is alex petridis dead?

mpc

wasteman
Debate was rife this week over whether ex-dance music journalist and Guardian music reviewer Alex Petridis is dead or not.

Various well respected commentators have pointed out that as he has had nothing particularly ground-breaking or original to say over the past year, it is quite reasonable to speculate that he is dead. Others have pointed to the rise in popularity of other areas of journalism as evidence that the market for cynical hacks jumping on bandwagons is diminishing.

The columnist had sparked controversy in recent months after penning several articles about the death of dance music, managing to panic large numbers of dance music professionals into questioning their own worth and whether they will be able to afford their mortgages over the coming year. However, if rumours of Petridis' death prove to be true, they can all get back to the real business of making great music and having fun.

An industry insider said 'this is fantastic news. Petridis has been seriously pissing me off recently, so news of his death is a real boost. I can't believe that he could seriously write those articles when there are literally thousands upon thousands of people going clubbing in the UK each weekend, never mind the thriving Berlin scene, the success of the Sonar and Latin American festivals, the expanding Asian and American markets and the incredible success story that is Australia. What a Twat.'

Others have pointed out that what is actually great about dance music right now, is that all the fucking idiots who were in it for a few years because raving was fashionable have now pissed off to go and listen to the Zutons and Snow Patrol, leaving behind an admittedly smaller UK audience, but one that has levels of commitment and enthusiasm unmatched in recent times who love the scene, the music, the people and the experiences that only dance music can offer. Even more importantly - an audience that simply will not let dance music die.

Petridis' family have asked that mourners send 12" records instead of flowers to the funeral, preferably intolerable mid-90s happy house records such as 'Always Something There To Remind Me' by Tin Tin Out, or 'I Believe' by the Happy Clappers. Apparently they were some of his favourite records.

One last insider did, however, point out that speculating on the journalist's death was almost as stupid as doing the same to a worldwide genre of music.

Ness Rowlah

Norwegian Wood
petridis and paphidis (the times) were both bigging up robbie's awful "radio"
at the tail end of last year.
well - at least giving mr duffy at lot of millimeters on print with very similar pieces.

Mr Duffy clearly thinks he is writing masterpieces, while Q (the new synth issue
- which I quite like) compared it to one of Cliff Richard's efforts to sound modern
(I wish I thought of that one - it is spot on). P&P can both write - but
I wish they spent their time on something more exciting ...

petridis: http://www.guardian.co.uk/arts/critic/feature/0,1169,1327168,00.html
paphidis: http://www.timesonline.co.uk/newspaper/0,,175-1390944,00.html

LRJP!

(Between Blank & Boring)
Ness Rowlah said:
petridis and paphidis (the times) were both bigging up robbie's awful "radio"
at the tail end of last year.
well - at least giving mr duffy at lot of millimeters on print with very similar pieces.

Mr Duffy clearly thinks he is writing masterpieces, while Q (the new synth issue
- which I quite like) compared it to one of Cliff Richard's efforts to sound modern
(I wish I thought of that one - it is spot on). P&P can both write - but
I wish they spent their time on something more exciting ...

spot on indeed! I can't believe anybody thinks that Radio is worth any sort of a damn. I mean there are myriad pop records which shit on it from every angle; it's just ick. I can't work out who the hell buys Robbie Williams records... i mean they manage to be more annoying and less interesting than just about anything outside of the ColdKeaneDidoPatrol axis.