virtues of dj vs. producing

zhao

there are no accidents
have always thought that my true calling is making, rather than spinning. and that djing is a step on the road toward a debut album... but now i'm not so sure.

one always (at least i do) encounter this attitude that djs are somehow less than producers ("are you JUST a dj or do you also make tracks?"). not to mention so many people out there who STILL don't really get what is the big deal with djs - like, anybody can put on a bloody record --- to them i ask if they think museum and gallery curators work hard at what they do, if it takes talent and dedication, and if they deserve respect and to get paid.

making music involves total immersion in more or less one style for long stretches of time, and living and breathing that one thing day in and day out. with all your time spent tweaking the sound and making it perfect. there are only so many hours in the day and this would mean the exclusion of the hundreds and thousands of musical flavors i'm thoroughly interested in. kind of like putting on blinders and going into tunnel vision mode.

i've discovered that what i personally am really into is literally EVERYTHING. and combining them in new and interesting ways.
so finally, i think, i've come to the conclusion that, at least for now, I'm much more interested in djing than making original music.

and in a world where there is sooooo much amazing music already, and new music constantly being released from a million places, that the role of the ambassador, the conduit, the selector, is arguably just as, perhaps in some cases even more, important than the producer.

i think fundamentally, annoying big name djs aside, djing is a more selfless act of love, appreciation, and most importantly: giving. whereas the role of the producer is more to do with a self-important, ego-centric, perhaps solipsistic ivory tower mentality.

this is all very subjective i supose... thanks for listening to my self absorbed prattle...

Last edited:

sing_minimal

i personally am really into is literally EVERYTHING

good for you if you get to play infront of the crowd that digs that.

i try to do this too, but people aren't too into it..usually they want something to dance to, but they don't realize that the idea behind most music is to make people dance..they just need something they're used to i guess. tho there are always exceptions who're very much interested in what you play..i wish i could play for crowds who don't like predictable music.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
My brother and I made a tape of 'music' when we were aged 14 and 17 respectively. We did it to take the piss out of electronic/dance music in general, which we both hated at the time. In retrospect it's quite interesting; neither of us had the least bit of knowledge of how to make music, and we made it on a Pentium 100 using the Windows 95 sound recorder app, and nothing else. It sort of sounds a bit like what Throbbing Gristle might have sounded like had they been brain-damaged infants. :D I may get round to digitising one or two of the tracks and posting them up on here one day. (I may in fact wait until this post is long forgotten and then claim to have 'discovered' this incredibly cutting-edge-at-the-time dada-ist proto-industrial noise-collage recorded in 1963 - of course I'll have to choose one of the tracks that doesn't rely too heavily on computer game samples...)

swears

preppy-kei
mr tea:

Me and a schoolfriend used to make tunes on Windows 95 sound recorder! It was semi serious, though. We took notes, chords and drum hits off other records and spent hours cutting and pasting them into finished tracks. Some of them were quite good. We used to do everything at 120 bpm, 'cause it was easier to work out how long a bar or beat would be (one bar every two seconds) and then we could speed up or slow down the whole track afterwards. You could get some really interesting effects by having/doubling the speed or using the crappy "echo" effect. We would have been about 13 at the time and my mates hard drive was so small we had to delete the componentl wave files after we finished the tune because they took up too much space. Don't think he has any of them now though, unfortunately. They sounded like the first Daft Punk album meets Sega megadrive soundtracks meets industrial all played down the phone.

Good times!

swears

preppy-kei
"there are only so many hours in the day and this would mean the exclusion of the hundreds and thousands of musical flavors i'm thoroughly interested in. kind of like putting on blinders and going into tunnel vision mode."

I think this can be a positive thing though: narrowing down your sound into the elements that you consider important in the same way you'd select the most essential tracks for your dj sets. Trimming the fat to get to all those meaty ideas! ;)

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
mr tea:

Me and a schoolfriend used to make tunes on Windows 95 sound recorder! ....

Good times!

And a damn fine piece of software it is. Cubase schmoobase!

There's one track in particular that stands out as really interesting, I can't take credit for it as my brother did it by himself. It's just him saying the word 'spleen' (which he was obsessed with at the time, don't ask) sped up, slowed down, echoed, looped etc. (well, that's more or the less all four things you can do with Sound Recorder) and generally buggered about with using combinations of these effects to make a track that is technically a capella. And very disturbing-sounding it is, too.

The other sounds we used included things such as an old Casio keyboard, one of those toy electronic drumkits with four pads, a bass guitar, lots of vocals (screaming, 'raps', belching etc.), feedback made by sticking the mic inside the computer's bass speaker, samples from this crappy 'new age' hippy bollocks dance CD our parents owned, in-game sounds from Doom, Quake, Command & Conquer etc., the sound of doors opening and closing...we were pretty resourceful, actually.

swears

preppy-kei
I loved it when you slowed stuff down loads and the low bit rate would make everything sound like a dying robot or something, lol.

One trick was to slow the wave down add echo, add then pitch it up again to get really weird metallic ringing effects.

zhao

there are no accidents
good for you if you get to play infront of the crowd that digs that.

i try to do this too, but people aren't too into it..usually they want something to dance to, but they don't realize that the idea behind most music is to make people dance..they just need something they're used to i guess. tho there are always exceptions who're very much interested in what you play..i wish i could play for crowds who don't like predictable music.

well when i said i'm interested in everything i mean both my personal investigation into literally nearly every kind of music you can think of, as well as my sets - which are diverse, but not THAT diverse.

will be starting a new series of parties, called NGOMA (swahili for drum/dance), with my new dj partner Latif from Mozambique -- Afro-Asian SoundSystem -- and it will be primarily focusing on the Afro-Arabic-Caribean connection. styles will include: ARABIAN-POP AFR0-HIPHOP CUMBIA KWAITO RAI ZULU-HOUSE BHANGRA and REGGAE.

it's great that in Berlin there is much more of an audience for this sort of thing than back in Los Angeles... people really are passionate about different cultures here.

sing_minimal

i was listening to interview with clare cooper yesterday. she spoke real highly of berlin scene..people are totally open towards all sorts of stuff..and lots of friends are saying there's an awesome thing going on there..it usaed to be like that back in the 70's and 80's already but now it seems it's open for literally anything.

and i hope to hear some of those sets you'll play with your friends, sounds well interesting!

zhao

there are no accidents
where was the clare interview? i haven't seen her around lately... holed up in the recording studio with her GuZhen i suppose :)

i really admire people who play instruments... clare is a great improviser and her hubby Clayton is wicked on the bass. but i don't like the subtle and sometimes not so subtle lack of respect for djing! :mad: (not necessarily them 2)

sing_minimal

it was here in ljubljana (slovenia) before her gig last night..together with o.blaat. i missed it :) and for a stupid reason too.

zhao

there are no accidents
it was here in ljubljana

oh wow i didn't you were there! i love that place!

so there was some kind of improv festival or just a one off concert? I saw some great gypsy jazz when i was there... at that hippie commune place. the one with the fucked up sculptures in the front. what was it called...

tonight is Raster Yeston label night :D and i will not miss it despite 2 hours sleep last night and a slight cold. you know why? because I'm a Tru Soulja Dedicated to tha Game.

Last edited:

sing_minimal

oh wow i didn't you were there! i love that place!

so there was some kind of improv festival or just a one off concert? I saw some great gypsy jazz when i was there... at that hippie commune place. the one with the fucked up sculptures in the front. what was it called...

tonight is Raster Yeston label night :D and i will not miss it despite 2 hours sleep last night and a slight cold. you know why? because I'm a Tru Soulja Dedicated to tha Game.

hah yeah..it's one of those places you may like when travelling through, but you get bored of when you live there.

not sure about that hippie place..you probably mean metelkova city, but then there are lots of clubs within this whole place..main ones are gala hala, menza pri koritu, gromka, channel zero

as for clare's gig..it was a part of a http://www.cityofwomen.org festival. she played at some less hippie place though : )

also, i don't know raster yeston thing..i know raster noton though which i like quite a bit : )

Last edited:

zhao

there are no accidents
metelkova

yes that's it. will let you know next time i go there. and there will be a next time.

i doubt i would get bored there what with all the perfect 10s walking up and down the street like it's a cat-walk making googly eyes... :rolleyes: