Child Healthcare Veto--Again

N

nomadologist

http://www.abcnews.go.com/Politics/WireStory?id=3808192&page=1

The veto-threatened measure would add an estimated 4 million beneficiaries to an existing program that provides coverage for children from families who earn too much to qualify for Medicaid but cannot afford private insurance. The program currently provides benefits to roughly 6 million children.

At a cost of $35 billion, the bill would be paid for through an increase in tobacco taxes, including a 61-cent rise on a package of cigarettes.

Bush vetoed an earlier children's health bill this fall, and Republican critics said it failed to give a high enough priority to covering poor children, marked a Democratic attempt to expand government-run health care, and did not take sufficient steps to prevent the children of illegal immigrants from receiving benefits.

Democrats failed to override his veto on a vote of 273-156, 13 short of the two-thirds majority they needed.

I'm moving to Montreal.

zhao

there are no accidents
what'd you expect... the middle class is less than dirt to this administration. poor people can all freeze to death for all they care. and the CHILDREN of the poor? are you kidding me?

N

nomadologist

What's particularly scary is that dems have the majority and they still can't get enough votes to squash the veto. WTF?????? I know there's some clause about military spending slipped into this bill, tacked on the end or something. I'm unclear on exactly what the clause is about.

STN

sou'wester
How often does 'bill-padding' go on in the States? My mum mentioned it once (about 20 years ago) but I'm completely in the dark about it...

N

nomadologist

All the time. The special interest lobbies over here basically own Congress and the Senate. For example: the anti-tobacco lobby AND the pro-tobacco lobby both give heavily to campaigners.

It's a huge mess.