled way), then you won't like it. If not, I think it's quite stunning.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Further thoughts:

I seem to remmeber some amazing musical moments in 'Morvern Callar'...I adore those strange, strange electro songs Buffalo Bill plays while chillin' at home in Silence of the Lambs...and Jimmy Cliff singing The Harder They Come in that iconic 'star' T-shirt is something that always cheers me up (OK, so the film as a whole is somewhat of a downer...)

zhao

there are no accidents
tried to get hold of Kurosawa's films tho, but haven't really had any joy. Any good sites you could recommend?

no... saw it in the theater me self.

about the ONLY movie that uses techno in a non-wince inducing way i can think of is Run Lola Run.

more:

ligeti psychedelic sequence in end of 2001.

stroscek playing the accordian in the empty alley.

i liked the Godspeed track (in a cheesy kinda way) in the beginning of 28 Seconds Later.

strange that the Piano Teacher doesn't have a memorable music moment for me...

tox

Factory Girl
Further thoughts:

I seem to remmeber some amazing musical moments in 'Morvern Callar'...

I was gonna bring up Morvy again, but it seems like that's the only thing I write about on this board! The attention to the soundtrack is certainly commendable though.

I almost said the lobby scene from Matrix with Spybreak in the background, but watching it back almost 7 years older and wiser, I've clocked it's a bit corny! haha.

The soundtrack Taratino and RZA came up with for Kill Bill was pretty nice but I would struggle to pick out a specific moment. Same with Broken Flowers, which has a cool soundtrack, and The Dancer Upstairs, which I'm ashamed to say turned me onto Dylan and Hendrix as a 15 year old.

As for Nowhere to Hide, I guess I'll add it to my list of films to watch again. If the Matrix now appears corny, I'm sure I could find Nowhere to Hide amazing.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Nothing wrong with giving props to Lynne Ramsay (criminally underrated in some quarters, I think).

Just watch the first five mins of Nowhere to Hide. It's true that the rest is kinda shoddy.

tom pr

Be My Baby at the start of Mean Streets.
Definitely.

I also really liked the fact they used about a dozen Broken Social Scene songs in Half-Nelson, as if Gosling's character was actually a massive fan of the band and he was associating the scenarios in the film with bits of music that he loved, the way I imagine most of us here do...