frank gehry

nick.K

gabba survivor
yeah. Lush.... excessive.

I wouldn't want to live there, or be next door. gehry's stopped shocking me and I'm sure that shouldn't be the case with architecture. Can't say i've actually walked round the places/spaces, I've only drooled over the pictures. love the process, love the ideas but I don't think his bio-organic spectacles'll date. I'd rather see people salvaging/adapting existing buildings than classy monuments (renovation = v.expensive, I know)

mms

sometimes
nick.K said:
yeah. Lush.... excessive.

I wouldn't want to live there, or be next door. gehry's stopped shocking me and I'm sure that shouldn't be the case with architecture. Can't say i've actually walked round the places/spaces, I've only drooled over the pictures. love the process, love the ideas but I don't think his bio-organic spectacles'll date. I'd rather see people salvaging/adapting existing buildings than classy monuments (renovation = v.expensive, I know)

i'd like to see people grow buildings using genetics, then fill them out.
that would be great.

i reckon it would work if kids were taught how to build neural networks using neural lego.

kodama

Southern Steppa
I'm quite amazed at alot of Gehry's work. And the design process that got him there is just as incredible most of the time. His bizarre sketches somehow metamorphise into organic, unbelievable shapes that play with colour and light. I sometimes think architecture is one of the last artforms that still has the ability to produce original ideas.

h-crimm

mms said:
i'd like to see people grow buildings using genetics, then fill them out.
that would be great.

i reckon it would work if kids were taught how to build neural networks using neural lego.

have you seen those archigram design concepts for 'burrows'? you get a block of something soft and scratch out tubes to be your home (under architect supervision) then you spray the inside with wall/window material and melt off the original block.

i wish archigram had managed to build something more substantial than a childrens play area...