Gang Gang Dance - God's Money

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
I haven't been impressed like this by a nominally 'rock' album for ages. In fact, were I to be in a band, this is the type of music I would want it to make.

Am loving the breadth of influence, the gorgeous swirls of sound, the drums, the resemblances to a 21st century Skidoo ('Gospel COmes to New Guinea'-era). I've seen 4AD bands mentioned as influences too, but I've never liked any of the bands on their roster quite as much as this (with the possible excpetion of the Cocteaus).

To me, THIS is what the post-punk revival should have been like - individual bands pursuing their own furrows. Not so much bloody....angularity.

So, am I missing any other bands like this (my knowledge of rock's outer fringes is lamentably poor these days)?

Many props to whoever mentioned GGD on another thread and made me aware of their existence. :D

sing_minimal

they're fun, specially live. personally i prefer their earlier stuf and im a bit surprised their new album isn't out yet. liz said they'd put it out after their japanese tour a year and a half ago.

i'd recommend you excepter who are sort of in the same vein..maybe a bit more electronic at times.

gek-opel

entered apprentice
I personally found Excepter to be tragically disappointing- messy and ill-thought out, poorly produced. Especially when put alongside GGD.

I think the reason why they have yet to put out their next album is that they worked on it but weren't satisfied with the results (ie they wanted something very sharply sonically produced like Timbaland). They did just release a new EP though of some of the tracks they recorded. Its ok, but not really up to the stuff on "God's Money".

sing_minimal

i heard that ep and i agree it's not up with their other stuff. what have you heard by excepter? they were closer to what ggd are doing on their first couple of releases..this thing that cameout this year is pretty weird and all over the place as you say..i haven't given it much time..

gek-opel

entered apprentice
"Alternation" was the album I listened to. I found the lack of production/engineering chops combined with a concomitant lack of minimalist rawness/brutality meant it was stranded between two possible satisfying points, neither pristine as the dance music it extracts ideas from nor as fat and dirty as analogue stuff such as Pan Sonic and the like...

I was disappointed as lots of people with good taste appear to rate Excepter pretty highly.

sing_minimal

they are a bit more dadaist compared to ggd i guess : ) try out album 'ka', i think it's their best and may give you a bit more clue..

N

nomadologist

they're fun, specially live. personally i prefer their earlier stuf and im a bit surprised their new album isn't out yet. liz said they'd put it out after their japanese tour a year and a half ago.

i'd recommend you excepter who are sort of in the same vein..maybe a bit more electronic at times.

i have heard it and seen the DVD...i worked at a gallery when my friend had a show, and she had a bunch of her stuff up...it's pretty good, but i don't hear the "grime" influence all that much...lizzy is way into hip-hop actually

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Just heard the new GGD EP last night - it IS really unfocussed, isn't it? A little bizarre.

Will check out Exceptor's 'KA', thanks for the rec.

gek-opel

entered apprentice
Weirdly knowing that they were wanting a really well-produced Timbaland-esque sound for their new record, the EP sounds less like that than "God's Money" does. But that's the thing which makes them interesting is the way that they have tempered their very New York improv rock into something more focused, synthetic and pop-like. And obviously they are a direct continuation of post-punk ideals and practices (actually part post-punk part nu-pop almost).

N

nomadologist

i have no real problems with excepter...i think alternation is good, you just have to be in the mood for it. or i do anyway.

shudder

I like all that stuff! The percussion improv-like tracks I presume you mean?

yeah, me too. One of my favourite albums of the last few years for sure.

As for the new EP, unfocussed for sure, but there are some moments I really like. I like how the first few seconds almost sound like Reich-ian minimalism, then you get all these "middle eastern" pop strings in, etc. but yeah, the song itself not so much. The second track is I think my fave at the moment. I like the bass drop bit.

Algierstwin

House Jam is quite a grower. . . hot chip remix of it too which, although i havent listened too yet, is said to be even bettter.

not really liking that tinchy track though.