New Grime Mixtapes

28 Gun Nice Boy

I'm buying Skepta's 'Greatest Hits' today but was wondering if anyone has any other recommendations for Grime CDs that have come out recently? The thing with mixtapes is it's not like vinyl where you can easily get a preview of what they sound like.

I've already picked up recently (and can recommend to others):

'Star In The Hood' Tinchy Stryder (actually this is great, really rich production and full of catchy hooks but maybe not one for the grime purist).
'Axiom' Durrty Goodz (Goodz' flow is awesome but I wasn't as blown away by the production and some of the concepts as some people where).
'Soul Food Vol.2' Trim (I love this, the riddims might not be as strong as volume one but I think his lyrics have more depth on this volume).
'Back II Da Lab Vol.II' Frisco (a lot of filler but worth it for the highlights).
'Split Endz Volume 2' NY

OK, one's that I'm interested to hear people's views on (but if you've any other suggestions please let me know):

'Thunder Power' Scorcher (I'm yet to be convinced by The Movement but am happy to be convinced if anyone can recommend one of their CDs).
'Ghetto Gospel' Ghetto (ditto...)
'Don't Let The Name Trick You' Little Dee
'League Of My Own' Chipmunk
'Seasons of Sickness' Sick Sense Crew (I liked their recent EP - is the LP as good?)

john eden

male pale and stale
I have the Ghetto one, but I don't like it as much as Trim, Goodz, etc. I keep meaning to listen to it more, but never seem to get round to it.

I like Jammer's "Are You Dumb 2" as well.

continuum

smugpolice
My favourites this year have been:

Skepta - Greatest Hits .... pop grime without being cheesy

Jammer - Are You Dumb Vol2 ... love the bar he spits on the Rapid produced 'You're Taking The Piss' track which goes: Ask Wiley and Lady Di/They might know the reason why/Relationships might die/But that's how its got to go

Wong - I Bet This Will Stay In Your Car For A Year ... Wong is an amazing talent and has produced an album rather than a mixtape, hidden gem

Durtty Goodz - Axiom EP ... bit uneven but has 2 or 3 absolute bangers on there

Got most of mine from UK Recordshop - They can be very slow (one order took a month to arrive) but haven never not sent the stuff

blubeat

blubeat
Got most of mine from UK Recordshop - They can be very slow (one order took a month to arrive) but haven never not sent the stuff
Excellent, time to get out the credit card then. Thanks for the recommendations too. This just what I needed.

viktorvaughn

Two fantastic mixtapes away from BBK/Wiley/Ruff Sqwad axis I have absolutely battered are

Blaze More Dan U - Kronick

R.E.-Development Mixtape - D.E.Velopment (pka Devilman).

Guess they didn't come out that recently. And the Mercston one if you don't have it is essential in my eyes.

Very curious to check out the Nasty Jack tape as have been listening to loads of him c. 2001/2 and he really was up there at the top, incredible amount of character and variety. Funny how rubbish DEE sounds from that period.

Last edited:

tom pr

been listening to the Chipmunk one alot - highly recommended
Chipmunk is absolutely amazing. He reminds me of Scorcher at the end of 05/beginning of 06, always turning up with new bars, and just upping the energy on every set he turns up at. I havent heard the new one yet, but the Motivation Music mixtapes he's been doing are excellent, all free downloads from his myspace...

I interviewed him the other night, and he seems a really good bloke to boot.

If you don't have the Trim mixtapes, that's a must. I quite like the P Money one too, although the odd sweetboy one does piss me off. "Coins 2 Notes".

Wong - I Bet This Will Stay In Your Car For A Year ... Wong is an amazing talent and has produced an album rather than a mixtape, hidden gem

i loved orchestra boroughs and i think hes not a bad producer, but this cd is so bad. absolutely unlistenable. The artwork on gettin' stronger was absolutely fantastic though.

i hear tempa t is putting a mixtape out soon

msoes

neckle camp - straight necklin is probably my favourite mixtape

even though gully ranjah and knuckles arent exactly good mcs, the strength of the songs carries it through. i wish their were more crew albums, everybody wants to do it themselves, be a star.

continuum

smugpolice
i loved orchestra boroughs and i think hes not a bad producer, but this cd is so bad. absolutely unlistenable.

I absolutely rinsed it when I first got it. Haven't listened to it since then though. I'm a sucker for sweet, cute things and the casio-keyboard preset piano sounding tunes with the female singers on there I just think are really catchy and unusual.

Wong is a funny fucker as well and a few of the really uptempo tunes early on I really rate. Might not be to everyones taste though.

Immryr

the new Chipmunk one is brilliant. i was disappointed with the ghetto one, a couple of really good tracks on there, but thats about it. not nearly as good as his first.

lord of the decks/mics 1 is amazing. escobar over ice rink 2 kills it, as does stormin - not shit

the aim high ones were really good aswell, first two especially

prancehall has some jokes at mr wongs expense, photos of him driving a bus in peckham, and his parents dodgy corner shop selling little plastic bags and scales