Your top 5 countries of best music

bun-u

Trumpet Police
Obviously based on music you've been exposed to so unlikely to be a real test of which country produces the best music.

From thinking about my music tastes - it's...

1. USA
2. Jamaica
3. UK
4. Germany
5. Brazil

anyone got any wild variation on this?

zhao

there are no accidents
way too broad and very problematic question...

the divide of geographic and cultural regions into nation states is arbituary as far as music is conerned. you have the same tradition or variations of divided into many countries, and the musical map of place like England is made up of so many different countries and cultures...

also it would be a different thing if we talking about present output or richness of heritage -- because stifling political situations smother artistic development in certain areas. why a place like China hadnt much to offer in terms of modern music better part of last century -- yet it has deep, immensely rich, and staggeringly diverse traditions (5000+ groups of ethnic minorities).

my personal favorite music comes from the following, but it's still grossly inaccurate because Africa is not a country...

1. Indonesia
2. India
3. Iran (Persian classical)
4. America
5. England

bun-u

Trumpet Police
way too broad and very problematic question...

I don't think it is - it can be dealt with very problematically ...particularly if you interpret it as a 'where does the best music comes from' - but no, it's a question which looks to reveal your exposure to different music and which bits of that you like the best. Maybe India has a tradition of different music forms to rival the US but I've only heard the odd bit of classical and the occasional Bollywood, so it doesn't make my 5

zhao

there are no accidents
about India's musical tradition (maybe) "rivaling" the united states...

India is a thousands of years old pine standing over 100 meters tall, with 100,000 roots and branches.

United States is a young oak that has seen particularly rich growth in the recent few hundred years.

Guybrush

Dittohead
1. United States
2. Germany/Austria*
3. United Kingdom
4. Sweden
5. France**

* Mostly because of Bach, Beethoven, Mozart, Schubert, Wagner, Haydn, Strauss, Mahler, Handel, Orff, Brahms, and a gazillion of other classical composers.

** Also because of its classical composers.

bun-u

Trumpet Police

India is a thousands of years old pine standing over 100 meters tall, with 100,000 roots and branches.

United States is a young oak that has seen particularly rich growth in the recent few hundred years.

maybe - but I bet what music currently gets made and played in India derives predominantly from America

viktorvaughn

You seem to be problematising the question unnecessarily a bit! The question makes no claims for objective facts - just asking for the countries that have produced the five bodies of work you like most.

1) UK

2) USA

Embarrassingly it doesn't go much further than that...

Germany for techno etc.

JA for all that stuff.

Can't even think of a 5th one.

S

simon silverdollar

i'd be tempted to put italy in there, if only for italo disco and danielle baldelli

zhao

there are no accidents
maybe - but I bet what music currently gets made and played in India derives predominantly from America

sorry, but there is not a remote "maybe" about it. it's like saying "maybe" the sun is bigger than the moon (maybe because they sometimes look to be the same size)

certainly American music is influential, but no, modern indian music, from Bhangra to Remix to Fusion to Film Music to Indi-pop, most CERTAINLY does not derive predominantly from America.

sorry to be harsh but your kind of myopic ethnocentricity is pure ignorance.

blubeat

blubeat
Jamaica
UK
USA

then I'm struggling really, that probably accounts for about 4000 of my records. I do have far too many Italo house tunes which is precisely why Italy *isn't* in the list. Was listening to some old (Dutch) 90's techno recently so maybe I can squeeze in

Holland

But I'm still struggling with a number 5...

:D

bun-u

Trumpet Police
sorry, but there is not a remote "maybe" about it. it's like saying "maybe" the sun is bigger than the moon (maybe because they sometimes look to be the same size)

certainly American music is influential, but no, modern indian music, from Bhangra to Remix to Fusion to Film Music to Indi-pop, most CERTAINLY does not derive predominantly from America.

sorry to be harsh but your kind of myopic ethnocentricity is pure ignorance.

*sighs*. I've already said I know precious little about the state of current Indian music (an area in which you're obviously a redeemed scholar) ...so perhaps I shouldn't have chucked in my little wager. I've already stated this thread is simply about the country of origin of your own music tastes. You seem desperate for it to be about something else - perhaps start another thread?

tox

Factory Girl
1. UK
2. America
3. Nigeria
4. Germany
5. Japan - Not so much for Japanese made music, although there's some wicked stuff out there, but for the sheer dedication. Massive record shops, amazing clubs and die-hard support of artists. Admirable).

It does seem like a strange question to answer at first, but then I suppose it's in a similar vein to that one about British authors over in the Arts folder.

sing_minimal

it's hard to leave out italy for 60s pop music, france for gainsbourg and all those lovely house producers, japan for it's rich music scene, norway for ambeint music, iceland for crazies, jamaica for dub and india for their classic music.

bruno

est malade
even with something like rock and roll, which is arguably of american origin and all pervasive the truly influential bands have been british, not american. americans like to think they have had more influence than they have actually had. with india it could be argued that it has influenced the western imagination more than the other way around, just look at the beatles!