admitting you were wrong: music you used to like and now hate

• Thread starter simon silverdollar
  • Start date
S

simon silverdollar

inspired by Bill Drummond's backlash against bob dylan in yesterday's Guardian, which musicians have you had a change of heart (for the worse) about, and why?

for me, the number 1 case is Peaches: used to quite like her (kind of interesting to have a punk, crude take on electro like that), but suddenly, about 3 years ago, i just thought; no, this is the worse music ever, there's absolutely nothing good about it. it's so pathetically stylized and half hearted it makes me cringe- she now comes across weirdly like a french and saunders skit.

another would be gang gang dance, who i liked before someone i know used the phrase 'earth mother wails' to describe the singer's vocals, and then it was all over; now i just see them as hippy bores playing the kind of dribbly rubbish with vaguely 'mystical' leanings that's everywhere you go in the greenfields at glastonbury at 11 in the morning. if they didn't come from new york but rather, say, brighton, i think they wouldn't be half as trendy.

also, there's a few musics that i now like but could see myself having a backlash against in the future; ariel pink (is it all surface and no substance?), say, or lindstrom-esque disco (bit coffee table ish innit?), but for now we're doing just fine.

zhao

there are no accidents
i made a "change of heart" thread a while back but it's now lost... whatever.

peaches - at least catchy and fun. and the poppified digi-hardcore beats actually sound decent. i would not put it on but when i hear a song or 2 from the first album out i don't leave the room.

ganggangdance - but they are onto some good ideas, and sometimes these ideas actually kind of work. i respect them for trying new things - melding psych-folk with electronics and new beats. and i still like their first album a lot.

ride -- come now. Nowhere is just as collosal as when it came out.

used to hate devendra banhardt but now i think it's enjoyable and even good sometimes.

used to like beck when first album came out but now he sounds retarded and annoying.

That's so weird to me, to like and dislike music for a conscious reason rather than just KNOWING it's good or bad because of how it makes you feel.

No disrespect but it kind of implies you were judging it on the marketing/presentation and not the music, and then you got round to listening properly... :slanted:

Sometimes I change my mind the other way, it takes a while to get into something and then i start liking it, sometimes I dislike things because of how they are presented to me but after hearing them I like them, sometimes I have even tried not to like things because others say they are not cool, but in the end, you know what you like and it doesn't change that much, does it?

Oh.... sometimes you can go off things when you discover they are just copies of other superior things that you were unaware of, as people have mentioned in the radiohead thread.... like thinking oasis make a nice song and then someone playing you a beatles record and it dawns on you....

People in the music biz used to talk about "fixing it in the mix" - fixing a poor performance using studio techniques to make the record sound good.
Later they started talking about "fixing it in the mastering" - getting the mastering engineer to save a poorly produced recording.
Now they talk about "fixing it in the marketing"- using advertising and a cool video to make money from music everyone involved in making it knows is piss poor from the bottom up.

S

simon silverdollar

No disrespect but it kind of implies you were judging it on the marketing/presentation and not the music, and then you got round to listening properly...
perhaps, and it might not be a coincidence that those two, Peaches and Gang Gang Dance, were extremely hyped. but i think also it's just a matter of your focus shifting as you listen to music again and again: the elements which were initially interesting get taken for granted, and you start to notice other, less attractive, things about it.

also it's probably just about getting changing as you get older.

Yeah, I am knocking on a bit, trying to think what music I used to really like and now dislike a lot.

The ones that spring to mind are Consolidated whose vocals I find completely unlistenable, same with Meat Beat Manifesto, the only tunes I still like are the instrumentals.

I guess I said what I said because the music you mentioned seems kind of obviously hyped-up and flimsy to me, but diffrent strokes innit. :)

STN

sou'wester
The ones that spring to mind are Consolidated whose vocals I find completely unlistenable, same with Meat Beat Manifesto, the only tunes I still like are the instrumentals.

Did they do 'Business of Punishment'? The big one for me is Nick Drake. i cannot bear him now. I just snapped one day while listening to Pink Moon.

zhao

there are no accidents
well i didn't get jazz at all up until about 4 years ago, when i was 28. and now I'm a total obsessive.

S

simon silverdollar

yeah me too re. Nick Drake: i think it happened when listening to that posh-boy-blues song about 'smoking too long'. i snapped and haven't been able to listen to him since. i think his music suffers by association though; there's so many idiots whining away with acoustic guitars now that it's difficult to hear his music without it being sullied somehow.

martin

----
All the Fall stuff between 1978 and 1985, you couldn't pay me to listen to "Grotesque" or "Hex Enduction Hour" now. I can remember listening to the former when we lived in this dosshole above an insurance shop in Camberwell in 1995, and thinking 'C n C S'mithering' and 'The NWRA' were great; now they just sound like some neurotic whiner banging on over weedy non-riffs, and remind me of long cold winter afternoons watching dreary 1940s UK black and white films while the electricity meter dropped below £1.00. However I still like "The Infotainment Scan" from 1993.

Woebot

That's so weird to me, to like and dislike music for a conscious reason rather than just KNOWING it's good or bad because of how it makes you feel.

No disrespect but it kind of implies you were judging it on the marketing/presentation and not the music, and then you got round to listening properly... :slanted:

Edward, oh please! :rolleyes:

Music works within a whole load of contexts and those contexts shift.

I'm constantly revising my opinion about stuff. Constantly being proved wrong about stuff.

Having said that I'm still waiting for my Dubstep epiphany (it'd be sooooo much easier to just like it) and it never seems to happen....

RobJC

Check your weapon
Pop Will Eat Itself (PWEI) sounded like visionaries to an impressionable teenager, especially linked with the Designers Republic branding, but now it seems impossibly trite and amateurish its almost unlistenable. Probably a bit like Kasabian will in 10 years time.

Grievous Angel

Beast of Burden
I pretty much still like stuff now as much as I used to. I mean all the stuff I really liked when I was 13 - the clash, cabaret voltaire, jimi hendrix, miles davis, killing joke - I still really like.

Hex Enduction Hour is still fantastic! The Classical for example is absolutely mental.

Matt, I thought you'd already had your dubstep epiphany, with that post where you talked about how much you liked DMZ stuff. I mean, if you're going to like ANY dubstep, you might as well go for Mala and the best bits of Coki.

Woebot

Matt, I thought you'd already had your dubstep epiphany, with that post where you talked about how much you liked DMZ stuff. I mean, if you're going to like ANY dubstep, you might as well go for Mala and the best bits of Coki.

Well if that means i qualify I'm delighted!

shudder

Used to love... Sigur Ros... now, I couldn't listen to them. Perhaps it was that tom cruise preening vehicle that finally turned me off. The whole thing is just too disney?

As for Gang gang dance, I'll definitely defend them, despite the earth mother bizness. I used to worry about that aspect of them when I first heard them (I have pretty low hippy tolerance), but somehow it doesn't bother me anymore. I guess there's so much else going on, lots of interesting rhythmic and sonic stuff.

bnek

T

Sometimes I change my mind the other way, it takes a while to get into something and then i start liking it

its not always the case, but i find if i like something right away, ill probably get sick of it pretty quickly and wonder what i liked about it in the first place. most of my favorite music ive been a little unsure about at first (sometimes not enjoying it at all) but there is something that draws you back to it and eventually it clicks...

also, dont your tastes settle a bit as you get older? im 22, and not at all interested in what i was listening to only a few years back, but i dont see my tastes changing dramatically from now on... has anybody got to say, 30, and realized they were listening to shit music for the last 10 years?

zhao

there are no accidents
absolutely second Sigur Ros. liked them before and when they first came out. now anything by them makes my stomach upset.

what about things you used to hate but now love????? let's have some of that stuff...

leamas

Skream. At first I liked the catchiness of MRL etc. Now it just bugs me when someone plays it.

Hot Chip. Maybe I never really liked them but thought they were clever all the same. Now in context they just sound cheap.