updated hawaii-guitar music: does it exist?

Ness Rowlah

Norwegian Wood
I am going to tap into the pool here with a strange request:
does anyone know of someone doing a deep/slow update of hawaii-guitar,
possibly treated with electronics and some deep bass/synth thing going.

Sort of a rolling waves thing. Eno has this one track (I think it's "deep blue day")
which is similar to what I am looking for. Something really "wavey" and "coastal".
Molvaer is from the coast and might be able to create the mood
(to me Molvaer is not "arctic" and "cool", although often easily labeled so).
Ry Cooder or Chris Isaac's guitarist might have been able to do the sound I think I am looking for.

What I am looking for is someone doing some update on Hawaii-music -
not in a cheesy way or "new agey" lazy way - but some "deep shit".

I haven't heard BJ Cole's own stuff - he might have done something like this?
(BJ is an English steel guitar player -played on loads of albums (so you have probably heard him
without knowing so): Beck, Björk, Marc Bolan, The Orb,
Jerry Lee Lewis, Freddy Fender, Paul Young, Alan Parson and David Sylvian - that is what I call versatility).

Or someone from Hawaii might have picked up the plectrum and sampler?

Last edited:

AshRa

Check out Kenji Jammer - I think Honest Jons are importing the albums...

Might be a bit too cheezey for you but it's worth a go!

owen

interesting question.

there is 'ananas symphonie' off kraftwerk's 'ralf and florian' lp....13 mins of twangy polynesian-teutonic beauty. there's waves on it too
lots of stuff like the description on the klf's 'chill out' too....though of course this stuff is better when you're not being winked at

nomos

Administrator
Hmm. This sounds like the perfect segue into a blog post I'd been thinking of. Let me get back to you in a couple of hours. ;)

carlos

manos de piedra
maybe not exactly what you're looking for...

but 've got a bunch of these old 70s hawaiian folk LPs i bought for about 25 cents each- some of them produced by Ry Cooder- this one from 1975 has been reissued on cd:

The Gabby Pahinui Hawaiian Band
http://www.booklineshawaii.com/MUSIC/mvh/10072.html

some super-mellow acoustic stuff with vocals. the guys look like huge hawaiian gangstas but play the smoothest/mellowest stoned folk you could hope to hear. no synths but defintely some spaced out production touches that might be something you might dig

pipikakahoofd

not sure if its exactly what youre looking for but

saicobab - mahalo field

ultra-spacey and utterly great tune from psychobaba offshoot. basically i think its yoshimi (of boredoms) and one of the psychobaba members going crazy with multi-trackers. ends up producing something not unlike a hawaiian raga.

its avaliable on the "anima mundi" compilation (which has a number of other boredoms-related tracks).

nochexxx

harco pronting
bump!

nothing sweeter than the resonant twang of Hawaiian lap steel guitar music. can anyone recommend me some records. i'm after the traditional instrumental variety though.
hope you don't mind me hijacking the original thread by also including historical stuff as well.

zhao

there are no accidents
bump!

nothing sweeter than the resonant twang of Hawaiian lap steel guitar music. can anyone recommend me some records. i'm after the traditional instrumental variety though.
hope you don't mind me hijacking the original thread by also including historical stuff as well.

i used to have this and a few others from this series. used to play it on the way home from a day at the beach... bliss.

nomos

Administrator
Hmm. This sounds like the perfect segue into a blog post I'd been thinking of. Let me get back to you in a couple of hours. ;)
:slanted: sooo... i never did write that post. this is not at all trad but polmo poplo's 'like hearts swelling' album has unsettling hawaiin-like parts. it's always left me with the image of a tropical vacation gone not-quite-right: off-season chill, hazy sunsets, depressing shadows, lingering on the beach hoping to extract a bit more pleasure...

muser

I think I should mention keroncong on this thread as the ukelele has been getting alot of slack on this board and this is lovely crooning/washed out island music, with ukeleles playing a big part. Not alot of this style of keroncong on youtube though I think its pretty uncool in indonesia now. Worth grabbing some old comps though.

sorry totally unrelated to the bump really

Edit-

this is more relevant and also something I have been enjoying alot recently, super kitchy slide/steel guitar

aHR0cCUzQSUyRiUyRjQuYnAuYmxvZ3Nwb3QuY29tJTJGLXhmcWpGcVA4M3cwJTJGVG51bnJPZjI4X0klMkZBQUFBQUFBQUMtOCUyRlBxN0R6NTFGWmgwJTJGczQwMCUyRnNtZWNrLmpwZWclM0Z2ZXIlM0Qy

Last edited:

craner

Beast of Burden
I love Hawaiian guitars. I have a bunch of easy listening LPs dug out of charity shop bins around the turn of the century, and they're all gorgeous, even the Beatles covers. In fact, dopey Hawaiian guitar cover versions of popular 60s tunes have their own plastic charm. I love that Ralf & Florian track too, more than proper Kraftwerk metallics maybe. I also think that the KLF's Chill Out is the most beautiful, heart-swallowing piece of music I have ever heard. It sounds just like the modern world did once, and it also sounds like falling in love, a sensation I barely recall. I never noticed it winking at me, although it probably was.