Ozo -- anybody know anything about?

dominic

Beast of Burden
well, it's weird b/c some of ozo's 70s releases were on DJM -- who's biggest act was Elton John, but which also had on the roster Johnny Guitar Watson and Billy Frazier's "billy who," the latter of which is like the best down-tempo disco song ever

Sphinx and Mother Afrika appear to have been their own imprints, and then circa 1990 they have the Riot label, on which they are again the only act, now doing house plus reissues of the 70s material

my guess is that they're a black American band with some connection to jamaica or africa

but they might just as easily be a black british band???

the music, in any case, is top notch -- somewhere in the space between slow disco, reggae and soul -- w/ a female vocalist

dominic

Beast of Burden
errr, i'm listening to the record right now, the singer could just as easily be a white hippy freak -- it's one of those voices!!! can't quite place it or make sense of it . . . . think it's a white guy in falsetto???

dominic

Beast of Burden
okay -- it's a multiracial collective -- a white male singer and female black singer -- on the mid-70s cosmic soul buddhist reggae tip

dominic

Beast of Burden
i'm a luddite of sorts, such that i have a computer with internet connection, on one side, and my turntables and speakers on the other side, and the twain never mix.

dominic

Beast of Burden
but one day i will get around to attaching a recording device to my humble system, and i'll send you a cd. seriously. within a 6-month to 1-year window