peculiar yet great moments

zhao

there are no accidents
genre defying, or just reputation defying; improbable yet (at least partially) awesome.

gang gang dance - god's money : can't think of too many examples of rock bands taking rhythmic cues from dancehall. and the lo fi electronics...

orbital - the box (single) : just heard this again. it's like gamelan influenced pre-dubstep electro-break-hop. unlikely but still great after all these years - one of the few such things from the 90s that still hold up.

slowdive - in mind remixes : these just came out of nowhere at the time and was really impressive to me... still doesn't sound like anything else out there.

there have been many times in various places where all of a sudden a rock tune from the 60s would have this 4/4 kick or whatever and I'm like have to remember to use in set but always end up forgetting :(

henry s

Street Fighting Man
the new Iron & Wine LP: indie/alt.country act takes cues from King Tubby...not talking pastiche...

Kelley Polar - "My Beauty In The Moon": classically-trained cellist does electronic dance music inspired by barbershop vocal-harmonizing...ridiculous yet sublime...

zhao

there are no accidents
oh gosh. the last track on this Kompakt compilation, i think it was one of the Koln series, this brooding fuzz-rock guitar over 110-ish kick... narcotic slowmotion blues-techno-rock at its finest!!!

and also on Total 4 i think, toward the end there is a disco-y track where in the middle this guitar solo just pops out of fucking nowhere. def WTF moment but in a balls out awesome way :D

Leo

early mark stewart/maffia records...slightly reminiscent of the pop group but his solo backing band and adrian sherwood production took it to a stratosphere that sounded like nothing else.

basic channel singles...obviously

0 (mika vanio) -- metri cd on sahko...raw electronics, pulses and drones like i'd never heard before.

Leo

oh gosh. the last track on this Kompakt compilation, i think it was one of the Koln series, this brooding fuzz-rock guitar over 110-ish kick... narcotic slowmotion blues-techno-rock at its finest!!!

and also on Total 4 i think, toward the end there is a disco-y track where in the middle this guitar solo just pops out of fucking nowhere. def WTF moment but in a balls out awesome way :D

definitely have to ID those tunes, sounds great.

shudder

gang gang dance - god's money : can't think of too many examples of rock bands taking rhythmic cues from dancehall. and the lo fi electronics...

the dancehall rhythmic cues are even stornger (SO MUCH STRONGER) live, it's incredible. I just got the new EP, and I'm still processing it. More connection with grimey/dubsteppy sonix, but not quite as well done. I think they're struggling to figure out what they want to sound like atm.

zhao

there are no accidents
definitely have to ID those tunes, sounds great.

i got them. will get back to you.

i've been wondering for a while where a good place to start with mika vaino would be, would you reccomend that cd leo?

start with Ø - Olento or Tulkinta. still the best minimal techno EVER. unsurmountable. I'm quite convinced that they will never be topped. and from there go forward to more recent and more abstract stuff...

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Not so much a 'moment' as the whole track, but I love the synth-double bass in Front 242's EBM club classic Headhunter - just adds to the menacing atmosphere so perfectly.

Oh, and the solitary cowbell in one of the mini drum solos on The Wizard from the first Black Sabbath LP. :D

Leo

i've been wondering for a while where a good place to start with mika vaino would be, would you reccomend that cd leo?

i'm no expert but..."metri" was his first and might be hard to find. in a similar vein are some other cds he release as 0 ("olento", "tulkinta", "kantamoinen").

note that this stuf is not dance music, it's pretty minimal dyi electronics, some with a bit of a beat and some more experimental and drifting. can't really pick a *best* one, i like "metri" because it was my introduction to the realm but you'd probably be fine in getting any of these others and then deciding it you want/need more.

i don't have any stuff he released under his own name and only a few of the older panasonic/pansonic cds, which can be a little more industrial sounding. and then there's also the "tetra" cd he released as philus that's very sparse/clinical sounding.

hope than helps, others probably know more than i do on the man and can lend further advice.

Slothrop

Tight but Polite
0 (mika vanio) -- metri cd on sahko...raw electronics, pulses and drones like i'd never heard before.
I absolutely love that record. I think it's the unashamed synthyness of the sound and the way that it's abstract but really bold.

zhao

there are no accidents
Not so much a 'moment' as the whole track, but I love the synth-double bass in Front 242's EBM club classic Headhunter - just adds to the menacing atmosphere so perfectly.

have heard that used in so many different contexts... think the latest was a funk carioca track. always glad when i hear it :D though not out of character or genre defying...

Re; Mika Vainio, you can't really go wrong. solo records under his name tend to be more abstract. but those finns just have that impeccable fucking perfect sound -- even when it's harsh noise, it's the kind of harsh noise that sounds so fucking good, as loud as you play it (versus loads of other noise music which is often headache inducing and annoying). no one else comes remotely close.

oh and that Art Ensemble record on Soul Jazz where they go funk. classic example of the sort of thing I'm on about.

Last edited:

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
have heard that used in so many different contexts... think the latest was a funk carioca track. always glad when i hear it :D thought not out of character or genre defying...

Cool...d'you mean that general sound, or the specific bassline?

zhao

there are no accidents
that specific synthy chug chug wump wump bass thing. it pops up in breaks, in techno, in one a them Electric Ladyland noise-hop comps... all over.

S

simon silverdollar

there's a track off the last perlon comp, i think by narcotic syntax, called 'raptor's delight' or something, that is just insanely melodramatic acid-pop that really sounds like nothing else before or since.

or what about The Fall's 'bill is dead', which has mark e smith writing the most beautiful love song, and almost crooning it!