ryoji ikeda

mms

sometimes
following on in a way from the thread about music for kids,
here is a piece of interactive music for all the family,
'matrix for rooms' on touch is basically 2 sine waves which when you play the cd fill a room, when you move around the room the sound changes noticably, its wicked fun for adults and kids, not sure how it's done.

ryoji ikeda also makes tracks that sound like pansonic but are far superior, and really fuck with your perceptions. http://www.brainwashed.com/ryoji/

i really like touch, been working one day in a record shop and been checking out chris watson's recordings of animals as well.

francesco

Minerva Estassi
mms said:
'matrix for rooms' on touch is basically 2 sine waves which when you play the cd fill a room, when you move around the room the sound changes noticably, its wicked fun for adults and kids, not sure how it's done.
For the very little i know of acustic, the wavefied emitted from the two speakers create a grid (or a matrix) by wavelenght adding one on another where in phase and subtracting one on another were in contraphase. That won't happen if only one speacker is active of if you place the speacker back to back so the wave fileds would not meet (imagine the wavefield like waves on water hit by a drop). I am not an expert i can be really wrong. A same effect is on one early LaMonte Young "Drift Studies".

"+/-"s a classic, one of the key records of the '90
"stepping into the dark" too

Brokeman

Living Too Late
+/- was a wonderful record. I liked 0 Degrees C alot too; nowhere near as austere, but a beautiful record in it's own right. I've got a bunch of Ikeda up when I'm on Soulseek if anyone wants to hear some.
username = jessebrokeman