Jurassic 5 - Swing Set

tomd

penis like a micromachine
So the last song on Quality Control by Jurassic 5. Does anyone know anything about swing? Does anyone have any suggestions of music that sounds like this? I know nothing, my music collection has no 'swing', but this track really makes me want to dance every listen.

dHarry

I haven't heard this, but are you talking about big-band jazz swing from the 30s-60s? Duke Ellington, Count Basie, Benny Goodman, Glenn Miller, Artie Shaw are the greats, or start with any compilation containing the above. Or for some blazing big-band Latin-American magic, go for Machito, Tito Puentes, Xavier Cugat, Esquivel.

Last edited:

reeltoreel

I think the tracks that make up Swing Set are from the older, slightly rougher end of things if you'd like to find that sound in particular - but lots of big band jazz (particularly the stuff mentioned by dHarry, more or less the five must-do artists of the genre) hits the same nerve. Definitely go earlier for the raw and almost unhinged...

Woody Herman, Stan Kenton, Jay McShann and Tommy Dorsey are well worth checking.