why should i like stewart home?

nomos

Administrator
or more accurately, what makes him a good read and where's a good place to start? i'm always short of decent fiction. is his stuff all anarcho-squat pulp, outrageous sex and occult drug rituals? i've only got the assault on culture which i don't suppose is representative. i'd be keen on reading some of his neoist and pyschogeographic stuff, especially if it's in a vein closer to sinclair than ackroyd. are the london psychogeographic society pamphlets available anywhere, in print or online?

asking out of near ignorance. please enlighten. his books don't usually show up on shelves over here. obv. his website and wikipedia are good places to start but i know people here will have things to say.

john eden

male pale and stale
Non-fiction along the lines you mention:

Confusion Incorporated
Neoism, Plagiarism and Praxis

His "punk" analysis Cranked Up Really High is also great.

He edited Mind Invaders which is a collection of stuff which appeared in leaflet form by various groups like the LPA, Decadent Action, Luther Blissetts, the AAA etc.

john eden

male pale and stale
The fiction basically begins as Richard Allen pulp mania but gets more complex as time goes on. I think all of that is great, personally. If I remember rightly Blow Job combines anarcho skinheads and neoists.

Come Before Christ and Murder Love
is great paranoid occult stuff.

I also rate especially Down and Out in Shoreditch and Hoxton and Tainted Love, about his Mum's fucked up life in the 60s. These are probably closest to what you're after.

More literary people seem to prefer 69 Uses of a Dead Princess tho.

The LPA material is not really online anywhere. The LPA wasn't Stewart, either! This is the nearest to an official site: http://unpopular.org.uk/lpa/organisations/lpa.html

john eden

male pale and stale
i wonder where i got that that then.

A lot of people got them mixed up, not least because the LPA newsletter and Home's Re:Action were quite similar in format and content... and because Home is a shameless self-publicist and the LPA weren't ;)

Transpontine

history is made at night
is his stuff all anarcho-squat pulp, outrageous sex and occult drug rituals? .

Red London pretty much fits this description, set in Hackney with the occult bit being delivered by a fascistic cult called the Teutonic Order of Buddhist Youth (TOBY), a dig at another group of shaven headed Hackney dwellers with similar initials (TOPY).

martin

----
I'm a bit of an old skool fan - 'No Pity' was cool, until someone nicked my copy (which is now quite rare, apparently) . I gave up halfway through 'Come Before Christ...' and found the 'Hoxton' /'69 Things' books pretty dull. To be honest, my fave things he did were the Royalwatch columns and the general journalist pieces.

But surprised nobody's bigged up "Slow Death", which is probably second best after "Red London"

N

nomadologist

TOPY at least managed to cough up some great music...all things considered.