chris morris new series stuff

Rambler

Awanturnik
Can't help thinking that Morris is a little behind the curve on this one - Nathan Barley was hysterically spot-on three years ago when he used to crop up on TVGoHome, but I'm not confident it'll hit the mark quite as well. Then again, Chris Morris is the man for the job, so we'll see.

grimly fiendish

all i can say is that the manic-miner-loading-screen-style blip slot on C4 the other day made me very excited about this.

but then that means i am nathan barley. fuck.

henrymiller

i like it, but barley is completely unlike his internet incarnation, a lot less 'cool' about things. tvgh nathan would never have rapped. it's interesting bcz dan ashcroft is kind of a charlie brooker character, clearly part of what he despises, but unable to do anything but hate on his peers. moved to the guardian/weekend on sunday, he (like jacques peretti) has nothing to contribute. all this makes nathan barley look a bit better than he did on the website. retrospectively tvgh looks like the work of dan ashcroft.

michael

Bring out the vacuum
Got a friend of mine at work to watch some of this recently and he said he'd been taught the cock muff bumhole game by some friends while attending an electronica gig in a basement bar funded by a design studio. He'd only found out a long time after the fact that it was in fact an ironic game played by "the idiots" in this TV show.

And there we were sharing laughs about it all in between chatting about the latest torrents or youtube finds and whatever unapproachable music most of the known world considers rubbish... IME it's quite a strange relationship between the series' biggest fans and its subject matter.

It's clearly a joke.

OMG just googled and they actually exist.

I want to die.

No, I want them to die.

oh dear oh dear.

reminds me of doing a gig in sheffield and meeting this guy who kept saying "peace and fuckin yeah?" and other stuff from nathan barley, like he hadn't twigged that it was a satire against the kind of nitwits who go round quoting catchphrases from tv etc.
but perhaps the makers knew/hoped it would happen.

i find nathan barley extremely bleak viewing actually. I mean it's really good but more depressing than funny.

mos dan

fact music
nah, i think it definitely IS a joke. just quite a well-organised one, with a myspace and everything.

i find barley pretty depressing as well. at least the office gave us redemption in the xmas special for chrissakes.

Obviously they make humourous music but you can actually buy the record.

It's not just a joke, they are really doing it.

Martin Dust

Techno Zen Master
reminds me of doing a gig in sheffield and meeting this guy who kept saying "peace and fuckin yeah?" and other stuff from nathan barley, like he hadn't twigged that it was a satire against the kind of nitwits who go round quoting catchphrases from tv etc.
but perhaps the makers knew/hoped it would happen.

i find nathan barley extremely bleak viewing actually. I mean it's really good but more depressing than funny.

Too true, I've been in meeting with loads of them. Was Sugarape based on meetings at Dazed and Confused?

swears

preppy-kei
Too true, I've been in meeting with loads of them. Was Sugarape based on meetings at Dazed and Confused?

Sugar Ape's blatantly Vice isn't it? There was even a "Vice" issue, Vice is alright when they're not trying to constantly wind up liberals for the sake of it.

tox

Factory Girl
Sugar Ape's blatantly Vice isn't it? There was even a "Vice" issue, Vice is alright when they're not trying to constantly wind up liberals for the sake of it.

Yeah I always assumed Sugar Ape was Vice and the "Vice" issue pretty much confirmed that. Dazed is a whole lot more girly and imo actually pretty good at face value.

(Not that Vice doesn't have its thought provoking or worthwhile moments, but that's for another thread innit.)

crackerjack

According to this he is now making a film about fundamentalism:

http://www.warpfilms.com/#page=NewsPage.30

And he wants you to pay for it:

At the moment the detonator’s going off and you’re part of it but until the effect has gone exponential, your mails are being sorted by one person so bear with me.

Many people have asked us exactly what the Four Lions project is. Clearly we can’t launch the film before its been shot, but I’ve pulled together a few paragraphs from the paperwork that’s been flying around. Its shameless hype but its accurate – unlike almost
everything you will have read in the press. No one who has read the script could disagree with a word here.

In three years of research, Chris Morris has spoken to terrorism experts, imams, police, secret services and hundreds of Muslims. Even those who have trained and fought jihad report the frequency of farce. At training camps young jihadis argue about honey, cry for their mums, shoot each other’s feet off, chase snakes and get thrown out for smoking. A minute into his martyrdom video, a would-be bomber looks puzzled and says “what was the question again?” On millennium eve, five jihadis set out to ram a US warship. They slipped their boat into the water and carefully stacked it with explosives. It sank.

Terrorist cells have the same group dynamics as stag parties and five a side football teams. There is conflict, friendship, misunderstanding and rivalry. Terrorism is about ideology, but it’s also about berks.

Four Lions is a funny, thrilling fictional story that illuminates modern British jihad with an insight beyond anything else in our culture. It plunges us beyond seeing these young men as unfathomably alien. It undermines the folly of just wishing them away or alienating
the entire culture from which they emerge. It understands how terrorism relates to testosterone. It understands jihadis as human beings. And it understands human beings as innately ridiculous. As Spinal Tap understood heavy metal and Dr Strangelove the Cold War, Four Lions understands modern British jihadis.

As for your offer, we’re hoping to set up a one click pay scheme soon.

We’ll let you know.

mms

sometimes
Release date: November 17th 2008

On The Hour (Series One) WARPCD134 - 4 x CD box set
On The Hour (Series Two) WARPCD135 - 4 x CD box set

including lots of extra material apparently.

crackerjack

Release date: November 17th 2008

On The Hour (Series One) WARPCD134 - 4 x CD box set
On The Hour (Series Two) WARPCD135 - 4 x CD box set

including lots of extra material apparently.

That the Day Today forerunner, the radio version?