next/now genuine joyous pop sensation phenomenon

egg

Dumpy's Rusty Nut
come on you slags! what is it? why isn't it?

this being a tangent from the wire thread:

re. gwen stefani - maximum respect for her performance energy - the 'don't speak' video a case in point, but agreed the wywf chorus is real by numbers 'repeat it so often they have no choice but to remember it' stuff.

'these words' by numbers just the same - urgh - urgh bleueeeeuuuurgh - hack*hack - professional humourless writer/producer syndrome. no soul! i find n bedders v unsympathetic.

d bedders is one crazee pooch but at least his music was heartfelt. well it was on the first album.

i am waiting for the next heartfelt genuine pop phenomenon. last one that springs to mind was 'move your feet'.

scissor sisters almost there, but not quite. joyous yes - but not quite the full astonishing monty on songwriting or production.

Dunno 'bout pure pop, but my money's on the latest pop-rock boy-band-with-guitars Noise Next Door . The heirs to Busted's crown I reckon. First time I saw them I thought 'fuck-they've finally made a perfect group by cloning from a single cell!". Turns out they're just triplets, tho'.

What's all this latest nonsense in the pop-dance mainstream crossover? Taking the chorus from an old hit and just looping it mindlessly under a disco beat. That one 'Call On Me' was okay, I thought. The huge, uplifting chorus from Steve Winwood's 'Valerie' seemed suited to the perpetual euphoria of commercial dance muzik and I liked the post-Daft Punk extreme compressed sound. But then there's that one that samples Hall & Oates' 80s tech-rock classic 'Out Of Touch' that just stinks - it's unbelievably moronic. Now there's this one that samples ELO's "Shine A Little Love" which is equally mind-knumbing. I know sampling old hits is nothing new, but the latest crop seem to show a catastrophic lack of imagination. No wonder kids are buying guitars and amps now instead of turntables - when this is the sort of dance music they're exposed to. Surely we didn't fight the Dance Culture wars for this?!! :mad:

luka

i love all of marios singles so far
if i could sing i'd walk down the street singing them
is that too r&b too be pop?

egg

Dumpy's Rusty Nut
>>>>What's all this latest nonsense in the pop-dance mainstream crossover? Taking the chorus from an old hit and just looping it mindlessly under a disco beat. That one 'Call On Me' was okay, I thought. ...... Surely we didn't fight the Dance Culture wars for this?!!

I fucken love that call on me, it's superb. And yes, we DID fight the dance culture wars for this! bring it on!

>>>>>>>>>i love all of marios singles so far
if i could sing i'd walk down the street singing them
is that too r&b too be pop?

mario winans?

I do like 'i don't wanna know' but it's not pure joyous unadulterated pop expression. it's more 'i'm a bit lame lady' (over admittedly classic pdid).

to qualify, entrants must have as much wide-eyed wonder as jake from scissor sisters :)

S

simon silverdollar

yeah 'call on me' was fantastic- dance music as an eternal climax of joy.
i feel no guilt for liking at all.
'these words' however, IS a guilty pleasure for me. the whole thing of song lyrics about trying to write song lyrics is disgusting, i know, but i can't help but love this song...

owen

i really really like the gwen stefani album, better than anything i've heard on a wire tapper for a while
but liking something. anything by the perpetrator of 'dont speak' does induce an unavoidable shame.

but it honestly is a fantastic record, most of it sounds like some pile-up of 'bizarre love triangle', lene lovich (yay!) and the good bits in the first NERD album....lovely glossy synths, sentimentalism, everything as overproduced as possible= great

'i believe in you' by kylie is amazing too. i'm no fan of her general shtick but by law there is one great kylie single per year (or at least since 2001)

and call on me is obviously great

It's not totally now, but in a kind of reshuffled, rebooted million miles-per-hour ransacking of the past that the Avalanches did so well, the Go! Team's Thunder, Lightning, Strike album is really genuine, utterly joyous, and definitely pop. It's Roxanne Shante meets Huggy Bear meets Beastie Boys meets Saint Etienne's Nothing Can Stop Us. If getting your songs used on trailers for Match of the Day is one index of poptasm today, then they have to qualify.

Also: Jens Lekman.

hint

party record with a siren
the only big pop hit in the waiting right now that I've heard is "one thing" by amerie

ryan17

the only reason why people like the 'call on me' song is because thomas bangalter from daft punk wrote it.

MoS jacked it from him.

it is good though.

redcrescent

ryan17 said:
the only reason why people like the 'call on me' song is because thomas bangalter from daft punk wrote it.
I knew that it was a track Daft Punk wrote but didn't use, but isn't the original 'Valerie' by Steve Winwood?

LRJP!

(Between Blank & Boring)
i'm still hung up on Lose My Breath as far as poptasm goes; everytime i hear that first ten seconds of martial break/cut i'm fizzy. It really started to make sense when i heard it, tinny and super-strident out of somebody elses headphones, on my way to work... i also loved the nu-old-retro disco float of the last Kylie single...

egg

Dumpy's Rusty Nut
LRJP! said:
i'm still hung up on Lose My Breath as far as poptasm goes; everytime i hear that first ten seconds of martial break/cut i'm fizzy. It really started to make sense when i heard it, tinny and super-strident out of somebody elses headphones, on my way to work... i also loved the nu-old-retro disco float of the last Kylie single...
lose my breath = grade a++ performance - amazing - but as cowell would say it's more of a groove than a song - it's all beats and vocal arrangement. very fine all the same

i believe in you = grade b song with grade a vocal arrangement/production - her voice really fizzes out of the radio. but it hardly heralds a new pop dawn.

i just heard the new will smith, it seemed a bit lame, we will see if it grows. but it's comparing unfavourably to his incredible pop-rap reign last time round. made me want to hear a new richard blackwood tune :D

jed_

I can't believe we've got this far without a mention of Tori Alamaze's "Don't Cha" - pop single of this year and last!

egg

Dumpy's Rusty Nut
luka said:
no not mario whiner
mario
just a friend, let me love you etc
just heard let me love you

not convinced. comeon pop people, where's the energy?

mms

sometimes
i'd really like someone like annie to do well, that chewing gum single was quite good , but there is a remix by morris fulton of a track called heatbeat, which is the most breathlessy gorgeous thing i've heard in ages, absolutley groovy and libidinous.

i think house music, in proper quite slow house music with bass, echo and real hypnotic grooviness is making a bit of a comeback , that abel durque record coming soon on gigolo i have high hopes for.

hint

party record with a siren
recently heard a new janet jackson track called pops up!... produced by rich harrison - the guy who did crazy in love, amerie's one thing, j lo's new track etc....

it's quite amusing - all about erections as far as I can tell. something a bit desperate about janet getting all raunchy at this stage in her career.

rich harrison makes great beats - he just needs to find some people who can actually sing over the top of them now.

maurice fulton is incredible... and yeah mms... I too have noticed the steady rise in the profile of slower, lusher house tracks. always great to hear that kind of stuff played in a club, cos you feel the crowd really lock into it and get a bit of swagger... something quite raunchy about it all I suppose. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

mms

sometimes
hint said:
maurice fulton is incredible... and yeah mms... I too have noticed the steady rise in the profile of slower, lusher house tracks. always great to hear that kind of stuff played in a club, cos you feel the crowd really lock into it and get a bit of swagger... something quite raunchy about it all I suppose. :rolleyes:

yep exactly, fuck the v jay, get the white strobes and smoke in..
people listen to r and b alot now in clubs and it's time to take it out a bit now..

really like that bugz track as well, ' booty la la', like basement jaxx but slinky and groovy without beeryness. hopefully that'll do well an all.