Creel Pone

zhao

there are no accidents
i had a massive collection of this stuff at one point but found that i actually didn't enjoy listening to any of them :(

bunchoffives

Wild Horses
I have 5 of these...

My favorite is probably Blanche Neige by Jacques Lejeune, followed neck and neck by the Lejeune/Clozier release from the Perspectives Musicales series. Blanche Neige is perhaps more consistently mind-boggling but the Lejeune pieces on the other are to die for. Mr. Pone mentioned that the drums on Petite Suite were provided by the drummer from Magma! Interesting to think of the possibilities of prog/musique concrete cross-pollination (the Jean Claude Vannier album springs to mind...)

I love the ambition behind Creel Pone! If only more people would pick up on it and start DIY reissue labels. Also enjoy captures of the sleeves/artwork, nicely printed on film paper in higher quality color than you see on most (all) CD's.

Last edited:

iueke

lets not forget - creel isn't a 'reissue' label - its a bootlegger..
in principle this label is doing a service, making rare and expensive records heard. But in some cases these 'reissues' could have been done legally and cheaply with the composers blessing. Some of the musicians 'reissued' are very shocked that no attempts were made to contact them and do this the legal way.
i must say that i don't quite like having records bought off my site show up as creel boots..

MankyFiver

i bought a few of these things at the beginning thinking "ooh rare/unreleased weird gems" and they ended up being bleepy period pieces, bored me beyond belief, i'd rather listen to old sylvester records with tweety pie

bruno

est malade
i'm convinced the pythagoron creel pone triggered a psychotic episode in my best friend. i have no way to prove this but he had his episode immediately after listening to the whole thing on my sp 25s, no drugs were involved. best to stay away from it if you are unbalanced!

Woebot

lets not forget - creel isn't a 'reissue' label - its a bootlegger..
in principle this label is doing a service, making rare and expensive records heard. But in some cases these 'reissues' could have been done legally and cheaply with the composers blessing. Some of the musicians 'reissued' are very shocked that no attempts were made to contact them and do this the legal way.
i must say that i don't quite like having records bought off my site show up as creel boots..

you have a point f'sure. i think i make sense of what they're doing in relation to the mp3 blogs which to my mind seem innately disrespectful.

however, and this is where i do start to wonder, what happens when these CDs are then leaked onto the web? (which i have seen happen).

without that aspect of it i'm not too unhappy, the amount of discs shifted (isn't 100 the limit of each pressing?) we're really talking about something pretty low-key.

still i guess it'd be nice to ask and receive the blessing, but (and this is a practical point...) i suspect the composers would demand crazy money and the whole thing would get bogged down in legality/technicality. the whole enterprise would become impossible.

martin

----
The Pierry Henry 'Roger Lafosse' one where he's got the bloke's head wired up to the brainwave generator is the best one. Ruth White's "Flowers of Evil" is pretty good too. I started listening to the Pythagoran one but gave up about 20 minutes in.

EDIT - has anyone heard 'Iowa Ear Music', as apparently that's ker-razy

jonny mugwump

exotic pylon
apologies for repeating from a thread i started today but i didnt realise this one was up and running so i t makes sense to post here.

Anyway, my current faves- After Guernica by Morris Knight- electronics, all manner of weird ass instrumentation, long-form poetry about lost mankind and voices all over the place and through every effect. Heins Hoffman-Richter's abstractfragmentfun with the never-beaten title of Music To Freak Your Friends and Break Your Lease and the wicked cover-art mugshot of Elsa Lanchester's Bride of Frankenstein and my main nightspin Costin Mieranu's Luna Cinese which is a 2-part musical dramaturgy, global spoken-word, weird-drone, b-movie scifi effects, haunted harbour bells- god, the fucking works and mighty creepy it is too.

i wonder if the Ghost Box crew are into these....

Focus Group stuff is very close in terms of fragmentation and as i just mentioned elsewhere, Mordant Music's truly wonderful Travelogues sequence seems to be very concrete/ tape call-it-what-you-will inspired. Anybody been checking those out by the way...?

woops

is not like other people
creel pone recording

after reading this thread i've checked out my first creel pone - bent lorentzen's electronic music.

first and last thing i noticed was how shockingly the vinyl had been digitised - you can hear the record player moaning and groaning throughout.

impossible to enjoy the music like that.