the record(s) you regret getting rid of

Ness Rowlah

Norwegian Wood
music you regret getting rid of

The one I really regret getting rid off is "Neu 2".
Bought it for £1.50 and sold it for £2 around 1979.

---

It was the thing to do:
small adverts were found in the music press at home, hand-written (or in some cases
typewritten) lists sent to each other using letters. Records going from one
person to another, as items were sold of the list they got stricken out (so you could
often see what you had missed out on). I thought nothing of selling "Neu 2" at the time,
just another record passing through (keeping all records was not an option, funding
was often done by selling parts of what you already had).

"Neu 2" is the only record I still regret getting rid of in that way. Don't have it now,
but wasn't there one track with a man rowing in a boat talking (and nothing much else)?

Last edited:

luka

dunno about records, or getting rid of for that matter but iv'e mislaid countless pirate tapes. classic kool fm tapes- one in particular with ragga twins and navigator together i regret not hanging on to
a couple of tapes with riko and wiley and geeneus on drum and bass from before grime existed
supreem team tapes and heartless tapes from 99ish
tapes with major ace on passion fm

i've still got most of my classic grime sets though. i hope to keep those.

Pearsall

Prodigal Son
I regret selling off lots of classic jungle/drum n' bass to the fucking M&VE for ridiculously low prices when I was broke when I was about 18. Plenty of the stuff I sold (early V, Metalheadz, Frontline, Ganja, etc.) fetches pretty hefty prices these days.

One thing that I regret not getting into buying when I was younger was all the early 90's breakbeat hardcore. I started buying records around the tail end of '95, and at that point you could still find mountains of the stuff in second-hand stores in London for super cheap prices. Now, of course, all those tunes are collectors' items, so I can't really justify buying much of it on vinyl.

Justified Ancients Of Mu Mu - 1987 (What The Fuck's Going On?) , bought brand new for £4.99 just before Abba slapped the injunction on it. Sold for a healthy profit about three years ago, but maybe I should've held out for more? It's not that I miss the music, it's was just a cool thing to show visitors.

My Universal Indicator 'Blue' and 'Red' Eps, sold far too cheaply when desperate for cash about six years ago.

Pet Shop Boys early 12inch collection, including the original Bobby O version of West End Girls (bought for 99p in a bargain bin out of curiousty shortly before they became famous), and the Suburbia 7inch double-pack. Foolish! I know they're all on CD now, but I miss 'em anyway.

Hoodlum Priest - Heart Of Darkness album. Only yesterday I was missing that record.

That 12inch of Taylor Dayne's "Tell It To My Heart" with the acappella on the flip. Still hope I'll find it again in a charity shop one day.

Some early React cassette comps that seem to have disappeared.

I could go on...but it's late and I really should hit the sack...

nite nite

nomos

Administrator
I'll probably miss a lot of things in the near future, as I've just set aside a hundred or so CDs to take down to the used shop.

Backjob

Nick Gutterbreakz said:
My Universal Indicator 'Blue' and 'Red' Eps, sold far too cheaply when desperate for cash about six years ago.

Hah! These are the aphex ones, right? I swapped my copies for two pills and a wrap of crystal back in early '95, about 6 months after I'd bought 'em.

Stupid, stupid, stupid.

I mean, I hated those records but could've got way more money for them a few years later.

What about stuff you lost?

I really really regret losing my copy of DJ DB - "Acid resistant" which was loads of amazing early Mike Ink et al minimal/micro acid tunes brilliantly mixed. It'd be great to hear it again in the light of modern microhouse, but I've never seen a copy for sale anywhere.

On the tapes front, it was actually my mate's tape, but it was somebody's Castlemorton live recording and was utterly brilliant. One tune in particular I remember going "this is the old style, this is the new style" before breakbeat frenzy erupted. The sound quality was shitty, but the snatches of fucked people's conversations in the background only added to the atmospherics of the whole thing.

Finally, some cunt nicked a box of my funk 7"s when I was drunk and djing in some shoreditch fashion-hole a couple of years ago. I'd seriously kill the fucker if I ever found out who it was.

Woebot

sold about 25 crates of stuff in 1996 but miraculously managed to weed out mainly bad stuff.

but:
deuters first lp (mentioned that id regretting selling this on another thread)

and strangely enough:
sonic youth: sister (i could pick up another copy easily enough but never have)
the band: the band (ditto)

john eden

male pale and stale
There's some fanzines I regret chucking out because I now want to do blog entries about them!

Most of the stuff I've sold has been rubbish, or has been worth more to me as money than as vinyl - like the Current 93 LP which was *supposedly* limited to 93 copies which financed my part in a booklet I was involved in publishing. Ditto the Big Black "Headache" limited gruesome sleeve. Both came out on CD anyway...

martin

----
I really regret selling the "Slow Death" 12" by The Leather Nun - it was superb, and I can only put tjis act of idiocy down to having raise rent money at the last minute. It was the first issue too, with the pic of the burnt corpse in the deckchair.

labrat

hot on the heels of love
Nooooo!!!!!!

Throbbing gristle-assume power focus/journey through a body
PIL-metal box
Half japanese-half gentlemen/not beasts
The fall-totales turns

The one I really regret is assume power focus; TG's greatest live works
Ah Well….

Rachel Verinder

In one of my annual spring cleans about ten years ago I offloaded a (1990?) CD reissue of Pacific Ocean Blue by Dennis Wilson on the grounds that it was a pretty poor transfer and the sound quality on the CD was decidedly suboptimal (as though it had been taped at half volume). It has yet to reappear on CD (why? copyright? a Mike Love grudge?) and although I occasionally see second-hand copies retailing in the order of £30-40, I'm not convinced I'd want to pay more than £20 for it tops. It's the only gap in my otherwise complete Beach Boys/Wilson collection.

mysterioso

Captain Beefheart - Strictly Personal
I gave it away because I thought it was crap. I ripped it to MP3 on my PC in work the day I gave it away, and only listened to it again about three weeks later to realise it was a work of genius. All I had left for my £12.99 was a bunch of 96kbps MP3s. Stupid.

bassnation

the abyss
john eden said:
There's some fanzines I regret chucking out because I now want to do blog entries about them!

Most of the stuff I've sold has been rubbish, or has been worth more to me as money than as vinyl - like the Current 93 LP which was *supposedly* limited to 93 copies which financed my part in a booklet I was involved in publishing. Ditto the Big Black "Headache" limited gruesome sleeve. Both came out on CD anyway...

john, i've got shedloads of anarcho-punk fanzines at home, want me to copy some of them for you some time?

francesco

Minerva Estassi
john eden said:
the Current 93 LP which was *supposedly* limited to 93 copies

mal666.jpg

I selled mine (who was also autographated by Tibet) with other C93 and NWW and Coil and old psychedelia rarities to finance my going on living alone when in last year of beeing a student.

ud08.jpg

Sometimes I regret because they were really fine to have but since I have rebought what i miss on CD then is OK. Only the Chrome lps and expecially "insect and individual silence" by Nurse With Wound have been not reissued, and unluckly I have not a cassette or cd-r copy of the last that will never be reissued because Stapleton hate it (i didn't know that when i sell it).

Also lost my CD of "Starsailor", but it was mastered and tracked shitty, so still waiting for a Rhino proper remastered reissue (one hope sometime before the new Syd Barret lp.....)

john eden

male pale and stale
Marc - yeah, but don't go mad, eh? I'd LOVE anything which has some flux of pink indians in, or anything about "stop the city" - both things which need to be covered a bit more... :cool:

Francesco - I might have "insect and individual silence" on tape somewhere - I'll have a look.

mms

sometimes
not sold anything good, apart from maybe some clear records things, some reasonable mo wax stuff i never listened too,
but had a fair bit pinched, including some 99 recs stuff and some luscious reggae bits

fukaz

Woebot

Rachel Verinder said:
In one of my annual spring cleans about ten years ago I offloaded a (1990?) CD reissue of Pacific Ocean Blue by Dennis Wilson on the grounds that it was a pretty poor transfer and the sound quality on the CD was decidedly suboptimal (as though it had been taped at half volume). It has yet to reappear on CD (why? copyright? a Mike Love grudge?) and although I occasionally see second-hand copies retailing in the order of £30-40, I'm not convinced I'd want to pay more than £20 for it tops. It's the only gap in my otherwise complete Beach Boys/Wilson collection.

i have a vinyl copy and would be happy to burn a CD from it for you. pm me.