illbient?

swears

preppy-kei
Wasn't this a 90s alt-dance micro-scene? I remember reading about it yeeeeeaars ago in Jockey Slut or something.

muser

i remember seeing an interview with dj spooky saying he coined it but apparently it was officially dj olive so you can check out some of their stuff, i know dj olive's got stuff out on the agriculture which has a lot of good releases on it, not sure how much of it would be classed as illbient though but it seems to be a bit of a amiguous genre anyway as it was mainly used by the press.

Last edited:

sing_minimal

well, i pretty much have everything by spooky and lots by olive but it's not quite like it. there was some stuff spooky used to mix back in a day that sounded much like it..i thought someone might point me to a certain band or scene..

zhao

there are no accidents
yes there was tedius and pathetic but real beef concerning who coined the stupid term. dj spukey is a half-trick pony who fancies himself a unicorn.

but that's not what this thread is about... funny someone was just telling me about the Boosh a few hours ago.

noel emits

a wonderful wooden reason
Sounds like some of Luke Vibert's stuff.

Check the At Atmos EP, Throbbing Pouch or the Vibert + Simmonds LP on Rephlex perhaps.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Poxy Music

I think that's the name of an actual Roxy tribute band. :)

It struck me a while ago that 'acrid house' would be quite a good genre.
'Uneasy listening' is quite an obvious one, I guess.
'Ska-t', anyone?
'Rash metal'
'Squeamo'
'Spewey Lewis and the Poos'

...and anything by Urethra Franklin, Pelvis Presley and Bellenda Carlisle. :cool:

sing_minimal

wow, couple of nice tracks on that throbbing pouch. i never cared much for his wagon christ music but there are couple of nice tunes on this one..quite similar to that track i posted upthere. thank you!

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Is there ANYTHING quite as diseased-sounding as the Gristle's Hamburger Lady? I feel a bit queasy just thinking about it.

tate

Brown Sugar
One of my favorite lines from Jess Harvell's blog back in the the halcyon days of '04/05 went something like this:

"As far as bad ideas in the 1990s are concerned, illbient is up there with NAFTA and wearing your clothes backwards."

Which still makes me laugh.