N.W.A's "Efil4Zaggin"

Woebot

Woah! Found this under a rock...

Shockingly amazingly LP! Astonishing.

Easily the best thing Dre has ever done.

crackerjack

Woah! Found this under a rock...

Shockingly amazingly LP! Astonishing.

Easily the best thing Dre has ever done.

i've heard others say that before, but the vocals without Cube are so shockingly, numbingly awful I can't listen to it. I fucking like a bit of motherfucking swearing myfuckingself, but there are fucking limits.

Woebot

i've heard others say that before, but the vocals without Cube are so shockingly, numbingly awful I can't listen to it. I fucking like a bit of motherfucking swearing myfuckingself, but there are fucking limits.

Yes they say when he left they really lowered the tone. It does set standards for lyrical content, but I never really hear lyrics. Just so ravishing sonically.

Perhaps everyone's tolerance for Hip-Hop's lyrics is sagging because the sonic just can't sustain interest? This must be the benchmark for that attraction/repulsion dynamic.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.

Fuck the motherfucking limits. Limits are for hos, etc etc.

Great LP as far as production goes, and, let's face it, if you've listened to any amount of hardcore hip-hop, you're kinda desensitised to awful lyrics to a shocking degree.

crackerjack

Great LP as far as production goes, and, let's face it, if you've listened to any amount of hardcore hip-hop, you're kinda desensitised to awful lyrics to a shocking degree.

Yeah, but I wasn't at the time. Back in '90(?) this level of profanity was actually quite shocking, not in a good 'wow, aren't they naughty' way, but in a 'ffs, can't you get to the end of a sentence without saying fuck, you one-dimensional cunts' kinda way.

If I heard it again now, it might seem quite mild, who knows.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Yeah, but I wasn't at the time. Back in '90(?) this level of profanity was actually quite shocking, not in a good 'wow, aren't they naughty' way, but in a 'ffs, can't you get to the end of a sentence without saying fuck, you one-dimensional cunts' kinda way.

If I heard it again now, it might seem quite mild, who knows.

Fair point - I was always listening to it in retrospect (must've been 12 or something when it came out).

I do think there is still something shocking about it, but to me it's not just the language/sentiment. Maybe it's the nihilistic, style-less aggression with which it's delivered which distinguishes it from, say, later G-funk.

For the record, the only record I've ever found genuinely shocking (and, to be honest, fascinating because of it) was Tupac's 'Hit 'em Up'. Have never heard such pure, mocking hatred/bile before or since against a specified target.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Ah, contradicted myself there. Should have said 'the only record I've found totally and utterly shocking', or something.

gumdrops

the production IS amazing - kinda the last full length album production from dr dre when he was still working mainly with noticeable samples (you can see the signs of his sonic perfectionism threatening to take over). i still like the chronic more as an album though - its sort of funny how nwa here take the stupidity/immaturity to new levels, but its just too braindead compared to their previous stuff. even the 100 miles and runnin ep (the first thing they did post-ice cube leaving) wasnt as dumb as this.

Last edited:

mms

sometimes
the 100 miles n running EP is better than "efilez4zaggin"

yeah i'd agree here, brilliant stuff. the other one i like from this era dre is livin like hustlers by above the law which is like a prequel to the second batch of nwa stuff.

crackerjack

yeah i'd agree here, brilliant stuff. the other one i like from this era dre is livin like hustlers by above the law which is like a prequel to the second batch of nwa stuff.

That album is classic and now I'm pissed off because I thought I had the vinyl, but I haven't. Tine to dust off the old tapes :(

Weird, I just removed this from my record collection and put it in the box of tunes reserved for taking donw the Exchange to sell.
Unlistenably awful rapping and crap like "automobile" that takes a sweet old Parliament song and ruins it.
Dre's best stuff IMO is all from when he had a jheri curl - House Calls is my fave.

adruu

This Is It
I havent heard the album in years, but for some reason Ive been able to recite E's verse on Appetite for Destruction almost on request for almost ten years "by the time you get to seven youll be six feet deep"

I wonder how Ren's first solo album stands up, maybe I'll draw for that later.

mms

sometimes
I havent heard the album in years, but for some reason Ive been able to recite E's verse on Appetite for Destruction almost on request for almost ten years "by the time you get to seven youll be six feet deep"

I wonder how Ren's first solo album stands up, maybe I'll draw for that later.

rens solo album uis terrible called kizz my black azz, shocking.

the one good single he produced is that track ballad of a menace, thats a goodey but laughable ott in the violence stakes

petergunn

plywood violin

Hey Juan, look at the piece of ass man
Watch out watch out watch out homes!
Oh shit man you fucked up, you hit a police car
I didn't see that piece of caca!
Better act like you don't speak ingles homes
What the fuck? Get your ass out of there, I've had enough
of your raggedy ass motherfuking shit!
No! No me pagan, por que me pagan, no! Por favor, no, no!
Por que?

in other news, that MC Ren song "the final frontier" is fucking awesome... with the beefed up "bridge is over" beat...

Benny Bunter

What's Eazy E's solo album 'Easy duz it' like then? That was produced by Dre as well wasn't it just after 'Compton'?

Excellent in my opinion.
Better than Efil4zaggin by a long way!

Especially "2 Hard Muthas"

fuck it up yella!