Magical/ethereal singers

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
I saw Joanna Newsom last night in London, and was absolutely blown away - spent most of the evening with a blissful smile on my face as I was taken somewhere considerably more magical than the Royal Albert Hall (of course impressive enough in itself).

Joanna's music does the same thing for me as something like Kate Bush's 'The Dreaming', in taking me to a 'safe' and beautiful place that most musicians can't even come near to. Other singers/works I'd put in this category:

Bjork (of course), particularly on the best bits of 'Homogenic' (Joga, All is Full of Love)
Meredith Monk - Gotham Lullaby

Any more ideas...?

Reactions: sus

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Eeee, I can't stand Newsom.
Nico, on the first Velvets album...now you're talking!
Also the incredibly mournful-sounding Arabic woman sampled on the track Hizbollah on Ministry's The Land Of Rape And Honey.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Eeee, I can't stand Newsom.
Nico, on the first Velvets album...now you're talking!
Also the incredibly mournful-sounding Arabic woman sampled on the track Hizbollah on Ministry's The Land Of Rape And Honey.

ah well, you seem to have good taste otherwise! ;)

Nico - love her. Been listening to 'Janitor of Lunacy' loads recently, after listening to the John Lydon Capital Radio show. Will check the Ministry track out.

xpost - Susannah is a great call, One week this year I think I listened to nothing else except the cover of 'Crazy, crazy nights'.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Hmm, I just find Newsom to be of the excessively-earnest school of soul-baring indie that there's so much of around at the moment. Just not my thing.
Is there one particularly good Nico album I should get first? The VU debut is the only thing I have by her.

Last edited:

zhao

there are no accidents
going by the title of the thread:

B000027IGS.01._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

David Hykes & the Harmonic Choir - Hearing Solar Winds

from what I understand, David Hyke's vocal work is based on ideas and techniques derived from Tibetan and Tuvian throat singing traditions, yet streamlined and refined according to an european choral aesthetic - the result somewhat akin to an Eastern gregorian chant... or if Arvo Part converted to Buddhism.

recorded in an old church, the resonant psychoactive overtones slowly build from the layering of voices; hair-raising and chillingly powerful in its majestic stillness - this is deeply transporting and transcendent stuff - music for mystical journeys and out of body experiences.

regrettably, like so many others, his later work succumbed to the garish tackiness of new-age music; but this earlier recording, regarded by many to be his masterpiece, is nothing of the sort - uncompromising and rigorous in its mystical search for a perfect sound - the Ocora label would not let us down.

I recommend late night or dawn as optimum times for this record; or meditating for a while in silence before listening.

http://rapidshare.com/files/19860706/THCDHHSWall.zip

gek-opel

entered apprentice
Hmm, I just find Newsom to be of the excessively-earnest school of soul-baring indie that there's so much of around at the moment. Just not my thing.
Is there one particularly good Nico album I should get first? The VU debut is the only thing I have by her.

I find Newsom to be similarly gruesome. Nico-wise I reckon yr best bet is probably either The Marble Index or Desertshore... the latter being much more consistent, the former with a few brilliant tracks and a few less so. Both have production by John Cale and have been reissued recently I believe. They have a reputation for being extremely difficult listens, but I think that is only half correct, they are more exceptionally cold and dour, but probably only as much as Joy Division say, and with an overwhelmingly medieval European mood to them.

drilla

good spirits or bad spirits?

claudia sarne, of 12 rounds
john balance
billie holiday
old dirty bastard

Gabba Flamenco Crossover

High Sierra Skullfuck
Laura Nyro is the most witchlike of female singers, even more so than Nico. No-one sits on the fence with Laura Nyro, they either absolutely love her or it's like fingernails down a blackboard. Even in the 60s she was a bit too much for a lot of people.

Maybe start with New York Tenderberry if you're coming to her from Joanna Newsome, as it's a similar record to Ys in a lot of ways. My favorite is Christmas And The Beads Of Sweat, which is a lot darker and more political (and a bit hard to get hold of as it's never been issued on CD in the UK to my knowledge).

She had a bit of a creative/personal breakdown in the early 70s and her music after that lost quite a lot of it's initial intensity. But her albums of the late 60s are heartstoppingly good, one of the all time great 'runs' of albums, expecially given how young she was (20 when she made New York Tenderberry).

Can anyone rec any British wyrd folk singers with a magickal edge? I like Sandy Denny but I've always wanted to delve in a little further than that.

zhao

there are no accidents
i personally prefer much more traditional Tuvian or Mongolian throat singing, but this is very challeging in terms of the further outskirts of contemporary experimental vocal work. as amazing as it is difficult. thanks to blogmate Tom:

67074.jpg

Sainkho Namtchylak - Aura - vol 1 3XCD

Disc 1. (solo)

1. Red Orange
2. Deep Blue
3. Violet Silver

Dedicated to my daughter -
"may the aura surround you"

When the primal
scream entered
the sound world
of the universe it