Slick Rick references in later hip hop

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Obviously rappers are well-known for paying homage to their Mc heroes by interpolating some of their most famous lines in their own tracks.

Recently I have noticed a slew of references to Slick Rick, and i am sure there are tens more. Could he, aside from Rakim, be the most honoured MC ever in this way?

Some spots off the top of my head:

Jay-Z - the Ruler's Back (super-obvious, but great)
Biggie - Hypnotise (the chorus echoes Rick's rhymes on 'Lodi Dodi')
Princess Superstar - Bad Babysitter (exaggerated pronunciation of 'Sarah' is clear homage to a character in 'The Moment I Feared')
East Flatbush Projects - Tried by 12 ('ladi dadi / and we like to party')

I've no doubt there are loads more...

crackerjack

Obviously rappers are well-known for paying homage to their Mc heroes by interpolating some of their most famous lines in their own tracks.

Recently I have noticed a slew of references to Slick Rick, and i am sure there are tens more. Could he, aside from Rakim, be the most honoured MC ever in this way?

Some spots off the top of my head:

Jay-Z - the Ruler's Back (super-obvious, but great)
Biggie - Hypnotise (the chorus echoes Rick's rhymes on 'Lodi Dodi')
Princess Superstar - Bad Babysitter (exaggerated pronunciation of 'Sarah' is clear homage to a character in 'The Moment I Feared')
East Flatbush Projects - Tried by 12 ('ladi dadi / and we like to party')

I've no doubt there are loads more...

Don't forget Snoop ripping him on his 1st album. And Amy W - "what kinda fuckery is this? you made me miss the slick rick gig"

hint

party record with a siren
Black Star - Children's Story

Missy Elliot - Irresistible Delicious (features Slick Rick, but Missy basically does an impression of him for her verses too)