Milk

Woebot

for about 5 years i've been drinking that soya stuff as a substitute. i liked it but increasingly found it over-sweetened and leaching (dentists say it fucks up your teeth).

just recently tried milk again (was fixated on the idea that somehow i was intolerant of it?) and have fallen in love with the stuff. feel so great on all the calcium and magnesium and my daughter now enjoying it too.

seems nowadays one sees a whole lot less milk in the supermarket. more and more faddishness?

there's also a whole political aspect isn't there? how the farmers are being fucked over by the supermarkets...

Kate Mossad

Apparently in the distant past all humans were actually lactose intolerant. When, how and why this came to change I don't know. It seems strange seeing as we're mammals ourselves.

zhao

there are no accidents
and in the future:

1166339195_0.png

Last edited:

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
That image took a while to appear on my screen - for a moment I thought someone'd spiked zhao's cuppa with the white stuff! :D

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Apparently in the distant past all humans were actually lactose intolerant. When, how and why this came to change I don't know. It seems strange seeing as we're mammals ourselves.

Of course babies aren't lactose intolerant (well, maybe a few very unlucky ones are, I don't know) but other mammals stop drinking milk after infancy, don't they?
Humans started to domesticate animals in the Middle East in the mesolithic, which has given those ethnic groups that kept dairy animals a hell of a long time to evolve the tendency to retain milk-digesting enzymes into adulthood. See also alcohol tolerance in Europeans vs. Orientals due to the practice of brewing beer vs. brewing tea to sterilise drinking water.

matt b

Indexing all opinion
i drink some milk (probably 1/2 a pint a week)- in tea/coffee, mainly because soya milk= taste of flour and water and i feel bad about the treatment of dairy cows (male calves being killed, forced repeated pregnancies etc etc). yes, i am a hypocrite.

it seems that milk is the most common cause of food allergy:

"At least 50% of all children in the United States are allergic to cow's milk, many undiagnosed. Dairy products are the leading cause of food allergy, often revealed by diarrhea, constipation, and fatigue. Many cases of asthma and sinus infections are reported to be relieved and even eliminated by cutting out dairy."

Natural Health, July, 1994, Nathaniel Mead, MD

http://www.notmilk.com/

Last edited:

zhao

there are no accidents
Humans started to domesticate animals in the Middle East in the mesolithic, which has given those ethnic groups that kept dairy animals a hell of a long time to evolve the tendency to retain milk-digesting enzymes into adulthood. See also alcohol tolerance in Europeans vs. Orientals due to the practice of brewing beer vs. brewing tea to sterilise drinking water.

says who? you and your crack-pot new-age guru? ;)

noel emits

a wonderful wooden reason
mainly because soya milk= taste of flour and water
That's just not true any more. Most brands taste really good now, especially the sweetened stuff - which is usually sweetened with apple juice, not refined sugar. Added calcium is also pretty standard.

matt b

Indexing all opinion
i really don't like the sweetened stuff, or maybe i'm just making excuses (cheese, anyone?)

noel emits

Cow's milk tastes wrong to me now. And I'm extra aware that it's come out of a cow's tits.

It's addictive though isn't it? Some kind of opiate or something to make the little baby cows feel all nice and safe.

Last edited:

Numbers

My mum being a hardcore (macrobiologist) believer of the milk-mucus theory always told me never to drink milk and thought my colds were due to the intake of dairy products. Now, I found some articles referring this hypothesis to the trashbin. Is there anyone with some medical background who cares to elaborate?

Woebot

i just *knew* dissensus would be chockablocka soya heads.

i'll bet all those pushing the milk as a drug/sop theory enjoy cheese and yoghurt. even butter. ya hypocrites ;)

(defensively) what's wrong with our ancestors figuring out that it was good for their health using animals milk? its a symbiotic relationship anyway isn't it? an inter-species pact. ok veal is harder to justify....

(always embarrassed to admit) i'm drinking organic, so they're looking after the beasts.

IdleRich

IdleRich
Not many animals except humans drink the milk of other species but it does happen every now and again.
Can't use youtube at work but I'm guessing this is an example

Story about the phenomenon here from, er, Metro

http://www.metro.co.uk/weird/article.html?in_article_id=69482&in_page_id=2

"Honey - the golden retriever - had not given birth in 18 months, but after her owner, Jimmy Martin, brought home the kitten, she suddenly found herself playing the role of mother.
'She started licking her and loving her. Within a couple of days, Honey started naturally lactating,' said Kathy Martin, Jimmy's wife. 'The kitten took right to her, and she started nursing her.'"

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
My mum being a hardcore (macrobiologist) believer of the milk-mucus theory always told me never to drink milk and thought my colds were due to the intake of dairy products. Now, I found some articles referring this hypothesis to the trashbin. Is there anyone with some medical background who cares to elaborate?

I'm not a milkologist but I suppose I consume quite a lot of the stuff - mostly in tea, but I often take a swig from the bottle when I'm making a cup, and I eat loads of cheese - and I'm pretty sure I'm no more 'mucusy' than the next person. The health benefits of a decent intake of protein, vitamin D and calcium are well established. I think the whole milk-is-bad concept is more or less vegan propaganda - a mate of mine told me about some Garbage Pail Kids stickers (remember them?) that featured kids dripping with snot or farting horrifically due to drinking milk, and they'd actually been put out by PETA. :rolleyes:

zhao

there are no accidents
i've just discovered recently that milk makes me fart a lot. don't know if i've become lactose intolerant in my old age or if the milk in germany is different from milk in the states.

i stick to soy milk. the sweetened kind.

stelfox

Beast of Burden
don't drink much milk - maybe a couple of pints in what is, to me, a big milk-drinking week. i do, however, eat around about a pound of cheese a week and quite a lot of thick cream. i know it's bad for you, but i like it. i'm willing to get colds for the limitless joy of eating mature cheddar, stilton, camenbert, tallegio, and gorgonzola whenever i like. soya milk is horrible stuff. soya cheese doesn't even bear thinking about. i was served it once by a vegan friend. it's so bad that if anyone ever gives it to me again, i think i might punch them in the face. i don't know if this is true, but doesn't the whole of japan have a massive aversion to milk?

Last edited:

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Stelfox, no food is inherently 'bad for for', in and of itself. People say things like "fat is bad for you" because in this country many people eat more of it than is healthy given the amount of exercise they (don't) do. Providing you're getting enough protein, vitamins, minerals and fibre you can eat as many calories as you like as long as you burn them off. In winter this can be as easy as turning the central heating off or down a couple of notches.

Last edited:

noel emits

i really like cheese but i know it has a bad effect on me, that's partly why i started avoiding dairy products in general. now i do prefer the taste of soya milk to le jus des vache.

zhao

there are no accidents
asians tend to find the idea of cheese - curdled milk - repulsive. my dad used to remove himself from the house every time, which is like once a year, we ordered a pizza.

i think some of the aversion to vegan food is due to lack of exposure to quality stuff.

stelfox, there are some very, very tasty vegan even raw food restaurants in Cali i could take you to that i'll throw down cash in betting that you would enjoy, maybe even love.