Ecm

Woebot

we have a keith jarrett thread so.......

i only have a few bits

dave holland
julian priester
marion brown

(all very early)

and always have written off 99% of the output as slick crap

but

are there nice things beyond those records?

i heard a really nice eberhard weber record once....

henry s

Street Fighting Man
Jan Garbarek's stuff is nice (Paths Prints, Dis, etc.) but I find I can only listen to it on cold, wintry mornings...

Last edited:

noel emits

a wonderful wooden reason
Wolfgang Dauner's 'Output' from 1970 is supposed to be a pretty good LP. I haven't heard it but I've got a later one 'Changes' from 1978 which is kind of alright I suppose; wintery, slightly off-kilter lounge jazz with a heavy electronics presence. He plays a Synthi 100 on it but it's not doing anything remotely exciting. 'Output' shows up on sharity blogs a lot it seems, one for the ysi thread?

RobJC

Check your weapon
I have no idea what any of you are talking about - care to enlighten me on what musical style/period this relates to?

henry s

Street Fighting Man
ECM is like the 4AD of jazz labels...which is to say it is an imprint with a domineering figurehead (ECM: Manfred Eicher, 4AD: Ivo Watts-Russell), which employs an extremely consistent cover art aesthetic (ECM: Barbara Wojirsch, 4AD: Vaughn Oliver) that is as celebrated as the music itself (and, in fact, gives one the sense that the varied output of each label is more similar than it is) and is as much about lifestyle as it is about music (ECM: minimal, uncluttered ambience; 4AD: inscrutable neo-goth)...my two cents, in any event...

RobJC

Check your weapon
Thanks - its nice to hear a description from someone who as actually listened to it.
Having never listened to any Jazz other than Trad, am I missing something?

redcrescent

If you want to do some exploring, I'd recommend getting individual CDs from the Rerum series, of which there are 20 or so volumes, each devoted to a single artist. As each artist chooses the tracks and writes the liner notes, you get a very personal take on someone's work for the label. Typically stark graphics and minimalistic packaging, too.

Some individual ECM things I rate, off the top of my head
The Art Ensemble of Chicago LPs (Urban Bushmen, Full Force) are great
any Egberto Gismonti
Kenny Wheeler - Gnu High & Deer Wan
Charles Lloyd - Lift Every Voice
any Arvo Pärt (Te Deum, Tabula Rasa...) - ECM 'sound' well suited for classical bizniss IMHO, there is that Stravinsky complete orchestral works CD, Messiaen/Ravel/Fauré piano and some others which escape me at the moment
Benny Maupin - Jewel in the Lotus
Antheil/Nancarrow album (forget what it's called)
2 or three albums by the Paul Bley Quartet (with Surman/Frisell/Motian)
Anouar Brahem (oud player) has one or two great albums as well
too many to name really!

I'd also recommend getting the beautiful book Horizons Touched, a very well-done retrospective of ECM on the occasion of its 1000th (!) release. I don't own a copy myself -really should get it - but I remember the great photography and some really, really good texts on everything from folk/medieval music to post-Soviet composers.

STN

sou'wester
I rate that Art Ensemble of Chicago LP 'Nice Guys' even if it listening to it feels a bit like having the piss taken out of you by one of your siblings.

francesco

Minerva Estassi
The first 30 or so album by ECM are on various degree very good. In the first years this label was very experimental and open to the best extreme fringe of seventies jazz, both electrification and improv. After there are some good records, but most is pasteurized crap. Also some of this best early ecm records have not yet be reissued. Or have very recently, like the Priester record.

Matt try to find a copy of this:
ecm 1016 Terje Rypdal - same 1971
the one with the norwegian sea on the cover. forget later albums by Rypdal. this one sound like Miles Davis 'Jack Johnson' played by Ash Ra Tempel. One of my favorite album ever. And it rocks.

from the same sessions came this:
ecm 1015 Jan Garbarek Quintet - SART
not as good as the Rypdal lp, but same session same musicians, and best Garbarek album, so not bad at all.

then, in Toop Ocean of Sound territory:
ecm 1005 The Music Improvisation Company
a classic improv record, Baley, Parker, Muir.

then, in Nurse With Wound list classics territory:
1006 Wolfgang Dauner Trio - Output
totally freaked out ring modulator jazz.

the aforementioned Maupin record Jewel in the Lotus is a great companion to the Priester album, same personnel if i remember correctly, still not reissued.

Then actually there are a good number of lp from the "classic" ecmsound that are beautiful, a classic is Mountainscape (also one of the ecm most beautiful cover) by Barre Philips, with John Surman. It's the same trio of '60 Trio (the double white album on Dawn records that is one of thebest free jazz album of all time), but it's no free jazz at all, it is cameristica jazz with lot of European classical avantgarde overtones and an interesting (if dated) use of synthesisers.

ok

then, even if it's really saccharine and commercial, i love The Kolnh Concerts by Jarret.

Last edited:

Leo

ecm 1016 Terje Rypdal - same 1971
the one with the norwegian sea on the cover. forget later albums by Rypdal. this one sound like Miles Davis 'Jack Johnson' played by Ash Ra Tempel. One of my favorite album ever. And it rocks.

is the album called "same"? got a link to this that shows the cover? sounds interesting, would like to hunt it down. amazon has three pages of his stuff but didn't notice this one. thanks.

mms

sometimes
that first rypdal album is great everyone is talking the truth.
also tabula rasa - arvo part
power spot - jon hassell
but the love love record - julian priester is da best.

redcrescent

Bennie Maupin - The Jewel in the Lotus

s56228.jpg

Wolfgang Dauner - Output

images

Enjoy! Courtesy of the great curved air blog.

Last edited:

psherburne

I adore the Dino Saluzzi records. He plays bandeonon (similar to the accordion) and mixes up tango with jazz and chamber music, to put it in extremely reductive shorthand. His album <I>Senderos</i>, with percussionist John Christensen, is wonderfully rich and ramshackle improv with lots of ball-bearing skitter to it. And <I>Ojos Negros</i>, his last album, recorded with cellist Anja Lechner, is a far more melodic and subdued take on what can only be called "chamber tango." Just gorgeous.

Heard a bit of Anouar Brahem's "Astrakan Cafe" while interviewing Villalobos once and it sounded great, but I can't recall specifics. (I wrote this in the Wire piece, but both times I interviewed Villalobos in person, he had ECM discs on in the background, at almost subliminal levels.)

While some will probably consider it horribly middlebrow, Arvo Pärt has released some stunning, stunning choral music.

I know fuck-all about jazz, but I've really been enjoying Paul Bley's new solo piano album <I>Solo in Mondsee</i>.

Finally, there's lots of great classical fare; one of my longtime favorites is Paul Hindemith's <I>Sonatas for Viola/Piano and Viola Alone</i>, recorded by Robert Levin and Kim Kashkashian. Dissonant! Bracing!

psherburne

btw, nice thread, woebot! i've been trying to freshen up my ears with non-techno lately (i know, radical idea, coming from me) and it's nice to have a place to talk about it as well.