lilly allen says awesome thing on telly shock

mms

sometimes
some new bands programme was just on and in the judging panel was lilly allen and jo wiley. bit of a slanging match started up over some dreary indie guitar band and wiley said ' what does she know' of allen, and then allen said something like 'certain people's shows who just play dreary but popular rock music that does nothing but ruin music ' aimed at jo wiley. it was class.

gek-opel

entered apprentice
Mwahhahahah...

I've never really had any problem with what la Allen SAYS, merely her music, which is bland enough in itself to be inoffensive. However, if her success has in any sense led to the public acceptability of stuff like Kate Nash (who it goes without saying is beyond execrable especially her grotesque twee-mockney-breathy bollocks stage school vocals, grating as fuck or what?) then that is truly rather unfortunate.

mms

sometimes
Mwahhahahah...

I've never really had any problem with what la Allen SAYS, merely her music, which is bland enough in itself to be inoffensive. However, if her success has in any sense led to the public acceptability of stuff like Kate Nash (who it goes without saying is beyond execrable especially her grotesque twee-mockney-breathy bollocks stage school vocals, grating as fuck or what?) then that is truly rather unfortunate.
i don't mind lilly allen i'm glad she exists, although she's clearly mockney, and i'm pleased that some of her songs are actually old-fashioned tuneful, not just catchy. i think this is one thing she has bought from ska, that whole rich thought-out melody from song to chorus thing, that you don't hear so much anymore.
Yes kate nash is dreadful, she is also bloody good looking though imo.

mms

sometimes
The horrifying mocktweeness of it all erodes that appeal, sad to say...

haha yes.

one thing that lily allen and amy winehouse have done is to bring back a bloody big tune though, and i think that's a good thing, my mum used to complain about the tunelessness of modern pop and in a way she was right, when you compare it to the 60's and 70's, music is sparse and catchy in an unenvolving way quite often now

lissajou

i had never heard of kate nash prior to opening this thread,
however, now that i have watched one of her videos on the internet,
two things become very clear to me:

1. it is cute when she eats lemons.

2. you have more interesting tv dinners in the united kingdom
than we do in the united states.

CONCLUSION: i like her better than i do spaceape.

Sick Boy

All about pride and egos
i had never heard of kate nash prior to opening this thread,
however, now that i have watched one of her videos on the internet,
two things become very clear to me:

1. it is cute when she eats lemons.

2. you have more interesting tv dinners in the united kingdom
than we do in the united states.

CONCLUSION: i like her better than i do spaceape.

hahaha

Also props to whoever said Kate Nash has "stage school vocals". Brilliant.

spotrusha

i don't love kate nash, lily allen, lady sovereign, etc etc nor do i dislike them
i think it's funny to see you guys complain about these artists like they're the worst thing to ever happen to music. have you ever heard american pop music?! at least these artists have something interesting going on.

gek-opel

entered apprentice
Kate Nash has something interesting going on in the same way as a parasitic wasp: she's unbelievably irritating, contrived (to no effective end) cutesy, schticky and ineffably lame all in one parochial little package. PASS

Edit: And can I add kooky-pukey to that.

Last edited:

elgato

I just dont know
anyone see K-Punk's utter assassination of Kate Nash in the latest FACT?

superb, and hilarious

swears

preppy-kei
Hey, c'mon guys. Lily Allen and Kate Nash may not be your cup of tea, but lots of people think they are good,so they must be doing something right, eh? It's a matter of opinion, isn't it? Although I think it was a bit cheeky of Lily Allen to say bad things about that band (whoever they were) because Jo Wiley has been playing bands for ages on the radio, so she's obviously a bit of an expert when it comes to music. I suppose Lily's entitled to her opinion, tho.

Yeah, no more saying you don't like things!
Only go along with what's popular!

Jo Wiley obviously knows more about music than any of us because she plays CDs on the radio.

huh????

martin

----
Jo Wiley has been playing bands for ages on the radio, so she's obviously a bit of an expert when it comes to music

Funnily enough, when her and Steve Lamacq's 7pm weekday show was at its peak, John Peel's used to come on straight after at 8.30pm. I'm not saying that the BBC shifted the old guy's slot to the graveyard shift because he was constantly showing up their 'indie electicism' as a pile of playlist-driven bilge, but, you never know....

Wiley doesn't seem to have any emotive facial expression beyond default spinster aunt going 'ahh!' at nephew's attempt to build a sandcastle. I think if she interviewed you and you said you believed that Arabs were descended from snakes, she wouldn't even break expression. Even Mark E Smith couldn't elasticate her rictus grin.

Last edited:

STN

sou'wester
My dad bought me Steve Lamacq's autobiography one Christmas. I was baffled, but touched.

The following year he bought me William 'Lord Haw Haw' Joyce's biography so he obviously thinks I've got pretty abysmal taste in broadcasters.

martin

----
My dad bought me Steve Lamacq's autobiography one Christmas. I was baffled, but touched.

The following year he bought me William 'Lord Haw Haw' Joyce's biography so he obviously thinks I've got pretty abysmal taste in broadcasters.

I'd happily read the Joyce one, but Lamacq? What he's got to say for himself? Is it potentially 'so cringeworthy it's worth a punt' material?

STN

sou'wester
No, it's just 'weren't blur great? I was just dying for a pint of cider when funnily enough Fruitbat from Carter USM... stagedive... roadies... Colchester University' it's only good for bands you'd completely bloody forgotten about and want to have a giggle at. The Joyce one does look very interesting and for the past 3 years I've been meaning to have a year devoted to weighty, parent-bestowed biographies (Papa STN also gave me a 900 page Che Guevara one so Lamacq is the odd one out in terms of gravitas I s'pose) but have been too lily-livered to tackle any whatsoever. You're welcome to borrow the Joyce one as I'm unlikely to get round to it any time soon.

mos dan

fact music
anyone see K-Punk's utter assassination of Kate Nash in the latest FACT?

superb, and hilarious

shouldn't he be picking on someone his own size? also someone who's yknow, less of an easy target. sounds a bit pathetic imo. although a link would clear up the matter if it's online..?

i think there are far worse individuals in modern pop music than lily allen and kate nash, people (mostly whining men) need to get over themselves.

**PS can we please start spelling jo wHiley's surname right? i don't want to get her confused with the godfather of grime if i can possibly help it.

STN

sou'wester
Ha! I just compared Steve Lamacq to a pedlar of vile fascist propaganda! If that's not an overreaction, I don't know what is.