Michael E. Veal’s Dub: Soundscapes and Shattered Songs in Jamaican Reggae

matt b

Indexing all opinion
cover00.jpg

have we had a proper thread on this yet? a search didn't bring owt up.

it's good

was contemplating compiling a mix of the stuff he discusses, but then i'm full of shite.

matt b

Indexing all opinion
it's very good. i did this thing about it a little while ago http://www.deeptime.net/blog/?p=173 (and i think a print review soon)

nice paul. i'd forgotten about your (...) point, so will shut up, but i have to say that the last two chapters seemed to be stretching the point(s) a little, esp considering the excellent work that had gone before (though judging by your blog comments i guess you'd disagree :) ).

nomos

Administrator
haha no don't shut up matt. you know, i had to read it very quickly, but since you mention it, the end did get thin when he was dealing with digidub and very briefly jungle, basic channel, etc. i did like the dub-theory link though.

matt b

Indexing all opinion
paul, i've done a mix of the king tubby's stuff discussed in detail in chapter 4 (e.g. those songs that are in the 'king tubby in the mix' sub-section(s))

track list is as follows:

1. ken boothe- 'silver words' (p118)
2. king tubby- 'silver bullet'

3. johnny clarke- 'enter his gates with praise' (p119)
4. king tubby- 'this is the hardest version'*
5. dennis brown- 'live after you'
6. king tubby- 'dubbing with the observer'

7. tommy mccook- 'death trap' (p120)
8. king tubby- 'living style'

9. jackie mittoo- 'sniper' (p120)
10. king tubby- 'dub fi gwan'

11. vivian jackson and the prophets- 'fire fire' (p121)
12. king tubby- 'fire fire dub'

13. jacob miller- 'baby i love you so' (p122)
14. king tubby- 'king tubby meets the rockers uptown'

enjoy!

*my copy only has 'enter his gates dub' as info, so this may not be the tubby's version- possibly philip smart's? others may be able to provide accurate info.

nomos

Administrator
how wicked is that! thanks so much matt :D this will be on rotation in about 5 minutes.