Britney

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
I'm gonna start the Britney thread and I don't care.

So the best thing I read about here THIS WEEK was this, from the News Of The World Sunday tabloid in the UK :

"At one point, a clearly disturbed Britney ran out of the courtroom, yelling : "Eat it, lick it, snort it, fuck it".

Is it just me, or has she reached Michael Jackson levels? That level of impossible comprehension of fame that is so bewildering that it's impregnable...Has anyone heard the album? The reviews here in the UK of it are unanimously blinding, it makes me wonder.

N

nomadologist

I almost started this yesterday but I thought I'd get kicked off Dissensus if I did.

Have you Brits seen the video for "Gimme More" yet?? It's amazing. She finally looks like an actual sex worker. The entire thing is about 20 seconds of footage looped where she's swinging on a pole and in what looks like some meth whore haunt in Scotsdale, Arizona. The song is excellent as well.

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
I almost started this yesterday but I thought I'd get kicked off Dissensus if I did.

Have you Brits seen the video for "Gimme More" yet?? It's amazing. She finally looks like an actual sex worker. The entire thing is about 20 seconds of footage looped where she's swinging on a pole and in what looks like some meth whore haunt in Scotsdale, Arizona. The song is excellent as well.

It's a very, very clever video

looks like it was shot on a cameraphone, but the lights beind are in time with the edits, slides occasionally into very subtle black and white as edit, which I've never seen done before.

I've not really been into her as a thing before - I liked 'oops i did it again' but didn't think it was anything interesting, but she seems to have made a meta-leap into something unfathomable. But I'm really, really hungover, I might regret writing this.

N

nomadologist

the higher pitched funky synth parts are amazing...I don't know who's producing her now, but I think musically I like "Gimme More" better than "Toxic"

almost seems like she's going for a JT/Timbaland vibe on this one...

N

nomadologist

ahhhh, makes sense. i know somebody who's dad is in the industry, and he said bloodshy and avant spent countless hours digitally correcting the pitch on britney's vocals for toxic...this is hearsay

swears

preppy-kei
Britney always struck me as really dull and a bit thick, no spark of a personality at all.

She even seems to have gone nuts in quite an obvious way.

Christina is a far superior pop star, better tunes too, on the whole.

N

nomadologist

Christina has better pipes, that's for sure. I like her queer-friendly image, as well.

dHarry

Christina has better pipes, that's for sure. I like her queer-friendly image, as well.

LEAVE BRITNEY ALONE! :eek:

But pipes, schmipes - Hit Me Baby, Oops, Slave 4 U, Toxic and Gimme More are absolute classics; and I much prefer her as a complete pop confection/creation-without-talent than Xtina-5-octaves-and-can-sing-in-anyone's-style-better-than-they-ever-could (tho' the gay kiss in the Beautiful vid was a Good Thing).

That camera-phone strip-club video was inevitable - the second thought I had on first hearing the song (the first was "WOW!") was "pole-dance anthem". Only surprising thing really (and a relief, tbh) is how tame the vid is - I was half-expecting pixellated full-frontal.

N

nomadologist

I know, I feel bad for all the strippers who are going to have to dance to Gimme More like 10 times a day for the next year.

swears

preppy-kei
" a complete pop confection/creation-without-talent"

Call me a snobby rockist, but I think this approach rarely actually produces good music. Everything good Britney's done (I like Toxic and Boys I admit) seems to be down to talent they've paid in, like the Neptunes or whoever. It's as if they could have roped any young attractive girl in and hyped a string of hits. I'm more into pop stars that have an idea of what they want to do, and are actually good at performing/(semi) writing fantastic "event" records like Thriller or Justified.

rockism 4 EVAH

There are some really good beats on that new album, some dubstep wobble on Freakshow, a couple sound like pitched down grime, it's an odd album. The autotuning on her voice is incredible, she sounds like a robot at times.

turtles

in the sea
I really like the stylus haiku on her new album:

Britney Spears - Blackout
It is mean that your
handlers give you beats but not
an intervention.

big up britney. my one roomate put up a big poster of her in our living room which all our other roomates hate. Philistines! Britney is great (also very disturbed)

Gavin

booty bass intellectual
"Eat it, lick it, snort it, fuck it".

Oh man she should cut this track QUICK.

Gimme More is pretty brilliant, I love the pitchshifted "more" that sounds like puking. I wish there were more coked-out spoken word sluttery ("I just want more") instead of her singing which has always sucked.

Christina Aguilera has yet to make a song I like, but I guess she's like a better role model or something. With fake tits.

shudder

I dunno... this song sounds, *ok*, but not particularly special. The video is just... strange. Her pole-dancing is so lackluster, as if she's not particularly trying. Is that the idea? If so, what exactly is the point? Also, the whole blond-britney-at-the-bar watching dancing-britney is not really exploited to any good effect.

N

nomadologist

you don't even like the weird schizo background vocals of someone going "errrangeerranngeer" (or something like that)?

my other favorite part: "it's britney bitch" and "you're gonna have to remove me, cuz i ain't going nowhere"

Last edited:
N

nomadologist

Christina Aguilera has yet to make a song I like, but I guess she's like a better role model or something. With fake tits.

yeah I kinda got angry with her when she did that. and after she married that really ugly rich dude. at least she publicly overcame her anorexia.